Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Skill (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=127308)

Spoiled_Milk 11-10-2012 07:55 PM

Skill

I'm just wondering how some of you went about getting your tremendous amount of skill. I'm pretty stuck, not really progressing at all and no matter what I try, I never seem to get any better than I already am. If you look at my best score that's pretty much where my skill shuts off.

And don't tell me some shit like "Just practice" because I've been playing for over 5 years.

popsicle_3000 11-10-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Skill

now, i dont have 'tremendous' skill like other people, but:
practice. just kept playing.

MephBoss 11-10-2012 07:57 PM

Just practice. :)

Riotpolice 11-10-2012 07:59 PM

Just Practice, You'll get better. If you don't like people telling you to practice all the time, maybe this game just isn't for you.

Fantasticone 11-10-2012 07:59 PM

Just keep playing.

NoPrivacy 11-10-2012 08:09 PM

Practice songs with patterns you aren't good at, until you can notice a decent difference.

Along with that, practice will give you the boost you need .. Just sometimes, it can take a long time .. Or sometimes you'll boost daily. Depends on how BAD you want it.

And along with "And don't tell me some shit like "Just practice" because I've been playing for over 5 years." If you can't accept everyone who's at the top has had to practice, then you need to quit this game. I've played for over 5 years myself, and i've only noticeably boosted 4 times.

Hakulyte 11-10-2012 08:23 PM

The practice is a lie.

It's all about having the right keyboard, no lag, good posture and building comfort on patterns. The best general tip would be to ask yourself why you're getting goods/misses or can't do specific parts and work on how to "solve" that section. The only reason why you need to practice is in order to attempt to find ways to optimize how to play, not just to play for playing. The best pianists are not the one who enjoys what they're doing, it's the ones that wanted to surpass everyone and sat down to learn how to do the more difficult things. Playing for fun is just some form of gaming procrastination when it comes to skill.

You probably will want to play for fun and focus on one thing to improve at a time to keep things enjoyable. It's better to do too since trying too hard could lead to bad habits. It's just a matter of how you want to optimize fun vs getting better.

xVaLoRx 11-10-2012 08:25 PM

Just have fun and enjoy the music / steps that you are playing. You can't get better at something if you are frustrated all the time with how well are you doing.

Spoiled_Milk 11-10-2012 08:31 PM

Yea, I save replays for reference to look back and see where my PA goes to shit and pick songs apart. I remember where that happens more than half the time, try to correct the problem but some of the patterns are literally impossible for me to hit. It isn't a problem with reading the patterns either, I have absolutely no idea what it is.

U.N. Owen 11-10-2012 08:32 PM

Sometimes taking a break can help quite a bit. It sorta wipes the slate clean and allows you to forget some of the bad habits you may have. I took a two month break last summer and it worked wonders.

Oh, and stepmania.

Lambdadelta 11-10-2012 08:40 PM

I'm going on 4 years of being on this site.

I just recently jumped from High D3 to Borderline/Low D6.

Took me 3.6 god damn years to get this good.

And I'm still extremely low on the food chain.

Getting to where AJ,Alex,Roy or Luis is doesn't happen over night friend. ;)

Listen to what Hakulyte and NoPrivacy had to say. You can learn a thing or two from them. Hakulyte helped me boost into D6 after all :)

noname219 11-10-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiled_Milk (Post 3800868)
And don't tell me some shit like "Just practice" because I've been playing for over 5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 (Post 3800870)
practice. just kept playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephBoss (Post 3800871)
Just practice. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riotpolice (Post 3800872)
Just Practice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasticone (Post 3800873)
Just keep playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPrivacy (Post 3800880)
Practice

lol
I'd say :
1. Set realistic goals (so you won't quit soon after)
2. Tournaments (helps skillboosting on a short period of time)
3. Wait between sessions (for me, it's about 3 days)
4. Alternate between harder songs and easier songs you can AAA
5. Write down what was your best score of the day. You'll realize that you're actually improving faster than you think.

Spoiled_Milk 11-10-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambdadelta (Post 3800901)
I'm going on 4 years of being on this site.

I just recently jumped from High D3 to Borderline/Low D6.

Took me 3.6 god damn years to get this good.

And I'm still extremely low on the food chain.

Getting to where AJ,Alex,Roy or Luis is doesn't happen over night friend. ;)

Listen to what Hakulyte and NoPrivacy had to say. You can learn a thing or two from them. Hakulyte helped me boost into D6 after all :)

Lol. I feel ya. But like I said, I was on this site playing for 4 years before this account was created. Definitely takes time but I feel like for as long as I've played and as much as I pick songs apart to study patterns and what-not that I'd have had a huge boost by now.

popsicle_3000 11-10-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiled_Milk (Post 3800904)
Lol. I feel ya. But like I said, I was on this site playing for 4 years before this account was created. Definitely takes time but I feel like for as long as I've played and as much as I pick songs apart to study patterns and what-not that I'd have had a huge boost by now.

i played for 6 years before I was able to AAA a 6!

you've got some high D3/low D4 scores, so you're doing alright!

Lambdadelta 11-10-2012 09:07 PM

Also if you don't play stepmania I highly suggest you start to.

It also helped with my immense boost in reading and speed.

popsicle_3000 11-10-2012 09:13 PM

what is it about SM? everyone says it, but idk why

mrpreggers 11-10-2012 09:15 PM

if i knew what i was doing id be high d6 by now just play random shit until you get good it's worked for me so far and yeah i don't ever EVER play sm

Xx{Midnight}xX 11-10-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 (Post 3800925)
what is it about SM? everyone says it, but idk why

Here's what bothers me

all people will tell you is to play SM. The reasoning behind this is realistically SM is a more difficult game to score in due to pickier windows for each judgement. But what they leave out is SM teaches you a lot of things else wise you don't need to know, like hold stream and dodging mines. And due to the timing difference the skill from that game doesn't always just transfer over to this one.

Hakulyte pretty much covers what I think. But to add on to it, if you can't enjoy the game, you're gonna progress really slowly. So make sure you try to enjoy it.

I've recently cut down my play time and I'm enjoying it a lot more, and recently I've had a few small boosts which I've been hoping for.

i heart candy 11-10-2012 10:06 PM

Reasons you play SM
1. It makes you faster.
2. You gain more stamina.
3. You play harder charts than ffr.
4. You learn to become a bit more accurate.
Warning:SM will hinder your FFR abilities if played for a days.
Best way to play SM effectively is you play stuff that you barely pass. For example, when I first got into SM, I tried to pass Ultrabeat Supreme in Icy's pack. I literally kept failing the first 20 seconds of the song. I kept working at it, and I finally can pass the song with a AA. Now I'm trying to work on a 1.1 pass and hopefully AA that one day. The point is of the story, when playing SM, you must set goals (realistic ones too). I could keep going, but it's up to you if you want to get in the game.

foxfire667 11-10-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX (Post 3800956)
Here's what bothers me

all people will tell you is to play SM. The reasoning behind this is realistically SM is a more difficult game to score in due to pickier windows for each judgement. But what they leave out is SM teaches you a lot of things else wise you don't need to know, like hold stream and dodging mines. And due to the timing difference the skill from that game doesn't always just transfer over to this one.

I've never understood why (unless you are experiencing lag) people say they have trouble migrating their SM skill over to FFR. I could completely understand if it's the first few times you've played FFR, or you've played strictly SM for like a year, but if you play both of them occasionally it should pose no real issue. Perhaps putting your FFR arrow receptors where your SM ones might help you, I've been doing that recently.

You may not need to know how to handle hold notes or mines in FFR, but they can help you improve in useful areas regardless. Hold notes can help you improve your ability to hit more awkward patterns, and also significantly helps improve your finger's independence from one another. I don't particularly like simfiles that are riddled with mines for difficulty purposes, but keeping yourself alert for such things could translate to improved focus and concentration when reading files.

SM essentially does what FFR would do for you in terms of skill boosting, except on a more exponential scale. You don't really need StepMania, but using it generally will help you get better faster.

You might be able to get the same benefits from just playing songs that are a fairly decent level above your AAA range (80-90%), and play them until you become physically tired of FFR. People typically play SM to challenge themselves, so I suppose if you can do that on FFR without it getting repetitive, then perhaps it won't be too much different.