Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pulsen (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=121425)

bob bob 12-4-2011 03:12 AM

Pulsen

I was just browsing the interwebs this morning when I came across this game called Pulsen. If you don't know what it is (visit here http://pulsengame.com/) its basically a Stepmania rip-off with really easy charts, some changed graphics with some basic changes from the usual stepmania theme. Now, i wouldn't make this thread if i new it was free.....

EXCEPT ITS NOT(well sort of)
You can download the basic version for free, (but why, it has 4 songs rofl) but then you have to PAY for 30 more songs. (This is the current DLC) While it is only £3 here in the UK, its still a rip off as I could just go and download 10 sm packs which in total would have probably around 200-400 songs and I'd be getting these for free. Another thing it lacks over stepmania is a editor, which basically means to get anything out of this software, you would still have to use stepmania/DDReam, which defies the whole point of the product in the first place.

The only real innovation is couples charts but eh, I don't see who would play them.

If you want to see it, the Trailer is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=s50wr8yZpMQ

So what do you guys think?

Choofers 12-4-2011 03:17 AM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Rip Off Game

like I said in vc

this is sm5 with a sleek theme

Tyson ultima 12-4-2011 03:21 AM

7 dollars for stepmania 5? Seems like a good purchase.

In before Step it up gets jelly

justin_ator 12-4-2011 03:24 AM

Looks meh. Not really that impressed.

Commented on the video though.

Tyson ultima 12-4-2011 03:30 AM

I think I fuccen died when i saw what looked like PSX cables lol'

Also you hear Aurora at the end. This shit has ITG Rebirth in it too lol

who_cares973 12-4-2011 03:31 AM

the up hold looks like a penis

Emithith 12-4-2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3583255)
the up hold looks like a penis

I was wondering who was gonna say this.
TECHNO PENIS FOR ERRRYBADY

Choofers 12-4-2011 04:19 AM

@notyourgoat The benefit here is you gain, what we consider, the best charts ever made and no work required to get them.
Saturn2888 1 month ago

Oops I commented on this.

Ziergdsx18 12-4-2011 04:31 AM

lol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 3583254)
I think I fuccen died when i saw what looked like PSX cables lol'

Also you hear Aurora at the end. This shit has ITG Rebirth in it too lol

rofl also heard that, almost lost it gfkwrangrw

p.s liking those arcade tx-2000 panels

bob bob 12-4-2011 06:20 AM

best charts ever

LOL

dragon890x 12-4-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Much like an electronic whack-a-mole, in Pulsen you time each and every note by tapping a key or pressing a button.
The note skin is a major turn off.
Also, I don't want to be 'controlled' by having to purchase charts.

It seems like their project is money orientated more than anything else, and I don't see anything worth buying that I couldn't get for free (or that deserves money for that matter). Just a personal opinion though. I will acknowledge that they spent an amount of time coding, nothing more.

who_cares973 12-4-2011 07:03 AM

im going to charge 2(two) dollars for every one of my chart downloads

MarioNintendo 12-4-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3583285)
im going to charge 2(two) dollars for every one of my chart downloads

P($) = $, where $ is the price in dollars and P is the profit in dollar.

Step 1: Rise the price
Step 2: Profit!

Tyson ultima 12-4-2011 08:09 AM

WC you should totally make CD titles like theirs

NekoGon 12-4-2011 08:47 AM

LOL those cd titles

Reshiram 12-4-2011 09:17 AM

Awesome CDtitles

That's about it, the charts are worse than QED's and paying for a game "like a Stepmania" is more bullshit than Yaboy.

XxMidigamixX 12-4-2011 10:14 AM

Nothing beats Jewish DDR in terms of rip-off DDR games

who_cares973 12-4-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 3583293)
WC you should totally make CD titles like theirs

mine would look cooler than that thought probably not coloured lol

fido123 12-4-2011 10:48 AM

If I could get the executable for this game I could verify if it was in fact built off of StepMania source code, which in that case would make it HIGHLY illigal, and I would enjoy sending them an e-mail with proof of findings pretending I'm going to sue them or some shit.

EDIT: Download is free. I guess they can charge if they want to. Still retarded as **** but not as retarded as that jewish one.

http://www.ddrstation.com/jeddrdaga.html $50...that's ****ed. I hope whoever owns SM sues their ass.

Wolfman2000 12-4-2011 11:41 AM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Game

A few things need to be clarified about Pulsen it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123
If I could get the executable for this game I could verify if it was in fact built off of StepMania source code, which in that case would make it HIGHLY illigal, and I would enjoy sending them an e-mail with proof of findings pretending I'm going to sue them or some shit.

I know this quote was edited originally, but I will still clarify. StepMania 5's engine is used, and that is an open source engine. The licensing for the engine allows for people to make derivative, closed source variations. The licensing also does not deal with the individual songs and charts themselves. Those can be charged money by however much a company wants. There is no legality issue here.

Furthermore, remember that not everyone can make music or charts for free all of the time. If anything, supporting the music artists and chart artists by paying for the DLC also helps support StepMania.

If there are any complaints about some of the features, it may be more productive to bring them up to the people that worked on the game directly instead of just bashing the people behind the game.

In the interest of full disclaimers, it should be noted that I am not only a developer for StepMania 5, but I also programmed some unique items for Pulsen and wrote a number of the charts.

rayword45 12-4-2011 12:04 PM

Reminds me of Mungyodance with the hit-miss judge system.

Remember, since SM is open-source, you can package it in a CD/Download and charge it.

At least it's a superior fork over Step It Up/SM CDs on eBay.

fido123 12-4-2011 03:35 PM

I lookd up the MIT license which is what SM uses and yeah this is legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License
Copyright (C) <year> by <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

Honestly I never really expect people to allow people to sell stuff they've made with a license like that. I assumed pretty much everybody has licensing similar to most open source programs I see with a GPL license, where you can change and distrtribute it just not for money.

Still though why hasn't anybody sued the Jewish DDR though? They're using charts people on this site have made IIRC.

EDIT: Yeah, there was a lot of outrage here: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...=117619&page=1
Honestly why hasn't anybody sued these guys yet?

Tyson ultima 12-4-2011 04:07 PM

Well it kind of is a double edged sword because most songs for ITG rebirth people weren't liscenced to use either way. Only problem with Step it up was if the jewish authors were to say that those songs had to be removed.

fido123 12-4-2011 04:09 PM

If you bought an albulm, and make a stepchart for it, that's legal as far as I know. I don't know much about law but at the very least it's plain wrong to take somebody elses work (stepchart) and call it your own.

leonid 12-4-2011 04:44 PM

They are selling the songs and charts not the stepmania engine aren't they
Actually that's how it should be like. We are actually supposed to pay for all the licensed songs in our song folder otherwise it's illegal

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 05:37 PM

Hi everyone, glad to see people here so energetic about Pulsen and other rhythm games.

Upon reading this thread, there appears to be a bit of confusion about Pulsen. Some of that was already cleared up it seems, but if you have any more questions you'd like answered, I'd be more than happy to answer them for you!

Choofers 12-4-2011 05:50 PM

I don't understand why you would make Pulsen. Stepmania.com has the StepMix comp every year, and there are literally over 10000 files out there that people can download, of varying difficulty levels.

justin_ator 12-4-2011 06:02 PM

^^^

I just don't see the advantages of Pulsen

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:05 PM

The only advantage to Pulsen would be to cater to the new players so when they master all of these charts, they can come to SM or FFR.

fido123 12-4-2011 06:08 PM

I think the main thing about Pulsen is they're going to have a story mode and a bunch of additional stuff.

Wolfman2000 12-4-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583535)
I don't understand why you would make Pulsen. Stepmania.com has the StepMix comp every year, and there are literally over 10000 files out there that people can download, of varying difficulty levels.

First, StepMix has not been every year. The last StepMix took almost two years due to various issues.

Second, StepMix's quality is inconsistent. The main rules are that people get permission from an artist to use their music, make their own graphic or get someone's assistance on that, and make a minimum set of charts. As long as there are no violations on those, any chart can be accepted. As someone that has judged at least three of the StepMix competitions, I can assure you that not everyone knows how to make great pad charts. This past StepMix was...well, one of the hardest ones I ever had to judge.

As far as the other thousands of files out there, one important fact must be remembered. Not all of them are meant for public consumption or distribution. Many of them are technically illegal for downloading and using in public. Furthermore, the quality control, or lack thereof, are perhaps worse in an unorganized area. These files could come from anywhere, and you wouldn't know about its quality without either trying it yourself or getting opinions about it.

I have made a number of charts for Pulsen. Some of them were rejected due to either not being fun or not feeling like it was the right difficulty. Quality is something that is taken very seriously with the Pulsen chart artists. We don't want crap to come out. If it makes you feel better, the main team comprises of chart artists that have mostly worked on other known packs in the past. We are not made up of unknown people.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman2000 (Post 3583557)
First, StepMix has not been every year. The last StepMix took almost two years due to various issues.

rip

Quote:

Second, StepMix's quality is inconsistent. The main rules are that people get permission from an artist to use their music, make their own graphic or get someone's assistance on that, and make a minimum set of charts. As long as there are no violations on those, any chart can be accepted. As someone that has judged at least three of the StepMix competitions, I can assure you that not everyone knows how to make great pad charts. This past StepMix was...well, one of the hardest ones I ever had to judge.
Quality is totally subjective to a new player (and to some better players (hi dossar)). Granted, some of the files are really bad, but at least they're free.

Quote:

As far as the other thousands of files out there, one important fact must be remembered. Not all of them are meant for public consumption or distribution. Many of them are technically illegal for downloading and using in public. Furthermore, the quality control, or lack thereof, are perhaps worse in an unorganized area. These files could come from anywhere, and you wouldn't know about its quality without either trying it yourself or getting opinions about it.
Check out FFR Seasons Packs, those are very good packs and are slowly getting to the point where multiple difficulties are required (with very few exceptions).

Quote:

I have made a number of charts for Pulsen. Some of them were rejected due to either not being fun or not feeling like it was the right difficulty. Quality is something that is taken very seriously with the Pulsen chart artists. We don't want crap to come out. If it makes you feel better, the main team comprises of chart artists that have mostly worked on other known packs in the past. We are not made up of unknown people.
Who else has made charts? I haven't heard your username at all.

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583565)
Who else has made charts? I haven't heard your username at all.

http://pulsengame.com/?credits

Probably because using real names instead of online ones makes it harder to associate people with their works, but some notable packs are Foonmix, DWI Extreme, Dancing Wipeout, Albumix, Vocaloid Party, ATC Makoto, ITG Edits, and others.

I'd personally consider their work in Pulsen some of the best charts they've ever produced. Talking to them for years, it's great to see them produce something truly special.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

only 7 simfile artists?
where do I apply to be an intern

TC_Halogen 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

for those of you questioning the chart quality, realize the Pulsen is pad-play oriented for most of their charts. Granted, while a few charts could use some work, none of them are really bad.

This is making me want to go and work on my latest ITG doubles chart that uses something that the ITG community hates...CROSSOVERS!!!!!!!11one1~1

Wolfman2000 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3583575)
some notable packs are Foonmix, DWI Extreme, Dancing Wipeout, Albumix, Vocaloid Party, ATC Makoto, ITG Edits, and others.

I prefer to be associated with Pump Pro Edits, thanks. ;)

Well, at this point I don't care about real names vs stage names.

I'm Jason Felds.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3583580)
This is making me want to go and work on my latest ITG doubles chart that uses something that the ITG community hates...CROSSOVERS!!!!!!!11one1~1

GG_Halogen

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583535)

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 3583539)
^^^

I just don't see the advantages of Pulsen

The reason is because people want different things. While StepMania exists, the older preferred platform was Dance With Intensity. A lot of people liked In The Groove and Dance Dance Revolution and both of them co-existed alongside StepMania and Dance With Intensity.

Pulsen is designed to be an all-in-one solution that just works. StepMania isn't necessarily the easiest thing to setup, use, or find good content for. There's quite a few differences that come from commercial products and a level of quality that is required to uphold especially when your competition is free.

For instance, if you want a new feature in Pulsen, chances are you'll see in there fairly quickly so long as you inform one of us. Found a bug? We'll probably put out a fix for it within the next few days. When you pay us for something, we care about how happy you are with the final product.

In fact, I haven’t heard a customer complain about Pulsen’s Ultra I DLC pack so it’s only reasonable to assume people just need to play it to really figure out what it’s all about.

How about this. If you can put every chart designer credited with a pack they’re well-known for first, I’ll give you a free copy of Pulsen: Ultra I.

• Alex Kim
• Jason Felds
• Kévin Dendayne
• Nick Navaroli
• Sta Kousin
• Steve Nera
• Terrence Chan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman2000 (Post 3583581)
I prefer to be associated with Pump Pro Edits, thanks. ;)

... Thanks Jason, haha. That's one down, you guys can have fun with the rest.

TC_Halogen 12-4-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583583)
GG_Halogen

now I have to rip your ****ing balls off in public.

seriously though, I'm all for open source games that try to go the extra mile. Mungyodance was all the hype when it came out, and I wouldn't mind seeing this go anywhere.

speaking of which, Renard owes me some sort of apology for not putting my chart for Palindrome in the game being that it won 3rd in the stepcharting contest. meh.

Is Pulsen looking for anymore simfile artists? I've always been interested in charting for an actual project and I'm proficient in ITG/PIU singles and doubles charting, haha.

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3583548)
I think the main thing about Pulsen is they're going to have a story mode and a bunch of additional stuff.

Ah yes, you're correct. A lot of stuff is in the works so we don't have much to show at this point, but the game only came out in October and there's plenty of new stuff floating around in our test builds.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

How about this, if you can put every chart designer credited with a pack they’re well-known for first, I’ll give you a free copy of Pulsen: Ultra I to try out.

• Alex Kim
• Jason Felds
• Kévin Dendayne
• Nick Navaroli
• Sta Kousin
• Steve Nera
• Terrence Chan
That's why I asked for usernames and not real names lol. Most people know my files as Torrent (or hypercore but those files are generally joke files or really dumpy files).

But what Halogen asked, are you guys looking for simfile artists rofl

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3583585)
Is Pulsen looking for anymore simfile artists? I've always been interested in charting for an actual project and I'm proficient in ITG/PIU singles and doubles charting, haha.

I'm always looking for talented people, but that doesn't mean everyone gets in either :(. I wouldn't mind auditioning if you're up for it. I'll try to give as much feedback as you're willing to take.

Go ahead and PM my your e-mail address or IM name (your preference), and we can talk about it further that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583590)
That's why I asked for usernames and not real names lol. Most people know my files as Torrent (or hypercore but those files are generally joke files or really dumpy files).

After someone puts them together then you'll know. I wanna give some people a chance to try first :).

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:55 PM

Derp. Well these are my guesses.
• Alex Kim - ITG Edits
• Jason Felds - Pump Pro Edits
• Kévin Dendayne - Dancing WipeOut
• Nick Navaroli - ITG Edits
• Sta Kousin - Foonmix
• Steve Nera - Albumix
• Terrence Chan - Vocaloid Mix

Which one is TaroNuke lol

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 07:00 PM

We actually started production of Pulsen over a year ago so I haven't added TaroNuke because by the time he started, both Pulsen and Pulsen: Ultra I were completed. He's gonna be credited when the next pack releases. That's another out of the water :p.

Since I don't want to give it away for others, I can't say which you got wrong, but I'll write out how many you got right including Jason: 3.

TC_Halogen 12-4-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3583591)
I'm always looking for talented people, but that doesn't mean everyone gets in either :(. I wouldn't mind auditioning if you're up for it. I'll try to give as much feedback as you're willing to take.

Go ahead and PM my your e-mail address or IM name (your preference), and we can talk about it further that way.

I posted my AIM on your FFR profile - refresh the page and you should see a little envelope to the right of your name, on the top right of the page.

who_cares973 12-4-2011 07:14 PM

Interested in stepping for a project like this again. I'll also be contacting you

MarioNintendo 12-4-2011 07:15 PM

Sooooo hey, happy ending for everyone, right? Pulsen is now supported by the FFR community!

bob bob 12-5-2011 04:54 AM

successmanias

NeoMasterPie 12-5-2011 06:14 AM

i tried pulsen once

too difficult for me to get used to the oddly-shaped noteskin/speedmods i'm not used to

(oh yeah i'm fairly sure alex kim is akstylish so... gg vocaloid party)

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie (Post 3583911)
i tried pulsen once

too difficult for me to get used to the oddly-shaped noteskin/speedmods i'm not used to

(oh yeah i'm fairly sure alex kim is akstylish so... gg vocaloid party)

Number correct: 1. That's another freebie, haha.

This is a general question for everyone here. What speed mods would you like to see added to Pulsen?

At release time I noticed some people complaining because 4.25x was the highest available. I was working on a solution to fix for this, but never ended up finishing it because of the other things we've been working on. On the other hand, I just thought up a quick-fix which should make it into Pulsen r0004 so long as I get the right values from everyone.

dragon890x 12-5-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3583321)

> Open Source
> ITG
> Won't work.

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 10:13 AM

The speed mod quick-fix is in r0004. From here, I'll need to know what speed mod values you guys are looking for.

I'll also need to know generally what the top speed most people can read at is or it may become unreadable for some of you.

who_cares973 12-5-2011 10:27 AM

i generally dont ever use a speedmod higher than 4.5 so having a limit of 4.25 would actually be fine for me

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3583981)
i generally dont ever use a speedmod higher than 4.5 so having a limit of 4.25 would actually be fine for me

Hmm, good point. I'd also need to know the lowest speed mod you guys use. The way I'm implementing this, the standard speed mod configuration won't change, but you can modify it. I wanna make sure everyone's accounted for with the included speed mods.

who_cares973 12-5-2011 10:45 AM

lowest speed mod should be the standard 1.0 for everyone.

i love you 12-5-2011 10:47 AM

This is a very interesting concept you guys have going on I think. I would love to make step charts for you guys but unfortunately, I can only step keyboard charts and I am not sure if you guys are allowing keyboard charts in the game or not.

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love you (Post 3583985)
This is a very interesting concept you guys have going on I think. I would love to make step charts for you guys but unfortunately, I can only step keyboard charts and I am not sure if you guys are allowing keyboard charts in the game or not.

Right now our focus isn't on the keyboard side of things, but that has been something I've thought about before. I want to have a bit of a foundation first before moving into that territory as it's going to require a lot of changes to the game we haven't made yet. When that time comes, I'll definitely be on the lookout for keyboard charters.

Kibblre 12-5-2011 10:51 AM

How long until people rechart Pulsen songs for SM and distribute them for free?

I just feel like SM is always going to lead the pack, and Pulsen is just going to slowly fade away.

i love you 12-5-2011 10:54 AM

@Saturn2888: Fair enough. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to offer in the future. The game is looking pretty cool so far and I really loved that Main Menu music! (:

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love you (Post 3583991)
@Saturn2888: Fair enough. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to offer in the future. The game is looking pretty cool so far and I really loved that Main Menu music! (:

Thanks! The original concept was done by Kévin Dendayne. Depending on which one you're hearing--don't know if you noticed there are actually 3 versions--you might be hearing one of the two he provided or the one Nick Hemler did.

We'll have a couple more versions included with the next DLC pack.

ddr_f4n 12-5-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibblre (Post 3583988)
How long until people rechart Pulsen songs for SM and distribute them for free?

I just feel like SM is always going to lead the pack, and Pulsen is just going to slowly fade away.

It's p.much what's gonna happen, not gonna lie.

Granted, I remember Akstylish does charts for this too, but he's friends with ddrXero (mr. hey-lets-sell-simfiles plan guy), and the fact that they're trying to sell the files is kinda not worth it, since it's p.much SM5 but with a stylish skin (new theme and noteskin...though the noteskin is pretty barbaric).

Knowing Akstylish's files from Vocaloid Party Pack...I'm not looking forward to it if it's still the same quality in all honesty. And the trailer doesn't help. File looks...off.

rushyrulz 12-5-2011 11:38 AM

So it's a glorified version of stepmania with pad charts only that you have to pay to play and it's for PC? No thanks. Get a machine and maybe I'll try it.

who_cares973 12-5-2011 11:43 AM

i might try it out because im curious

rushyrulz 12-5-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584012)
Pulsen is free.

So is runescape, but that's not fun until you pay. The lack of content on the F2P side is stunning, which I fear to be the same for Pulsen. What does Pulsen (the free section) have that Stepmania doesn't?

ddr_f4n 12-5-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584012)
Since Pulsen is free, you can go ahead and give it a shot yourself. If you get to play the Secret Bonus Nyan Cat song, I think you'll be impressed with what Alex is capable of.

Any syncing issues with the pre-trailer video would most-likely be the fault YouTube and Flash.

I saw a video of it, it's a decent use of mods, but nothing TOO spectacular compared to what I've seen from others (WinDEU, CondorTalon whom I go to school with, heck even Oni). Chart by itself is decent though, but there are some minor double stepping errors and jump/up-down step ambiguity that it suffers a bit.

Also, mods with that noteskin makes it unnecessarily hard.

Just my 2 cents

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 3584016)
So is runescape, but that's not fun until you pay, but the lack of content on the F2P side is stunning. What does Pulsen (the free section) have that Stepmania doesn't?

Depends on what you're looking for. Pulsen changed a lot of things and has many technical features StepMania does not which you'd really appreciate if you're into that kinda stuff.

As Jason might chime in on this, Pulsen drove the development of some features people might take for granted in StepMania 5. I'll let him elaborate on those features though.

It's not so much what Pulsen doesn't offer as much as what it already has and what it will in the future.

YoshL 12-5-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584032)
A bit of a snarky comment here, but StepMania's not very good until you pay for it.

how is this true at all.

Kibblre 12-5-2011 12:49 PM

From what I understand, Pulsen is aimed towards the more casual pad players and the more hardcore pad players will not find a challenge here. Then, this leads me to believe that people who are serious about SM and games like it, including Pulsen, will just stick to SM and download much harder files. As for the more casual players, I think the easiest "all-in-one" option (as I believe I've read you state somewhere that is what Pulsen is aimed to be, Saturn) would be to just get a home version of DDR/ITG, or just dowonload DDR/ITG packs for SM.

rushyrulz 12-5-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOSHl (Post 3584040)
how is this true at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584043)
In the Groove.

How is that at all a legitimate answer to that question?

TC_Halogen 12-5-2011 12:56 PM

Because ITG and Pump it Up: Pro are both heavily based off of StepMania, and they get large crowds/tournaments and events.

Pulsen might not be the most ideal situation for the hardcore player, but it can definitely get a crowd going because it looks like a whole new game. Pulsen is doing what Mungyodance did a few years ago, and you, like other people had the same question: why am I going to play this instead of StepMania? While Mungyodance was actually free, it's still the same concept.

ddr_f4n 12-5-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3584046)
Because ITG and Pump it Up: Pro are both heavily based off of StepMania, and they get large crowds/tournaments and events.

Pulsen might not be the most ideal situation for the hardcore player, but it can definitely get a crowd going because it looks like a whole new game. Pulsen is doing what Mungyodance did a few years ago, and you, like other people had the same question: why am I going to play this instead of StepMania? While Mungyodance was actually free, it's still the same concept.

Big difference being that it's free, but yet I never even played Mungyodance. Closest I did was play the packs/songs in hacked ITG cabs.

But ITG/Pump and Mungyodance brought new things and ideas to the table that hasn't been presented before, which made them all unique in itself, exception being Pro maybe, but I would say that is because it already carries the legacy of being worked on by most that worked on ITG already.

Kibblre 12-5-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584049)
Hmm, I wouldn't quite say that. Pulsen's definitely a lot harder and more challenging at lower difficulties than other similar games. This doesn't mean it's going to be impossible, just less simplistic and less repetitive.

Difficulty-wise, only 6 of the 30 songs in Pulsen: Ultra I would be referred to as easier songs on the high-end of the spectrum.

That Nyan Cat bonus chart itself is quite the challenge. As of right now Steel Monster's Adamantium chart from Ultra I would take the position of hardest chart in the game; although, there's already a harder one in a later pack.

I'm curious what you'd refer to as hardcore players though. Maybe our definitions don't match up and that's where the confusion is coming from.

Hardcore players as in that Nyan Cat chart would be an easy SDP on pad. If that's one of the more challenging files on Pulsen, I would dare to say that Charlene on ITG is harder than that file, and the pad players I speak of have no problem with it. Similarly, I think there are even harder files on ITG 2.

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3584052)
But ITG/Pump and Mungyodance brought new things and ideas to the table that hasn't been presented before, which made them all unique in itself, exception being Pro maybe, but I would say that is because it already carries the legacy of being worked on by most that worked on ITG already.

Well if you're talking about new things in charts, then Pulsen definitely brings a lot to the table:
- Lifts
- Fakes
- Warps
- Attacks
- Scroll Segments
- Speed Segments

And there's more which others could better elaborate on.

If you're talking about the technical side of things, just opening the game and maximizing it should be enough to reveal those differences.

hi19hi19 12-5-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3584013)
i might try it out because im curious

This.

Except that I'm almost certainly not going to pay for it, why pay for something I can make myself in a few hours -the way I enjoy it most- thanks to Stepmania being free?

Not everyone can make 4-key charts as fast as I do and that's cool, I guess if you see a market with new pad players, then more power to you to capitalize on it.
Either way new rhythm game \o/

p.s. not gonna lie, the chart on the left looked pretty bad in that trailer wow. like, early-DDR-official-chart-from-1999 quality (or lackthereof)

Wolfman2000 12-5-2011 01:51 PM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Game

First, I will ask if someone can please remove "Rip off" from the topic name here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888
As Jason might chime in on this, Pulsen drove the development of some features people might take for granted in StepMania 5. I'll let him elaborate on those features though.

It went both ways here. A number of metrics and lua features that were requested for Pulsen got placed in mainline SM5. As far as what Pulsen got back:

Quote:

Well if you're talking about new things in charts, then Pulsen definitely brings a lot to the table:
- Lifts
- Fakes
- Warps
- Attacks
- Scroll Segments
- Speed Segments

And there's more which others could better elaborate on.

I thank you for letting me reveal this feature. Split Timing. Steel Monster is one of those songs that takes great advantage of it. Speaking of...

Quote:

That Nyan Cat bonus chart itself is quite the challenge. As of right now Steel Monster's Adamantium chart from Ultra I would take the position of hardest chart in the game; although, there's already a harder one in a later pack.

Ah yes, the one chart that kicks your butt regularly. :D What do the rest of you guys think of that chart, or the other charts in the game anyway?

But now to address one other quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n

Technically, Pump Pro brought in the original form of checkpoints that mainline StepMania had. It went through another revision before settling on the #TICKCOUNTS tag we have now. Of course, if the Pump Pro behavior for checkpoints is requested, it's only a metric change away (in Mainline, not in Pulsen).

JenovaSephiroth 12-5-2011 02:16 PM

I really don't know how I feel about this, haha.

On one hand, lol paid stepmanias, on the other hand, wait I make pad files where do I sign

NeoMasterPie 12-5-2011 02:24 PM

i play c975 distant on stepmania so it's really hard for me to say what speedmod(s) i would want in pulsen. that's kinda way out there lol

00Razor00 12-5-2011 02:27 PM

ITT: Saturn and Wolfman are Pulsen salesmen.

NeoMasterPie 12-5-2011 02:31 PM

oh and i don't really play pad so i guess my speedmod input doesn't matter xd

Kibblre 12-5-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00Razor00 (Post 3584081)
ITT: Saturn and Wolfman are Pulsen salesmen.

We already knew that.