Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   why are chokers so hot? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150960)

mellonxcollie 05-24-2019 10:02 AM

Re: why are chokers so hot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4675403)
For the record, as a OP, I do not agree with the move from critical thinking to chit chat.

I agree with this post

xXOpkillerXx 05-24-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 4675403)
For the record, as a OP, I do not agree with the move from critical thinking to chit chat.

I support this wholeheartedly and request that the move is undone. This thread has the most intricate topic that this website has seen since 1983

Svaz 05-24-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubisque (Post 4675393)

Way too wide tbh

Coolboyrulez0 05-24-2019 10:23 AM

choker or choke her btw

DaBackpack 05-24-2019 10:52 AM

choker appreciation thread

Svaz 05-24-2019 11:02 AM

Look at this choker very good

DaBackpack 05-24-2019 11:08 AM

very good

samurai7694 05-24-2019 11:09 AM

oh yes, Yotsuyu <3 (obligatory Yoshi-P "step on me, prease")

YoshL 05-24-2019 11:59 AM

i thought this was a queenashy thread

Chubisque 05-24-2019 12:00 PM

Svaz 05-24-2019 12:04 PM

Good choker for when you’re trying to win a collision case at the dmv

the sun fan 05-24-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svaz (Post 4675419)
Good choker for when you’re trying to win a collision case at the dmv

P R A C T I C A L U S E S

melonpapes 05-24-2019 12:37 PM

because choke me daddy owoo

rayword45 05-24-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquellex (Post 4675388)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4675382)
I thought this was a queenashy thread

I miss her

Same

devonin 05-24-2019 02:42 PM

Because our society has a long-standing tradition of taking fashions that originated with trans women, having them be co-opted by cis women, and then cis men feel like they can acknowledge that it's attractive now that they can say it while still maintaining their transphobia.

flashflash account 05-24-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4675426)
Because our society has a long-standing tradition of taking fashions that originated with trans women, having them be co-opted by cis women, and then cis men feel like they can acknowledge that it's attractive now that they can say it while still maintaining their transphobia.

Thinking this was a queenashy thread wasn't too far off then

DaBackpack 05-24-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

I think there is some truth to this but chokers have been a fashion accessory used by cisgender women for a long time. I can't speak as to the recent cultural perceptions of chokers but I think there is more nuance and history beyond that of modern appropriation.

devonin 05-24-2019 02:55 PM

I'm sure. Just like I'm sure there are people today who pop the collar of their shirt or coat solely to keep the rain or wind off their neck.

I also have a cousin who has "YOLO" tattooed onto his right bicep because "The first time he ever heard the phrase, and understood it to mean 'you only live once' he was inspired because that is how he has always lived his life, and he claims to have literally never had any idea at all of the general meme use of the phrase"

DaBackpack 05-24-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Also, I think this stated trend is Eurocentric, whereas Asian countries (especially Japan) have their own histories with neckwear ---- even if some of them borrow from the West via cultural diffusion.

EDIT: Actually, North Africa is a good example too.

DaBackpack 05-24-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4675429)
I'm sure. Just like I'm sure there are people today who pop the collar of their shirt or coat solely to keep the rain or wind off their neck.

I also have a cousin who has "YOLO" tattooed onto his right bicep because "The first time he ever heard the phrase, and understood it to mean 'you only live once' he was inspired because that is how he has always lived his life, and he claims to have literally never had any idea at all of the general meme use of the phrase"

I just think it's hard to justify trans appropriation as a sole (or even leading) reason for the prominence of chokers.

Not that it isn't a thing, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it --- I would be interested in an anthropological explanation, for example

EDIT: Googling "choker anthropology" gives me the fucking store, lol

DOUBLE EDIT: https://www.onetribeapparel.com/blog...eaning-chokers labels a few symbolic values of chokers (ignoring the predictable corporate trans-exclusionism)