Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you improving right now (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149454)

Spenner 07-22-2018 01:40 PM

What are you improving right now

I think 2018 has been a year with a lot of people aiming for self improvement. It's certainly been something I see a lot of.

What have you been improving in yourself, or have seen significant improvement with?

I feel as though my awareness of my mind has improved. I'm able to avoid triggering situations better, or at least to deal with them in a more controlled way. It's allowed me to start working full-time again, even though it's a challenge to be consistent.

I'm also doing a lot more. I'm investing my time into experiences, instead of just saving money.

I'm also in general more goal oriented. I think this is able to keep my depression suspended most of the time, because I have focus on keeping myself collected for the goals.

Celirra 07-22-2018 01:42 PM

Re: What are you improving right now

I'm looking into going to the gym soon

MooMoo_Cowfreak 07-22-2018 01:59 PM

Straight up the reboot of Queer Eye on Netflix has got me up and motivated and doing things this summer. I've spent quite a bit of time refurnishing and moving things around my apartment, it finally feels fully settled in after a year of kinda letting it stagnate. It's very cozy and homely now, love it. Can't wait for the school year to start and a new set of students!

komochii 07-22-2018 02:20 PM

Trying to fix my health by eating properly

Edit: trying to motivate myself to eat at all*

komochii 07-22-2018 02:22 PM

More or less dedicate 100% of my time to doing this but the pain my body feels is still unbearable half the time lololololol

SKG_Scintill 07-22-2018 03:15 PM

been doing daily sets of pushups for the past 2-3 months
also stress tolerance

MarcusHawkins 07-22-2018 04:13 PM

As a Music Major (Percussion Performance), I'm working on the vast array of excerpts for my required audition into an appropriate Large Ensemble next month!

They are all popular and have been done hundreds of thousands of times, but some are still technically difficult to pull off! They are all fun, though!

xXOpkillerXx 07-22-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4635319)
been doing daily sets of pushups for the past 2-3 months
also stress tolerance

How's the progress so far ?

who_cares973 07-22-2018 04:24 PM

Been dieting and working out and just working on myself in general

Moria 07-22-2018 04:58 PM

my hands are about the only things i'm improving that i can talk about publically, got attacked by a wolf and lost the use of some fingers and a thumb. they're recovering, life is great

SKG_Scintill 07-22-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4635354)
How's the progress so far ?

well I've never had triceps before, now I do
as for stress levels, my bowel aches are decreasing and I've been able to perform outside again

Sanjixcon 07-22-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moria (Post 4635365)
my hands are about the only things i'm improving that i can talk about publically, got attacked by a wolf and lost the use of some fingers and a thumb. they're recovering, life is great

is this a twg joke?

if not, holy shit man... how'd that happen??

Spenner 07-22-2018 06:39 PM

I think the fact that I can use weed medicinally now is a pretty notable improvement for me. For the longest time, while it would get me high and whatnot, it would always be... shakey, a bit paranoid, and my heart would feel uncomfortable.

But now, I'm able to analyze the incoming thoughts that would normally lead to paranoid thought loops, or any thought loop for that matter, and I'm able to avoid falling into them. It means my training of CBT (I guess, I'm self taught for all this therapy business, shaped through my own experiences) is paying off because I'm seeing results.

That's why I'm able to work, now. I'm able to swim through the incoming intrusive thoughts. It's so easy to get distracted by nightmarish associations I have in my head, but I'm able to not take them as seriously most of the time, and move on. And for the intrusive thoughts that won't leave my head for an entire work shift... I've learned to just ignore them. Or if I'm lucky, I'll have the capacity to play music I want to hear. I generally need to be in a decent mood for that though.

FirstMaple8 07-22-2018 07:42 PM

i've been improving form, jacks, accuracy, and consistancy.

Magiante 07-22-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moria (Post 4635365)

Oh my gosh I'm sorry to hear :(. I hope your recovery is speedy!! Typing can't be fun I imagine.

rushyrulz 07-23-2018 09:25 AM

salesforce skills

MikeShinoda12345 07-23-2018 10:34 AM

I just graduated from university, and now I'm back home and about to start a high school teaching job~
This is my first job after getting an undergrad degree, teaching 22 classes a week, and I look super young so I hope I don't get bullied by the students. But just looking forward to getting full-time job experience and getting better at a variety of skills that come with teaching (e.g. public speaking)

Ghost_Medley 07-23-2018 10:49 AM

I’ve been eating more reasonable portions and I started my job back in february/march. They appreciate my dedication and I think a lot of people there are kind and respectful.

Mahou 07-23-2018 11:00 AM

I spent a majority of last couple of years working on my fitness level. I’ve managed to maintain and still find enjoyment from it.

Now it’s just saving and increasing income. So far I’m doing very well and managed to double my yearly income.

xXOpkillerXx 07-23-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4635739)
I spent a majority of last couple of years working on my fitness level. I’ve managed to maintain and still find enjoyment from it.

Now it’s just saving and increasing income. So far I’m doing very well and managed to double my yearly income.

Woah ! Investing or just found a much better job ? (or both?)

Mahou 07-23-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4635745)
Woah ! Investing or just found a much better job ? (or both?)

Finding a better job + moving up.
I'm hoping within the next few years I'll be able to just work for myself. That's my new long term goal.

Edit: I kind of branched out a bit more. Exploring different avenues and met some good people. As time goes by, things are just now falling into place.

Sanjixcon 07-23-2018 01:59 PM

I've been getting better at making home made pizza's from scratch.

Also my garden did really well this year! I lollipopped everything half way up and just grew some fat top colas.

Staiain 07-23-2018 02:12 PM

My mental and physical health, currently cleaning so I'm improving my apartment in some way?

Sidek 07-23-2018 03:20 PM

school and some skill in 4 key

URL 07-23-2018 04:09 PM

Geometry because my drawings suck. It's painful to see some problem you'd tried for two hours was obvious once you realized something evident from a good drawing.

Sky Kitten 07-23-2018 06:43 PM

Physical health, confidence, and being less anti-social.

gold stinger 07-24-2018 04:39 AM

attempting to improve my at-home life, but has been quite difficult as of late because it's not necessarily me creating the problem, and involves some very difficult choices that I don't necessarily want to go through with. You know, the usual dilemma sort of stuff.

DragonIIDX 08-12-2018 12:01 PM

My social skills... and maybe my cooking skills too, so my boyfriend doesn't have to cook all the time

Travis_Flesher 08-12-2018 12:05 PM

My dragonrip character, my Runescape character, my mental sharpness, my physical strength

Funnygurl555 08-12-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenner (Post 4635207)
I'm also in general more goal oriented. I think this is able to keep my depression suspended most of the time, because I have focus on keeping myself collected for the goals.

I'm kinda permanently in this mode. It helped me get out of the last episode I was in for the reason you mentioned :)

Right now, physical health because my appetite changed once I got on anti-depressants a year-and-a-half ago and I put on weight. I was pretty good at keeping my weight stable once I noticed, but I didn't have time to focus on being healthier because of school.

I don't have a license which is also Sad and I'm Trying, but zzzzzz I won't even have a car where I'm going anyway.

I should be working on my mental health since that's the main reason for my break from school, but I've been alright mental health-wise so I dunno what to do.

edit: o yea im tryna not be bad at fiffer

QueenAshy 08-12-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenner (Post 4635207)
What have you been improving in yourself, or have seen significant improvement with?

Body image.

My self loathing is currently becoming better, though I still dislike some things about myself; like how I'm flat chested (damn these boobs are taking a while to be visible and tangible to others), and the fact that I'm so damn thin.

I'm improving on my body image, but I'm still not where i'd like to be yet.

Also depression as well, but that's kinda old news, as I've been feeling better for weeks (at least anyone who follows my reddit would know).

Arch0wl 08-13-2018 11:10 PM

- legitimately believe I have value in some form.

- overcame pathological focus on sex and finally recognized it for what it was. no longer care about sex as an end to itself.

- reduced time wasted by masturbating; now treat masturbating like speedrunning.

- no longer care about body image as much. still care about fitness from a health POV.

- work on my self-concept; I identified for a long time as "an asshole" because I didn't have the vocabulary to express something like "I care more about minimizing falsehood than about being polite." I don't think I am actually an asshole, in fact I disagree with the whole moral framing of the word.

since I am adhd and also have non-24 hour sleep patterns (i.e. my body has tremendous amounts of energy and has always preferred to go to bed much later even as early as age 7), the following relate to that:

- realizing that if I can see calorie totals as a number that I just follow procedurally, I can see the time I go to bed this way as well, and use sleep aids to do this.

- valuing completion, or finishing a thing, as a virtue in and of itself.

- valuing normal adult responsibilities that I have been able to get out of in the past.

- appreciating the value of routine, even if it's silly.

- going out of my way to help other people and maintain relationships, mail out presents, be thoughtful, etc.

- appreciate simple pleasures in life, like diet pepsi and air conditioning.

not exhaustive, but good enough.

Arch0wl 08-13-2018 11:12 PM

oh, and most relevantly: going back to my roots for the things that make me happy by playing more rhythm games and attempting to be competitive in pop'n music.

aperson 08-13-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 4640935)
oh, and most relevantly: going back to my roots for the things that make me happy by playing more rhythm games and attempting to be competitive in pop'n music.

hell yeah 2018 year of the bemani renaissance

DaBackpack 08-14-2018 12:24 AM

nothing :(

MarcusHawkins 08-14-2018 12:33 AM

Oh yea, and notice how my tagline says "Constantly Improving!"

Although that originally pertained to what was once my constant improvement playing FFR, I have been thinking that this goes beyond.

I feel like that whatever happens in life, whether my FFR, music, studies, life choices, or just being a decent human being, I'm always improving in at least one thing. Even if I feel like I'm retrograding in something, I'm always improving in another. And I'm making sure to stay true to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4640953)
nothing :(

Not so sure about that

aperson 08-15-2018 12:08 AM

i'm gettin better at technical itg pretty quick thsi shit is really fun. it's pretty crazy how far the community has come since I last played.

samurai7694 08-15-2018 01:46 AM

I want to be more focused and disciplined with music education, practicing the violin more, and sticking to daily routines more strictly (balanced diet, streaming, exercise). Gaming is fun but I realize that it fuels my desire to be accepted by my peers as well as to compensate for past failures and it's not healthy.

I'm also working on completely letting go of my past and being content with where I am now even if I am slow with irl progress

mewtikz 08-15-2018 11:19 AM

Alright, here comes a big dump.

Want to improve:

- My drive to do anything "useful". I used to love programming but now I only do it if it's a task assigned to me.

- Doing the things that I should be doing for a better future but failing to do every time out of laziness. Often I get asked "why don't you do x?", I usually say "I know I should!" That's because I do know that it's a good idea, but whenever it comes down to it, I never feel like doing anything when I get home. For example, like that time when I could have had an internship. It was the proper course of action because it would have made me a very employable candidate for whatever job I end up with, but I didn't feel like writing a resume and so I convinced myself that I was under-qualified (I wasn't) and I wouldn't have gotten in (I would've). That's in the past, I'll do it better next time I have the opportunity ;)

Currently improving:

- My weight, I'm considered "underweight" on most charts I see on google.

- My sleep schedule. It's a work in progress but I'd like to try waking up on an actual schedule. Getting off my phone at least an hour before bed is supposed to help but I'm having trouble sticking to it. No, I don't need to see garbage on reddit before I sleep. Sleep is very important, but instant gratification wins, apparently.

Improved:

- My FFR skill, and I'm still getting better!

- My social life. Being friends with people and hanging out with them weekly is better than having friends on nodding terms. This aspect of me saw improvement as early as: the minute I stepped my foot on a college campus, but it's been continually growing and has had, by far, the biggest improvement in 2018!

- My face. I have had mild acne for a while and with a change of habits and a better diet, it's finally starting to clear up. I think the most noticeable impact was after a not eating over 150g of sugar like 4-5 days per week. It's not sustainable. >‿<

- My anxiety; during this summer I began to do some introspection (out of boredom), and the way I was analyzing my situation ended up causing a few panic attacks. I'm not exactly sure what's changed but I have a different perspective on things now, I guess I told myself that the anxiety is very temporary, as all emotions are, and I can approach each problem separately instead of focusing on them all at once. It seemed to come up out of the blue as I had never experienced anything quite like it before, and it disappeared just as fast (still, that month was hell). Maybe it'll pop back up again at some later time.

xXOpkillerXx 08-15-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 4640934)
- legitimately believe I have value in some form.

- overcame pathological focus on sex and finally recognized it for what it was. no longer care about sex as an end to itself.

- reduced time wasted by masturbating; now treat masturbating like speedrunning.

- no longer care about body image as much. still care about fitness from a health POV.

- work on my self-concept; I identified for a long time as "an asshole" because I didn't have the vocabulary to express something like "I care more about minimizing falsehood than about being polite." I don't think I am actually an asshole, in fact I disagree with the whole moral framing of the word.

since I am adhd and also have non-24 hour sleep patterns (i.e. my body has tremendous amounts of energy and has always preferred to go to bed much later even as early as age 7), the following relate to that:

- realizing that if I can see calorie totals as a number that I just follow procedurally, I can see the time I go to bed this way as well, and use sleep aids to do this.

- valuing completion, or finishing a thing, as a virtue in and of itself.

- valuing normal adult responsibilities that I have been able to get out of in the past.

- appreciating the value of routine, even if it's silly.

- going out of my way to help other people and maintain relationships, mail out presents, be thoughtful, etc.

- appreciate simple pleasures in life, like diet pepsi and air conditioning.

not exhaustive, but good enough.

Enjoyed reading this. Good job and good luck.

Arch0wl 08-15-2018 05:41 PM

thanks Op :)

DJAirWave 08-15-2018 07:33 PM

-I've improved on my mental state. I used to suffer from PTSD, BPD, and depression that was pretty debilitating for a while. At one point it's manifested as night terrors and severe panic attacks which would make me pass out more often than not. After counseling and CBT, I've been able to overcome a lot of past demons and current self compared to my past self are night and day at this point.

-I've overcome my addiction to benzos, which is tied to the above point.

-I'm not longer homeless either. A couple of years ago I tried starting life over in another state after burning my bridges with my family, again tied to the above points. Needless to say the attempt failed, and I was homeless for some time. Now I live in an apartment in LA while I go back to school.

-I'm currently working on my self discipline and priorities to better optimize my time to work towards my current goals. I write my daily schedules ahead of time, and I make sure to complete each task everyday. Productivity is definitely more rewarding to me more than anything else at this point.

-I've been reading a lot more than I used to, mainly philosophy such as the book Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I also watch a channel on YouTube called Impact Theory, and write down notes with each interview to apply to myself as I work on rebuilding myself and moving towards long term goals.

lumphoboextreme 08-16-2018 09:21 AM

Mostly just adulting, got a house, got a new car in cash(way overdue), have a promotion in another month or so at work. Haven’t dropped in here in a very long time so hi to anyone who remembers me from like a decade ago.

MinaciousGrace 08-16-2018 09:50 AM

aretha franklin is dead

Moria 08-16-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4641562)
aretha franklin is dead

haha same

Coolboyrulez0 08-18-2018 06:45 AM

Back to gym 4 times a week and cut down / completely remove social media and porn usage.

flipsta_lombax 08-18-2018 08:50 AM

This thread is important.

Truly this is a year of change for a lot of people. For myself I've focused a lot on my overall health:

-Cut ties with people who do not belong in my life
-Reconcile and re-establish connections with family
-Up my calisthenics game
-Eat more (I weigh 150 lbs. and want to get back to 160)
-Start hitting the gym finally to bulk
-Remind myself to appreciate the little things
-Work efficiently and go on vacation more (Going to California for the first time in 3 weeks!)
-Appreciate life with a better sense of self & personal value
-Find ways to conquer depression without needing therapy/medication
-Connecting more with people outside of the Internet (Haven't had Twitter for 8 months)
-Enjoy casual sex more
-Continue finding my purpose amidst an apparent existential crisis (I enjoy helping those appreciate the little things and motivate)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4641562)
aretha franklin is dead

Rip queen of soul ;-;

Gravity Kitten 08-18-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 (Post 4642902)
Back to gym 4 times a week and cut down / completely remove social media and porn usage.

same except i'm still whacking my shit every day

Luklear 08-19-2018 12:00 AM

My work ethic, tolerance of children, and income I suppose. I got my first job this summer.

TheThong 08-19-2018 12:20 AM

-this may come off "selfish" but I'm trying to prioritise my own time. I tend to say "yes" to everything that my calendar always has 1+ comments to do something. Whether it be catching up with friends/family/helping with parties/special days (I do a lot of baking, so people always ask me to do that), but then get mentally exhausted and drained that I forget to just have a day to do absolutely nothing

-trying to practice/learn new skills with instruments; cello, guitar, harp

-read more

-time management, especially since I've gone back to studying this year

-appreciating 'silence', and not needing to feel awkward in 'quiet' situations

Probably a million other things I can't think of right now.

Moria 08-21-2018 03:45 AM

Learning to think more scientifically.

Moria 09-17-2018 12:01 AM

Quitting smoking, cutting out processed sugar and swapping to almond or soy milk.

Edit: So.. myself, as usual..

DotKritic 09-17-2018 06:03 AM

"My "people skills" are "rusty."" -Castiel

WTFBrandon 11-9-2018 09:33 AM

learning how to twerk in a handstand

Travis_Flesher 11-9-2018 09:51 AM

Chess, MineSweeper, Sudoku, boggle, dragonrip, physical exercise with elastic band, silicon grips, and hiking. Social networking, politics