Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Benefits of spread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=95864)

bumchin 07-10-2008 07:04 PM

Benefits of spread

What are the benefits of switching from one-handed to spread? I'm really good one-handed but want to know if i'll be alot better spread.

Bynary Fission 07-10-2008 07:06 PM

Re: Benefits of spread

There are several benefits associated with switching to spread.

1. A better capability to combo/PA complicated patterns
2. Improved skill at all songs in a short time frame
3. Improved reading of patterns
4. Vastly improved speed

I don't play spread, so you're better of asking somebody who does. :razz: But what I have listed are the basics, but they comprise nearly all facets of spread playing. Most people go from FCing VDs/Challengings with one hand (usually takes a few months) to FC'ing VCs within a few weeks for spread.

However, do not feel pressured to switch. Stay with what fits you best, be that one handed or spread.

~Bynary Fission

EAGAMES 07-10-2008 07:10 PM

From a person who was decent at one handed to spread, I can safely say that you improve faster with spread than one handed. Switch.

cry4eternity 07-10-2008 07:11 PM

Pros:
-Better PA
-Better at jumpstream
-All around best way to play
-Takes less than 2 weeks to get used to it

Cons:
-Slower speed
-Certain trill patterns are nearly impossible
-Some runningmen, streams, and jump patterns are trickier with spread

I switched from a really weird index type play to spread around February of 2008. A few days later I got my first AAA. Now I have 253. Just give it a try, you will most likely love it.

EAGAMES 07-10-2008 07:20 PM

You forgot about jacks, cry4eternity.

Mookage 07-10-2008 07:29 PM

I switched from one-hand to spread a few months ago. I left FFR for a few months because school made me lose concentration and I started sucking.

After 2 months of not playing FFR one-hand just seemed like it was holding me back, so I switched. I had experimented with spread before but I just couldn't get it. When I decided to switch I really didn't have any trouble at all, it just came naturally.

The best things about spread are:
-improved speed
-quicker improvement
-more comfortable
-better PA

The worst things about spread are:
-generally hard to get used to
-runningmen kill
-"one-hand trills" are very difficult

To contrast; the best things about one-hand are:
-easy to get used to
-works very well with easier songs
-comfortable

The worst things about one-hand are:
-up/down trills are very difficult
-speed becomes an issue when you get better
-very difficult to do jumpstream (I had tons of problems with this)
-Carpal Tunnel

Ultimately it's up to you. I would recomend switching though because you get a lot better a lot faster.

Within a week of switching I went from barely FC'ing Beethoven Virus to FC'ing it with good PA (by my standards).

Hope that helps. :)

bumchin 07-10-2008 07:54 PM

Alright, thanks guys, I guess i'll switch to spread. Hopefully it doesn't take that long to get used to.:)

TheRapingDragon 07-10-2008 07:58 PM

Harder songs become easier to manage with two hands.
You become Better overall with two hands instead of one.
You will realise that you're able to go Faster than you ever could with one hand.
You exercise both hands and so become that much Stronger over time than using one hand.

Beethovens mask 07-10-2008 08:06 PM

I play spread, and apparently it's awesome. Switch.

(I do play one handed on songs difficulty 1-3)

Megmo 07-10-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon (Post 2326140)
You will realise that you're able to go Faster than you ever could with one hand.
You exercise both hands and so become that much Stronger over time than using one hand.

I see what you did there. =)

I once played one handed then switched to left index, right index/middle/ring. That was better, but still had its quirks so I switched to spread about a year or more ago. I do find runningmen patterns and one handed trills hard but spread is worth it. I usually have no problems doing jumpstream except on insane BPM's and my speed significantly increased. It took me about two weeks to get comfortable with it, maybe a little less. Try it out.

Shashakiro 07-10-2008 08:55 PM

Switch immediately. There is no reason ever to play one-handed and it has almost no advantages whatsoever over spread aside from maybe off-hand one-handed trills/runningmen.

Tophius 07-10-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon (Post 2326140)

TheRapingDragon has officially won the thread, kthxbai.

Anyways, spread is the way to go for pretty much every song. The only problems I have with spread is that I can't do one handed trills very well, or jacks either.

Xiaounlimited 07-10-2008 10:01 PM

Someone needs to make a damn sticky outlining "Yes, switch to spread."

danny53x 07-10-2008 11:53 PM

The things about spread is that each of the fingers you use are dedicated to a single arrow.

Remember, it's never too late to swtich!

EugeneKim 07-11-2008 12:01 AM

I switched from one hand to spread a few weeks ago, and I am already better than before.
However, I still find some patterns easier with one hand.
I think it is better to switch.