Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rap is technically music (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151593)

flashflash account 12-31-2019 06:14 AM

Rap is technically music

sunfan told me to make this thread

while it fits the technical definition of music I don't really consider it music there's probably not enough pitch for me to call it music

I'll readily admit that I haven't heard a lot of rap (because it's not really the kind of music I listen to) so I could just be listening to bad rap

sunfan seemed to think I would be crucified for posting this here, interested in yalls takes

Funnygurl555 12-31-2019 06:23 AM

Re: Rap is technically music

i'd recommend jon lajoie if you want to get into good rap

Funnygurl555 12-31-2019 06:25 AM

you know who else was crucified? jesus

you know who actually predicted dbp was a wolf in the champs game? also jesus

WhatWhat123 12-31-2019 07:02 AM

if shapiro says it's not music, im inclined to believe the man who DESTROYS logic-less leftists with FACTS and KNOWLEDGE

Moria 12-31-2019 07:54 AM

people are just meat instruments

the sun fan 12-31-2019 09:32 AM

its not "technically" music
it IS music

SK8R43 12-31-2019 10:26 AM

So mumble rap is music? HA
hahaha

mellonxcollie 12-31-2019 10:33 AM

One way I think you might be able to reframe how you see rap is to looking at the musical backing behind the actual rapping, especially songs that use samples

Here is a song that samples one of my favourite bands, Beach House

Here's the original song

See how Kendrick and his producers manipulated the original song to create something of their own that sounds completely different? While still paying homage to the original and doing it justice.

Not to even mention Kendrick's lyrics, this is a really old track of his but the lyrics to this song kinda changed how I saw relationships back in the day (it's about a guy cheating on his gf just because, through no fault of hers)

Gravity Kitten 12-31-2019 12:20 PM

this is bait

the sun fan 12-31-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravity Kitten (Post 4706427)
this is bait

its something he believes
and yes, he did post it because I egged him to do it
its not bait

Not devonin 12-31-2019 12:49 PM

Yeah, rap is not technically music. Rap is music by basically any reasonable standards that actual musicians would apply.

People who think rap isn't music are just being arbitrarily normative and probably prejudiced.

Quote:

there's probably not enough pitch for me to call it music
The music in rap has plenty of pitch pretty much all the time. Are you referring to pitch in lyrics? If that's the case, how is music with no lyrics music, but music that would be music with no lyrics, suddenly become not music because a rapper is maintaining a steady pitch in the lyrics? Also, does that mean the band 'Cake' is also not music? He's super monotonous in most of his songs.

Coolboyrulez0 12-31-2019 12:56 PM

>Critical Thinking

rushyrulz 12-31-2019 01:28 PM

i like these

but that's pretty much it in the whole rap/hiphop genre

Not devonin 12-31-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4706435)
i like these

How about something like

Dinglesberry 12-31-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

i wouldnt consider that Malaa song rap lol, the genre is called Shallow House (also i love Malaa, i charted notorious actually a while back)

how about someone like nujabes tho thats good rap artist/producer

Dinglesberry 12-31-2019 01:59 PM

does linkin park rapping over their songs count as rap

Not devonin 12-31-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4706438)
does linkin park rapping over their songs count as rap

"Rap Rock" is a genre, of which they were a prime performer, so yes it's rap.

SK8R43 12-31-2019 02:19 PM

Rap is not music, its poetry.
"While in rap “songs” the focus is almost solely on the lyrics, and the instrumental part(usually referred to as “beat”) is of little importance. That's why rap isn't really music. Rap is poetry, often paired with a bit of music in the background. “Rap RARELY has any singing"

the sun fan 12-31-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4706443)
"While in rap “songs” the focus is almost solely on the lyrics, and the instrumental part(usually referred to as “beat”) is of little importance. That's why rap isn't really music. Rap is poetry, often paired with a bit of music in the background. “Rap RARELY has any singing"

I wish I could fine you for this post

Not devonin 12-31-2019 02:33 PM

So any band whose lyrics are poetic aren't doing music because the lyrics are poetry?

How about a song that is literally an existing poem set to music:

How about a song that has very poetic lyrics, and the singer is also a poet?

How about a song that is basically about nonsense, is extremely monotonous but isn't rap

gold stinger 12-31-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Jazz Rap. It's majority Japanese, and the instrumentals are a banger.

mellonxcollie 12-31-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

did you miss my post

rushyrulz 12-31-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4706436)
How about something like

nah

gold stinger 12-31-2019 03:08 PM

I think a lot of the argument trying to be made has to do with what people would define something as an 'art-form' over 'music'.

Myself? I don't really consider white noise, or noise music, as music. More-so experimental, or prose. But, it's music. Some venetian snare drumcore can get pretty dull in terms of pitch over 6 minutes, but it's music. Extratone can have little to no rhythm other than 1200bpm bleep bloops, and could in some cases be considered harsh noise, but it's still a genre of music.

melonpapes 12-31-2019 03:19 PM

damn for people who play a rhythm game some people on FFR have really bad takes on music

SK8R43 12-31-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4706449)
did you miss my post

I didn't read anything really. Just posted hahaha

Dinglesberry 12-31-2019 04:47 PM

Moria 12-31-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melonpapes (Post 4706454)
damn for people who play a rhythm game some people on FFR have really bad takes on music

finding fun through new music pays to keep an open mind

XelNya 12-31-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

i like these

Everything by NF is crazy good.

Rapta 12-31-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4706476)
Everything by NF is crazy good.

Can confirm, I too have listened to NF and love his stuff

Shadow_God_10 01-1-2020 02:18 AM

Wow I missed this thread.

The way I see "music" is as follows: Does it have a melody? Does it have rhythm? The answer to that question is 100% of the time YES. Music always has both of these components.

Now let's ask us the following: Does RAP MUSIC have melody and rhythm? The answer to that question is absolutely yes. Even underground rappers have a melody and rhythm to go off of. Brainsick 1.0 by Twisted Insane, Kaancepts by KAAN are the two best examples I can provide of UNDERGROUND shit. But you can hear a melody and a rhythm to both beats. Therefore I would consider Rap to be music.

Shadow_God_10 01-1-2020 02:54 AM

Because you fucks are too lazy to look anything up, here you go!

SK8R43 01-1-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 (Post 4706506)

Because you fucks are too lazy to look anything up, here you go!

I disagree, i heard ZERO music in these. They are poems
Rap nowadays is literally just crappy mumble rap that you cant even understand but people call it "music" because it has a beat. Not true at all.

V-Ormix 01-1-2020 09:13 AM

Not devonin 01-1-2020 09:14 AM

To anybody trying to make their statement that rap isn't music seem less offensive by saying "because it's poetry instead" do you actually LIKE poetry? Because if you don't like poetry at least as much as you like music, you're still relegating rap to a status of "lesser" which is some pretty dangerous ground to be treading.

mellonxcollie 01-1-2020 10:42 AM

Is this poetry to you...?? to me it sounds like a fun party song about smoking weed with very little poetic value aka music

Quote:

So what I keep 'em rolled up
Saggin' my pants not caring what I show
Keep it real with my **********
Keep it player for the hoes
And look clean don't it?
Washed it the other day, watch how you lean on it
Give me some 501's jeans on and roll joints bigger than King Kong's fingers
And smoke them hoes down 'till they stingers
You a class clown and if I skip for the day I'm with you bitch smokin' grade A

mellonxcollie 01-1-2020 10:45 AM

I know shadowgod knows this one....

so poetic

Quote:

Half a bottle of 151 off in a jug
One cup of Malibu Rum, baby that's whassup then you
Fill the rest of the jug with pineapple juice and it's crackin'
The only defect is waking up like what happened
I like red light parties and fed right bodies who like
Bread like Dolly and head right totties at night
Tech n9ne is an awesome rapper with some dope rhymes and poetic lyrics but are you really gonna tell me that the song Caribou Lou is primarily poetry and not a party SONG?

Gradiant 01-1-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4706511)
I disagree, i heard ZERO music in these. They are poems
Rap nowadays is literally just crappy mumble rap that you cant even understand but people call it "music" because it has a beat. Not true at all.

Learn what the word music means

SK8R43 01-1-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4706515)

Is this poetry to you...?? to me it sounds like a fun party song about smoking weed with very little poetic value aka music

this song actually has singing, unlike alot of rap.

I dont mind rap, if its not mumble rap and actually has good lyrics.

the sun fan 01-1-2020 11:09 AM

I want to see a US map where its like
"We asked 1,000 white people in every state whether or not rap is music and here's the % responses
blue = yes
red = no"

flashflash account 01-1-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4706522)
"We asked 1,000 white people in every state whether or not rap is music and here's the % responses
blue = yes
red = no"

there are a lot of musical preference heatmaps but I can't find any for arbitrary definitions of art

flashflash account 01-1-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4706513)
To anybody trying to make their statement that rap isn't music seem less offensive by saying "because it's poetry instead" do you actually LIKE poetry? Because if you don't like poetry at least as much as you like music, you're still relegating rap to a status of "lesser" which is some pretty dangerous ground to be treading.

I'm sorry my opinion offends you

XelNya 01-1-2020 11:56 AM

I mean as long as it has an intentional beat it pretty much qualifies as music.

Like how a single paint stroke on a canvas is art.

Even if it's cheap and honestly, lazy imho. Still art though.

Not devonin 01-1-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4706522)
blue = yes
red = no"

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4706526)
there are a lot of musical preference heatmaps but I can't find any for arbitrary definitions of art

This poll -was- done, as part of the "Cards Against Humanity Saves America" project, they used a professional polling service to conduct a series of polls with a wide cross-section of respondents on a wide range of subjects. They did a whole section on Rap as music.

People who don’t think rap is music are more likely to be older, rural, uneducated, conservative, approve of Trump, oppose welfare, and think black people benefit from welfare more than white people.

the sun fan 01-1-2020 02:38 PM

yup
that's what I was expecting to see
that's really cool that that was done

Sanjixcon 01-1-2020 02:56 PM

Mac Dre had the best beats/lyrics imo

gold stinger 01-1-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4706530)
People who don’t think rap is music are more likely to be older, rural, uneducated, conservative, approve of Trump, oppose welfare, and think black people benefit from welfare more than white people.

Well, this went from quirk in viewpoint to political real fast.

Not devonin 01-1-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4706537)
Well, this went from quirk in viewpoint to political real fast.

I was quoting the results of a formal scientific poll so...?

MixMasterLar 01-1-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4706538)
I was quoting the results of a formal scientific poll so...?

Hey we sure you weren't already leaning into politics back on like page 1 though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4706430)
People who think rap isn't music are just being arbitrarily normative and probably prejudiced.

I mean not that I needed a magic 8 ball to tell you this was how it was going to end. I have legit never seen this debate go any other way.

Funnygurl555 01-1-2020 04:48 PM

im black

edit: here to give my formal endorsement of ffa as a cool dude

M0nkeyz 01-1-2020 05:04 PM

music
/ˈmjuːzɪk/
noun
vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Rap fills all of these criteria, so yes it's music.

flashflash account 01-1-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nkeyz (Post 4706547)
music
/ˈmjuːzɪk/
noun
vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Rap fills all of these criteria, so yes it's music.

yeah, technically

chooby 01-5-2020 05:50 PM

good job making a thread so fucking stupid it made me make an alt account just so I could post

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4706416)
while it fits the technical definition of music I don't really consider it music there's probably not enough pitch for me to call it music

the fact that you use "pitch" as a means to disregard rap is extra hilarious given that you start off by saying "technical definition of music" when it's paaaaaainfully clear that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. like devonin (???) already posted, the idea that rap isn't music is pretty exclusively held by boomers or racists. I would also go further and say that most people who consider rap to not be music probably have an incredibly skewed and incredibly narrow expectation of what music is. I doubt your average boomer knows who elaine radigue is, or stockhausen.

so I'm hoping here that you're just an ignorant idiot open to be educated on what music is, and not some idiot who's parroting conservative talking points on a subject that you clearly don't know anything about, ala ben shapiro (who effectively holds the same argument you do about rap but doesn't even consider it to fit the "technical definition of music..." whatever the fuck that is)

youtube.com/watch?v=_3utH8Nm_D4

if you have the time, I strongly recommend watching this video. not only does it debunk your boomer idea of what music is, it turns the argument that music needs pitch into a steelman and THEN debunks your boomer idea of what music is.

when you say "not enough" pitch, what do you mean by "not enough?" can you link a piece of music that's on the line of not enough and just enough pitch? would you consider ambient music or drone music to not have enough pitch? what about a drum solo, where there's obviously little to no pitch at all? is that not musical, since it doesn't have enough pitch? even some of the music used in ffr has very little pitch. venetian snares, hello? fuckin atomhead? what do you even mean by pitch? melody? melody can be found in spades in rap, especially in recent years since a lot of modern rappers also sing on their tracks. harmony? harmony can be easily found in the synthesizers or samples used in beats.

and if we're talking about "technical definitions," there are loooooads of styles of music sitting near the thresholds of music that you have to write off. musique concrete? electroacoustic improv? drone? and getting out of the realm of electronic music, how about free jazz? grindcore? all of these push the envelope of what it means to be music way further than your average rapper could ever dream about.

in short, you know very little, if anything, about what makes music music, and are using that to justify writing off one of the most culturally relevant styles of music of the past 40 years.

chooby 01-5-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

you should watch the video I posted too

chooby 01-5-2020 05:59 PM

you won't get a response from me btw since once I log out of this account I won't be able to ever log back in but if you're going to read all that, watch the video, and still not change your mind then you're a lost cause any way

Deadlyx39 01-5-2020 06:47 PM

I thought the only real music was Mongolian throat singing.

Blackskull305 01-5-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4706837)

yeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brwdWi-GszE

Dinglesberry 01-5-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4706837)

in uni I took a computer graphics class and my final project was a music visualizer so I used tibetan throat singing as the sample audio because I was friends with the marker (tfw computer science literally 5 people by 3rd year), and he was into it

Dinglesberry 01-5-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chooby (Post 4706833)
you won't get a response from me btw since once I log out of this account I won't be able to ever log back in but if you're going to read all that, watch the video, and still not change your mind then you're a lost cause any way

dont worry choobler hes a dumb as am i but still at least im a dumb whos open to new things

Dinglesberry 01-5-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chooby (Post 4706831)
you should watch the video I posted too

I'm sorry choobler i love u sir but I refuse to watch a video that mentions ben shapiro, the idea of someone having to refute his opinion is just too much for me, like it should just be assumed that ben shapiro is a fucking moron, it shouldnt be something that needs arguing to show

MixMasterLar 01-6-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chooby (Post 4706833)
you won't get a response from me btw since once I log out of this account I won't be able to ever log back in

Oh thank God.

LeKrispyKreme 01-7-2020 11:11 PM

Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.

Not devonin 01-8-2020 12:06 AM

You have a...fundamentally unsound understanding of what Rap is, in a way that is legitimately concerning to me.

Rap is "gang slang" and "street sounds"...I just...I can't. Do you actually know any black people at all? Completely serious question.

All i wanna do is
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*click*
*cash register noise*
explain to you how absolutely ridiculous the thing you just said was.

XelNya 01-8-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme (Post 4707012)
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.

gonna redirect you to the post that has the nf song in it

and then try to tell me it matches this

mellonxcollie 01-8-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4707017)
gonna redirect you to the post that has the nf song in it

and then try to tell me it matches this

yeah also my post that has the beach house sample

is dream pop band beach house considered "street sounds" now lmao

Funnygurl555 01-8-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4707016)
You have a...fundamentally unsound understanding of what Rap is, in a way that is legitimately concerning to me.

Rap is "gang slang" and "street sounds"...I just...I can't. Do you actually know any black people at all? Completely serious question.

All i wanna do is
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*click*
*cash register noise*
explain to you how absolutely ridiculous the thing you just said was.

what did i just read lmfao

oh you forgot the air horns, police sirens, and ad libs btw. just tryna help

-ffr's token black person

the sun fan 01-8-2020 08:15 AM

The question is whether or not this is the best thread of 2019 or the best thread of 2020

rayword45 01-8-2020 09:09 AM

who the figgity fuck is NF

flashflash account 01-8-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4707028)
The question is whether or not this is the best thread of 2019 or the best thread of 2020

Please don't

Not devonin 01-8-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4707027)
what did i just read lmfao

oh you forgot the air horns, police sirens, and ad libs btw. just tryna help

-ffr's token black person

Er...no I didn't forget anything from that direct quote from existing song lyrics.

Dinglesberry 01-8-2020 10:55 AM

Code:

Hoes Mad
Famous Dex
Produced by Dj Shon
Album The Pill Vol. 2

[Chorus/Hook]
Hoes mad x26

lol the one thing I think is true about rap is that its alot easier to find songs that are extremely awful, compared to other genres

Not devonin 01-8-2020 11:12 AM

If your definition of good music is "Good lyrics to sit around and listen to and think about" maybe, but not all music is FOR that.

MixMasterLar 01-8-2020 11:35 AM

See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's becausethey don't know black people apparently.

Maybe it's just that people don't get what is specifically not made for them instead?

Although, the fact that mainstream rap makes this claim while traditionally having problematic issues with womanizing, gang violence and toxic tribe mentality probably doesn't help their case? Like if I was black I would probably be pissed that the genre made for my culture casually drops lines about picking up hoes and killing fuckers I don't agree with as the norm.

This doesn't represent the entirety of the genre (because of course not, I'm not stupid to think any musical genre is completely one note) but damn if it feels like that's what a good majority of it is and it's off putting to anyone who doesn't want to internalize that kind of content. No amount of positive examples you can link me could outnumber me giving you sever problematic ones that probably got more airtime (although if you want to be petty and play that out, it's gonna have to be later in the week)

.Gazelle. 01-8-2020 11:57 AM

Yike

.Gazelle. 01-8-2020 12:08 PM

Like I'm not even going to bother picking it apart that post was so bad

Gravity Kitten 01-8-2020 01:51 PM

ilikexd 01-8-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4707035)
See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's becausethey don't know black people apparently.

Maybe it's just that people don't get what is specifically not made for them instead?

Although, the fact that mainstream rap makes this claim while traditionally having problematic issues with womanizing, gang violence and toxic tribe mentality probably doesn't help their case? Like if I was black I would probably be pissed that the genre made for my culture casually drops lines about picking up hoes and killing fuckers I don't agree with as the norm.

This doesn't represent the entirety of the genre (because of course not, I'm not stupid to think any musical genre is completely one note) but damn if it feels like that's what a good majority of it is and it's off putting to anyone who doesn't want to internalize that kind of content. No amount of positive examples you can link me could outnumber me giving you sever problematic ones that probably got more airtime (although if you want to be petty and play that out, it's gonna have to be later in the week)

Not devonin 01-8-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's because they don't know black people apparently.
I didn't ask whether he knew any black people because he didn't get the appeal of rap, I asked whether he knew any black people because he said rap music was "70s gang slang and street sounds"

ilikexd 01-8-2020 03:06 PM

i want to hear a hip hop instrumental made out of street sounds

Not devonin 01-8-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4707053)
i want to hear a hip hop instrumental made out of street sounds

Not hip-hop but apparently this is how all rap is made according to krispy, but imagine calling this "not music"