Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I got my own computer. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=12321)

Laharl 06-28-2004 02:15 PM

I got my own computer.

2.09 GHz AMD Athlon processor, 516 MB of RAM, an ATI Radeon 9800se Sapphire w/ 128 vid RAM, one of the best cooling systems money can buy (my CPU temperature is about 38 degrees Celcius, which is pretty cold for a CPU), 6 USB ports, and (when it arrives, anyway) a 17" flatscreen (SCREEN, not the whole thing, just the screen) monitor. Oh, and a very good wireless PCI card, to let me get on the internet.

AND IT'S ALL MINE. IN MY ROOM.

muhahahhahahahahaehhahfasdaghj rilkelhk atvvr

Sinjin 06-28-2004 02:26 PM

You have shaken all remnants of uncool-hood. Welcome to the fold, Laharl.

Reach 06-28-2004 02:37 PM

Yea, its nice isn't it? I bought my own a few years back.

Mind you its not nearly as fast as yours :? Everything else is good and upgraded...but I need something faster soon.

LEGO 06-28-2004 02:43 PM

IF you built it yourself that's cool...

try to uprade to 1024 RAM soon, i've got 512 and i want more

your CPU pwns mine thogh, i only have a 2500+ AMD

happy though, i built my asskicking machine for under 300 bucks and i like it.

Congrats man and welcome to the fast-lane.

banditcom 06-28-2004 02:43 PM

I bought mine just over 3 years ago with my graduation money. :D

Laharl 06-28-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEGO
IF you built it yourself that's cool...

try to uprade to 1024 RAM soon, i've got 512 and i want more

your CPU pwns mine thogh, i only have a 2500+ AMD

happy though, i built my asskicking machine for under 300 bucks and i like it.

Congrats man and welcome to the fast-lane.

I ordered all the parts, and a friend of mine built it for me. He's a technical guru, so it was a good thing.

There is no point in getting more than 516 RAM, at least on a Windows machine. It won't make you go any faster. We've tested this out before (my friend that built this did) and unless you're running Linux or FreeBSD, it's not going to do anything for you.

@banditcom: No way! That's exactly what I did with this one. It was purchased with my graduation money.

QreepyBORIS 06-28-2004 03:41 PM

My brother and his friend built mine for 800 (including case). Not bad. It's getting outdated though (1.333 AMD athlon, 256 SD [I think SD...], GeForce3 Ti200 [not as good as a regular GeForce 3 -- but cheaper], some sound card that is okay, and some other stuff--not alot of ports)

I got another one for basically free. Its like 3.0, 1024 (mmmm, 3d rendering capabilities), and I dont know any of the other specs, but its pretty good.

I can't wait to transfer stuff....gurgle.

Good stuff Laharl. Welcome to the valley of the living dead computer abusers.

dmleet 06-28-2004 05:00 PM

When I buy a desktop or a notebook, I don't buy Pentium. Athlon is the best. </biased>

The specs are pretty good for your new comp Laharl. But if its purpose is to play games, especially online, you need yo upgrade your processor speed and a little bit more memory if you use Windows XP.

evilbutterfly 06-28-2004 06:01 PM

I own you all. Athlon 64, biatches

sphoenix9818r 06-28-2004 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilbutterfly

Same here.
My Specs:
Athlon 64 FX-51, 1024mb RAM, GeForce FX 5950 Ultra.
I win :mrgreen:

dmleet 06-28-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

Is there anything better than my custom 4.0GHz AthlonXP?

Moogy 06-28-2004 08:42 PM

Too bad anything over 2.5 ghz doesn't matter and Athlon 64 does squat at the moment.

dmleet 06-28-2004 09:03 PM

Yes, for now. I'm waiting for Half-Life 2 that looked like it will need a good chunk of memory and processor speed, though I'm not sure of its minimum and recommended performance.

evilbutterfly 06-28-2004 09:50 PM

Half-Life 2 runs fine on mine, and the HL2 that is available now probably isn't optimized or anything, so the released HL2 won't be too much to run. I can't wait till that comes out *drools* but this is for another topic...

dmleet 06-28-2004 09:55 PM

I've tried to download the one from suprnova.org, but it's not official. I want to install it properly.

Xaimus 06-29-2004 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laharl
There is no point in getting more than 512 RAM, at least on a Windows machine. It won't make you go any faster. We've tested this out before (my friend that built this did) and unless you're running Linux or FreeBSD, it's not going to do anything for you.

It'll keep you insulated from the pagefile/swap partition. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmleet
Quote:

Is there anything better than my custom 4.0GHz AthlonXP?

QUAD OPTERON > YOU
(note: I wish I had one)

LEGO 06-29-2004 12:53 PM

Yah laharl, good stuff.

The only reason I would need so much ram is because I constantly run many many apps and my comps on for usually over a month.

I built my own comp and got help w/ drivers and shit.

neodarkmagicianking 06-29-2004 03:22 PM

My computer is probably the worst in history. 2gig hd. 200mb Ram. Pentium CELERON!!??

don't ask.don't worry. I never use it.

DJ_Analog 06-30-2004 11:19 AM

yes Celeron is teh Satan my friend has one and it is slow beyond beleif, my pentium 2 is faster than it (All I run is pentium). I have a 2.4 GHz pentium 4 on the other hand

Laharl 06-30-2004 02:44 PM

Celerons are simply Pentiums that didn't work right, repacked under a different label, and sold for cheap.

I've also learned that the SE line of ATI cards are basically the same type of thing. I can't run Deus Ex 2 after all (mostly more due to their inferior optomization coding at Eidos more than the lack of video card power I've got). An SE Radeon card is a Pro of the same model that doesn't work right, so 4 of the 8 pixel chanels (or something like that) are shut down. There is a way to unlock the other channels/port/whatevermabobits they are called, but the problem is, 9 times out of 10, one of the 4 that are off are broken, so unlocking it will cause graphical glitches in your 3d rendering (as was the case with my own card.)

Still, I can't complain. I can run Halo PC well on it (considering that the game also has notoriously bad optomization, and it runs just slightly less smooth as an x-box with full detail on 800x600 res), and the card was only $136, whereas a 9800PRO would have cost me $223.

I purchased the whole thing from Newegg.com, a site I highly recommend for computer builders out there.