Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Are DDR machines on the verge of extinction?!? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145580)

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 01:38 AM

Are DDR machines on the verge of extinction?!?

Dance Dance Revolution were highly popularized in arcades everywhere in early 2000. Now the year is 2016, and they are much harder to find.

I have seen the shift and decline of classic arcades in Dallas, Texas in the past decade. Since arcades are becoming increasingly scarce, DDR machines have decreased as well.

I visited Mexico (city of Monterrey) last year, and to my suprise, they have more DDR machines in their arcades then Dallas.
Mexico even seems like their DDR players are more involved in the arcade style platform then us.

Is it Dallas, Texas or is this a statewide occurence in America?
Are DDR machines in danger of becoming extinct to the public?
Is it just USA or does the world have plenty of other toys now to occupy us from DDR?

Tyson ultima 09-25-2016 01:53 AM

Re: Are DDR machines on the verge of extinction?!?

Uhh DDR machines are actually getting MORE popular because they are at select dave and busters and round 1 locations which continuously expand.

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 02:00 AM

I noticed you live in NJ so i'm guessing thats a good sign of a comeback but doesn't indicate it is a nationwide comeback.
We have a few Dave and Busters down here in Dallas but I havent been to one in years to know if they're still present.
Never heard of round 1, sounds like a NJ thing.

Tyson ultima 09-25-2016 02:03 AM

Round 1 is a Japanese arcade/amusement company that expanded from Japan to the US and is slowly establishing its stores within malls in the US. Each round 1 is equipped with at least a couple DDR A machines. Dave and Buster's have DDR in again select locations and are choosing to expand their machines to their new stores being built.

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 4477673)
Round 1 is a Japanese arcade/amusement company that expanded from Japan to the US and is slowly establishing its stores within malls in the US. Each round 1 is equipped with at least a couple DDR A machines. Dave and Buster's have DDR in again select locations and are choosing to expand their machines to their new stores being built.

Could you elaborate on the term "DDR A machines"? I've only seen DDR extreme and DDR Supernovas in my area. Is this a newly released edition?

Glad to hear arcades are gradually growing in the states.

Arntonach 09-25-2016 02:14 AM

Yeah, DDR A was just released and they now provide e-Amusement access internationally too.

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arntonach (Post 4477675)
Yeah, DDR A was just released and they now provide e-Amusement access internationally too.

Man Dallas is slacking.... I think that there is a void in demanding players down here.
Are their new songs on here as well and/or is this a collective version of DDR like extreme with multiple series on it?

Arntonach 09-25-2016 03:07 AM

Oh, there's a shittonne of new songs and crossovers; ever since beatnation records had their "new generation" of artists, things have gone into overdrive. Now there's a lot of vocaloid and touhou songs in bemani games, DDR included, with new artists like OSTER project, Redalice and RoughSketch making music for the series, it's pretty damn amazing.

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 04:36 AM

It's a shame I had no knowledge of this till now, thanks for the stats.
I've been out the loop for too long. Im hoping one of them will pop up around my area.

devonin 09-25-2016 09:06 AM

The decline of DDR machines around me has nothing to do with people finding other ways to amuse themselves, and everything to do with the places that have them not being willing to put money into properly maintaining them.

The last place I found a DDR machine, only the left pad even worked, and the start button was half broken and got stuck when you pushed it, so half the time you ended up not being able to change any options, or suddenly picking a song you didn't want when you were scrolling through.

Places around here stop having them if they break bad enough to need serious repairs.

MooMoo_Cowfreak 09-25-2016 09:08 AM

Don't discount Pump it Up machines, I mean I know it's not what you're looking for specifically but that game is fun as hell too

Dinglesberry 09-25-2016 09:29 AM

Just wonderin boys - has there ever been a 4key arcade game? Like I'm talkin some beatmania tier stuff with 4 keys instead of 8 or 5 or 7 or w/e, just some good old fashioned 4k arrow tapping skill in the arcade

Or are we forever destined to play alone in our basements :( Imagine going to the arcade with an arcade machine with stepmania + a nice keyboard on it l0l

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4477711)
The decline of DDR machines around me has nothing to do with people finding other ways to amuse themselves, and everything to do with the places that have them not being willing to put money into properly maintaining them.

The last place I found a DDR machine, only the left pad even worked, and the start button was half broken and got stuck when you pushed it, so half the time you ended up not being able to change any options, or suddenly picking a song you didn't want when you were scrolling through.

Places around here stop having them if they break bad enough to need serious repairs.

Yea very true, I didnt take that into consideration.
That is the problem we are having over here. Not enough people know how to play it so the demand to fix them aren't there. I know of a machine that has a pad with two broken arrows.

They are poorly managed. The majority of DDR machines that make money right now are kids who throw money in it without knowing how to play it then they walk away from it because they are confused on how to play it correctly. I recieve free games all the time.

MooMoo: Pump it up, isn't that the game with 5 arrows that have them in all opposite directions compared to DDR? Like 4 diagonal arrows and a center button? I havent seen one of those in atleast 5 years. They actually have some fun songs and I began to become fond of it. It has similiar mechanics as DDR. I actually became fairly decent at it.

Dingleberry: That would defeat the purpose of it being called "Dance Dance Revolution", theres no "dancing" involved when your strictly using your fingers.

MooMoo_Cowfreak 09-25-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-DDR-Philosopher (Post 4477758)
MooMoo: Pump it up, isn't that the game with 5 arrows that have them in all opposite directions compared to DDR? Like 4 diagonal arrows and a center button? I havent seen one of those in atleast 5 years. They actually have some fun songs and I began to become fond of it. It has similiar mechanics as DDR. I actually became fairly decent at it.

That's the one! It's quite popular in Mexico and I'm right off the border so I've got a decent number of machines nearby, but I'm not too sure about Dallas.

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 01:11 PM

When I visited Mexico I didnt see any but thats good to know they're still floating around.
What area of the border are you referring to?I might have to go check them out on my way to Mexico. And do you know what cities in Mexico have them?
Are these new editions or are they the ones that been around for awhile? I can't even remember the name of the songs or I would reference them.

MooMoo_Cowfreak 09-25-2016 01:17 PM

The Dave and Buster's in El Paso has one

It's the latest edition, but PiU Prime has all the old songs too. Some of the songs you may remember would be Beethoven Virus, Canon D, just all the classics by Banya, some of which got stepped in SM and such too

Kawaii025 09-25-2016 01:44 PM

I can only speak for my area, Nashville, TN, and the game is pretty popular here. I know of players who live in Kentucky, Indiana, & North Alabama who travel here on a regular basis to play DDR.
It kinda surprises me that Dallas doesn't have a DDR A cabinet nearby.

Gundam-Dude 09-25-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4477714)
Just wonderin boys - has there ever been a 4key arcade game? Like I'm talkin some beatmania tier stuff with 4 keys instead of 8 or 5 or 7 or w/e, just some good old fashioned 4k arrow tapping skill in the arcade

sound voltex, just with the added fx keys and knobs

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 03:14 PM

MooMoo: ahh ok sweet. Those names brought back good memories. Those are definitely the names of the best songs I became fond of.
I will try scower a dave and busters in the area and I might have some luck then.

Kawaii: DDR has had a major decrease in popularity in Texas. Ten years ago their were arcades everywhere with atleast two in them. Since arcades are losing ground, their isn't too many places to put them. I know of two in my area but theyre hardly played.
DDR A cabinet? Is that a club or group of some sort?

Red Blaster 09-25-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4477714)

Or are we forever destined to play alone in our basements :( Imagine going to the arcade with an arcade machine with stepmania + a nice keyboard on it l0l

A few years back I made this crude design for a dedicated rhythm gaming tabletop mini cabinet, if I can dig it up I'll post it, but essentially it was something like this

minus the joystick and buttons - which would obviously be replaced by the persons keyboard of choice or some sort of switches depending on preference.

I just personally never felt it was worth the hassle because of the cost involved.