Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Petition to make the default scroll speed 2. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151316)

FirstMaple8 09-29-2019 10:32 PM

Petition to make the default scroll speed 2.

I feel like this could help new players get into the game easier because changing your scroll speed isnt an obvious thing to do when you're new.

flashflash account 09-29-2019 10:34 PM

Re: Petition to make the default scroll speed 2.

develop a tutorial that lets you adjust the scroll speed till you're comfortable

FirstMaple8 09-29-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4699640)
develop a tutorial that lets you adjust the scroll speed till you're comfortable

that could be a good idea :o

TheSaxRunner05 09-29-2019 10:46 PM

x2 would be too much for new players imo

awein999 09-29-2019 11:03 PM

i didn't even know 1.5 was default instead of 1.0 lol. that's def. fast enough

Andrew WCY 09-29-2019 11:36 PM

I believe there are a few points to be addressed here:

1. First impression of the game

Personally I don't think new players would want to be overwhelmed by a scroll speed too high for them. A higher scroll speed like 2.0 might give them the feeling that the game is too hard for them. We could make it less likely for them to be deterred from playing by using a lower scroll speed like 1.5.

2. Tutorials

I like the idea of a tutorial that allows players to set their scroll speed to their liking when they play the game for the first time. To extend this idea further, a tutorial introducing the gameplay rules and settings could be implemented.

FirstMaple8 09-30-2019 01:09 AM

lol, you guys have officially changed my opinion. gg

storn42 09-30-2019 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew WCY (Post 4699646)
2. Tutorials

I like the idea of a tutorial that allows players to set their scroll speed to their liking when they play the game for the first time. To extend this idea further, a tutorial introducing the gameplay rules and settings could be implemented.

you know... having a tutorial teaching you how to set your scroll speed is like the most useful thing ever. the amount of games i've had trouble fiddling around with trying to change it cus i cant read japanese...
Honestly, a "new users" video covering a bunch of the basics of play that pops up when you start the game for the first time could be cool. it would probably be much easier than programming in a tutorial but who knows.

EppuJoloZ 09-30-2019 03:18 AM

From one point of view it would be useful, but from the other point it's not.
Some new players could be like "omg dis 2 fast imma quit" and some might be "ok i like this because it aint that slow"

The tutorial is actually a very good idea.

And I actually voted for the default scroll speed to be set to 2x, because when I first started playing, I was thinking that the scroll was too slow. :D

Charu 09-30-2019 07:36 AM

2x is WAY too fast for new players. 1x is perfect for starting off if someone has never played a rhythm game before.

Scroll speed shouldn't be considered for them unless they get to a point they can't read a chart anymore. Besides, most players would probably look around the options to see what they can change anyway if they like the game. So if 1x is actually too slow for someone, I'm going to bet that same player will instantly look in the options menu if they want to give the game a chance.

emulord 09-30-2019 09:01 AM

1x was fine for me when I was new. When scroll speeds were added I went to 1.25 for a month or two, then stayed at 1.5 for a LONG time. 1x or 1.5x are fine for defaults, 2 would be too fast