Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   FFR Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115681)

TC_Halogen 12-10-2010 05:07 PM

Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnkownMan (Post 3365436)
You should fix "Dizzy" mode. All it is is switching the arrows themselves to their opposites, yet you still press left/right/up/down. Either:
1. Make it so the arrows themselves change to different spots.
2. Use different arrows, instead of just mirrored notes of that note.

AM I MAKING THIS CLEAR? (too tired to try and correct myself)

I posted this a bit earlier - Dizzy and Hidden work perfectly fine on the av-miss engine, and Dizzy actually works on Velocity's engine. Hidden could be pretty easily fixed by taking the code from the early av-miss engine and applying it to his current one (since all it does is fade the overall color and doesn't nothing to the physical arrows themselves).

TC_Halogen 12-11-2010 10:21 AM

Double post for new suggestion that would actually be a bit challenging to code/sort:

This part doesn't apply to you, but rather the XML that controls the song order. First off - very few people use the genre listings anymore, which gives you the opportunity to change how things work without too much of a notice. Alphabetize the songs within genres, rather than difficulties (this should make the pages a bit more navigable after some time).

My challenge to you: make songs that have multiple charts all be linked within the same name.

For example - let's take a few songs just to demonstrate:

* -> signifies a mouse click on the song title.

Blooddrunk -> Light/Heavy [two buttons that expand after the first click] -> level stats (name/difficulty/artist, etc.) -> play. (in this case, there would be two separate squares to click on, one would load the .swf for the light chart, the other would load the heavy chart)
Bloodmeat -> stats -> play
Brooks Was Here -> play
Reality -> play

It would clean up the menus a bit, and would encourage multiple charts for songs since they wouldn't be repeated within the genre. Extra brownie points if you can condense it the same way in the song list (if this is even possible).

(just four songs I thought of)

Izzy 12-11-2010 10:43 AM

There is something I would like to be fixed. When you click on a genre from the selection wheel it will take you to the pages for that genre obviously. But you can still spin the selection wheel. When you try clicking on a genre that isn't the one you were on it causes problems.

Either lock the selection wheel when inside of a genre or have it correctly go to the genre you selected instead of messing up.

This has been an issue since day 1.

Plan_Bsk81127 12-11-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3366212)
Double post for new suggestion that would actually be a bit challenging to code/sort:

This part doesn't apply to you, but rather the XML that controls the song order. First off - very few people use the genre listings anymore, which gives you the opportunity to change how things work without too much of a notice. Alphabetize the songs within genres, rather than difficulties (this should make the pages a bit more navigable after some time).

My challenge to you: make songs that have multiple charts all be linked within the same name.

For example - let's take a few songs just to demonstrate:

* -> signifies a mouse click on the song title.

Blooddrunk -> Light/Heavy [two buttons that expand after the first click] -> level stats (name/difficulty/artist, etc.) -> play. (in this case, there would be two separate squares to click on, one would load the .swf for the light chart, the other would load the heavy chart)
Bloodmeat -> stats -> play
Brooks Was Here -> play
Reality -> play

It would clean up the menus a bit, and would encourage multiple charts for songs since they wouldn't be repeated within the genre. Extra brownie points if you can condense it the same way in the song list (if this is even possible).

(just four songs I thought of)

So basically something like the setup TS is using right?

Patashu 12-11-2010 01:37 PM

imo the most obvious functions of the game for finding songs should find easiest charts first, because the least informed are also the worst at playing ffr (or perhaps the other way around).

anything that's more useful for people who have already been playing for ages should be secondary

igotrhythm 12-11-2010 03:56 PM

Regarding the actual score being kept track of in game, I went and knocked out some pseudocode regarding how this might be accomplished. The key hurdle here, that of keeping track of max combo, is resolved by the fact that multiplayer already is able to keep a running max combo count during the song, which means that the game engine can do it. (Boo out on purpose during an MP game and watch it yourself.)

The other part is how much each "step" is worth:
Perfect - 550
Good - 275
Average - 55
Miss - -310
Boo - -20

With this in mind, the only thing left to do is program the running max combo bonus something like this (I learned C++, so you might need different notation):

Score = 0
currentCombo = 0
maxCombo = 0
If stepGrade == (Perfect OR Good OR Average) then currentCombo++
If stepGrade == Miss then currentCombo = 0
If currentCombo > maxCombo then maxCombo = currentCombo and Score + 1000 = Score

That is, each time the max combo is increased (by virtue of current combo increasing to the point that it exceeds the previous max combo), the score goes up by 1000 in addition to the number of points achieved for the last step's grade. I think this method is far easier than running the end-of-song score calculation each time the grade totals change.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 12-11-2010 04:03 PM

Would everyone hate me if I suggested removing FFR's combo-based scoring? Haha

Plan_Bsk81127 12-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3366364)

You dont know how many people actually want this. XD

Zageron 12-11-2010 04:58 PM

Last I heard, it was being discussed.

Izzy 12-11-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3366364)

I think just about every high end player wants this. And everyone who doesn't want it, doesn't know about combo based scoring.

lightdarkness 12-11-2010 05:18 PM

Just to comment on the top ten scores returned in game. It is supposed to show the last 10 who did so. I'm guessing that someone tinkered with the code and removed this. Should be a simple fix.

Izzy 12-11-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightdarkness (Post 3366398)
Just to comment on the top ten scores returned in game. It is supposed to show the last 10 who did so. I'm guessing that someone tinkered with the code and removed this. Should be a simple fix.

Probably, seeing as how the website correctly displays it this way. Not sure how the game is pulling the data but it isn't in the same order as how the website does it.

Patashu 12-11-2010 11:25 PM

Here's what I'd do to transition to non-combo-based scoring:
Update the engine so it sends both your combo based and non combo based score.
The site keeps track of your best score of both, but everyone can only see the combo based one.
When enough people have played such that the non combo based high score tables will be filled up, transition the entire site to the non combo based scores by pruning every score that has a miss in it.

Izzy 12-12-2010 12:10 AM

What is the formula for calculating the final score? I could have sworn it was just raw score multiplied by combo.

devonin 12-12-2010 01:04 AM

There are slightly different values for P/G/A/M/B in the final score calculation, and then 1000 points per point of combo.

Izzy 12-12-2010 01:21 AM

I see. So it would be rather annoying to do that calculation backwards. It seems possible though since we have the information for the combo as well as the amount of Perfects etc..

cry4eternity 12-12-2010 04:48 AM

How about offset support for non-integers?

bmah 12-12-2010 04:50 AM

So stuff like 1.5 frame offsets? That'd be nice. Is it possible to implement non-whole frames?

rushyrulz 12-12-2010 02:20 PM

I personally don't see anything happening with the scoring. This isn't SM, it's FFR. The current scoring system has been in place for 8 years+ and it would be a hellish day when a change occurs.

I'm completely against a raw score only system, it's pointless to have a combo if it doesn't matter in the score. If anything happens (which it shouldn't) I would like to see something more along the lines of a 250*combo bonus instead of 1000*.

Plan_Bsk81127 12-12-2010 02:22 PM

FFR will always be lol with combo based scoring, this is why SM is better. :P