Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   FreeRice (want to feed people with your brain?) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=92188)

sonic-fast-fingers 04-30-2008 09:31 PM

FreeRice (want to feed people with your brain?)

The website is www.freerice.org

it is probably to most awesome idea that i have ever heard of. All you have to do is choose a the correct definition for a word they give you and for each definition that you get right, they will donate 20 grains of rice..i just started today and i have already donated 13,560 grains! you may even learn a few new vocab words.

Check it out and try two maybe three vocab words anything will help. Feel free to just post stuff to keep this forum at the top so that more and more people can help other mis fortunate people!

www.freerice.org

here is their FAQs

"Frequently Asked Questions
How does playing the vocabulary game at FreeRice help me?

Learning new vocabulary has tremendous benefits. It can help you:

* Formulate your ideas better
* Write better papers, emails and business letters
* Speak more precisely and persuasively
* Comprehend more of what you read
* Read faster because you comprehend better
* Get better grades in high school, college and graduate school
* Score higher on tests like the SAT, GRE, LSAT and GMAT
* Perform better at job interviews and conferences
* Sell yourself, your services, and your products better
* Be more effective and successful at your job

After you have done FreeRice for a couple of days, you may notice an odd phenomenon. Words that you have never consciously used before will begin to pop into your head while you are speaking or writing. You will feel yourself using and knowing more words.
How does the FreeRice vocabulary program work?

FreeRice has a custom database containing thousands of words at varying degrees of difficulty. There are words appropriate for people just learning English and words that will challenge the most scholarly professors. In between are thousands of words for students, business people, homemakers, doctors, truck drivers, retired people… everyone!

FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is best for keeping you at the “outer fringe” of your vocabulary, where learning can take place.

There are 55 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get much above level 48.
How is the difficulty level for each word determined?

The program keeps track of how many people get each word right or wrong, and then adjusts each word’s difficulty level accordingly. So the words at the easiest levels are the ones that people most often get right. The words at the hardest levels are the ones that people most often get wrong. As more and more people have played the game, these levels have become increasingly more accurate.
Is FreeRice adding more words?

Yes. A team of professional lexicographers from the firm of Lexiteria has worked to add words and additional levels to the FreeRice database. Five new levels were added in late January 2008 and more will follow. In particular, the hunt is on to find some of the most difficult words in the English language. But we are also looking to add easy words, medium words and all the other words you might ever want to know. In short, we do not want you to run out of vocabulary to learn anytime soon...

How do I hear a word pronounced?

To hear one of the vocabulary words pronounced out loud, click on the speaker symbol to the right of the word. Speech over the Internet is not an exact science and there are a number of things you can check if you do not hear the word pronounced. Check that your computer has speakers, that the volume is turned up and not on mute, and that you have Flash installed (most computers do). Also, some recently added words may not have the pronunciation done yet. The pronunciations are very kindly provided by eSpindle.org, a non-profit organization that tutors vocabulary and spelling online.

Why do I see some words repeated?

Whenever you get a word wrong, FreeRice will repeat it a few turns later to give you a second chance at it. You can turn this feature off in the Options page if you like.
What is the Options page?

On the Options page you can set up FreeRice to work the way you want it to. For instance, you can choose to always start at a certain vocabulary level. You can choose whether you want FreeRice to remember how much total rice you have donated the next time you play. You can choose whether to re-test yourself on words that you get wrong.
What happens if my computer suddenly loses power while I am in the middle of playing? Does my donation still count?

Yes, once your screen says that you have donated a certain amount of rice, that means our servers have registered it. For example, suppose your screen says that you have donated 120 grains of rice. If your computer then suddenly loses power, or you close your browser, or you click to go somewhere else, your donation has already been counted.
Who pays for the donated rice?

The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen. This is regular advertising for these companies, but it is also something more. Through their advertising at FreeRice, these companies support both learning (free vocabulary for everyone) and reducing hunger (free rice for the hungry). We commend these companies for their participation at FreeRice.
If FreeRice has the rice to give, why not give it all away right now?

FreeRice is not sitting on a pile of rice―you are earning it 20 grains at a time. Here is how it works. When you play the game, advertisements appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these advertisements is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice donated to hungry people.
Does FreeRice make any money from this?

No, it does not. FreeRice runs the site at no profit."

flipsta_lombax 04-30-2008 09:34 PM

Re: FreeRice (want to feed people with your brain?)

Are you aware of the rice shortage? :[ I did this before too, but doing this now would be out of the question. I wonder where the government gets it all.

omgitznpv 04-30-2008 09:36 PM

Stargroup has posted a thread about this before.

I donated like a ton
rofl

sonic-fast-fingers 04-30-2008 09:36 PM

read their FAQs

or here

i retrieved it for you
"Who pays for the donated rice?

The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen. This is regular advertising for these companies, but it is also something more. Through their advertising at FreeRice, these companies support both learning (free vocabulary for everyone) and reducing hunger (free rice for the hungry). We commend these companies for their participation at FreeRice.
If FreeRice has the rice to give, why not give it all away right now?

FreeRice is not sitting on a pile of rice―you are earning it 20 grains at a time. Here is how it works. When you play the game, advertisements appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these advertisements is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice donated to hungry people."

lumphoboextreme 04-30-2008 09:51 PM

they were talking about this site in my english class like a month ago. xD

sonic-fast-fingers 04-30-2008 09:55 PM

you should totally do a couple of definitions! honestly its really easy and kind of fun

[TeRa] 04-30-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thread Title
Feed people with your brain

Zombies?

jugglinguy 04-30-2008 10:00 PM

Our school uses it all the time. What I'm wandering is where they send it to and whatnot.

SithCait22 04-30-2008 10:05 PM

I did this and it got boring. After 4 hours of the same 30 words...

abro13 04-30-2008 10:14 PM

I wonder how much they pay someone to sit there counting grains of rice...? "Congratulations! You've donated 500 grains of rice! One...Two...Three....."

Reach 04-30-2008 11:10 PM

This was pretty fun actually. It was really easy for awhile, though it got incredibly difficult. Reached level 52 before dropping a bunch D:

MalReynolds 05-1-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abro13 (Post 2145270)
I wonder how much they pay someone to sit there counting grains of rice...? "Congratulations! You've donated 500 grains of rice! One...Two...Three....."

Your strangely low level of reading comprehension is almost as disturbing as your avatar.

It's all in the machines. Which, by the way, we shouldn't trust.

Adamaja456 05-1-2008 07:57 AM

yea i started doing this a month after the website was made. It's pretty cool i guess.

Personally, I'd rather play FFR then feed the hungry :)

MalReynolds 05-1-2008 08:41 AM

Luke 12:5

"And the hungry shall go hungry as the fingers shall go dance."

sonic-fast-fingers 05-1-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalReynolds (Post 2145739)
Your strangely low level of reading comprehension is almost as disturbing as your avatar.

It's all in the machines. Which, by the way, we shouldn't trust.

wow, i have to say that you owned him ridiculously. great job (even though that website should promote peace)...

anyways im glad that people are trying it! and for whoever said "im tired of the same 30 words" stop getting those same 30 words wrong you idiot if you get a word wrong it will pop up again.

but anyways everyone go donate rice (and if you ask any question just read the very first forum post of this forum i have pasted all of their FAQs so look before you ask)

x After Dawn x 05-2-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalReynolds (Post 2145760)
Luke 12:5

"And the hungry shall go hungry as the fingers shall go dance."

haha

sonic-fast-fingers 05-2-2008 11:19 PM

Im glad that more people in the world are not like MalReynolds and After Dawn. Well I hope that that the majority of people are not like them.

meno_rocks123 05-2-2008 11:27 PM

They count the rice by weight.
If you couldn't figure that out, you're not smart enough to use the website.

sarahxjane 05-2-2008 11:41 PM

I have donated so much.
As long as it is all legitimate.

Here are some more links:

http://www.freepoverty.com/
http://www.freeflour.com/
http://children.care2.com/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6324544002
More here.

And you can help animals too.

Zythus 05-2-2008 11:46 PM

Wow thats great....