Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Can you find God? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=119600)

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 12:38 PM

Can you find God?

My sister has been telling me that I'm not a true Christian because I said I found God when I was at an all time low in my life and converted. I was told you can't "Magically" convert to Christianity. I was told that God can only find you and that you can never find God. Is this true? Can you not find God or can you find God? Do you have to wait for God to find you? I'm new to being religious so I don't understand... is it just my sister criticizing me for being a religious person or is she telling me the truth?

Poison- 07-11-2011 12:40 PM

Re: Can you find God?

I hear people saying they found god and that their life has been pretty much flipped upside down from it. I'm not religious though, so I don't really know the "rules".

Spenner 07-11-2011 12:50 PM

Are you wanting to be a true Christian or just one with God? I'm not a Christian, but I can tell you that if you've made a profound spiritual experience then you should embrace it if it helps improve your quality of life. The universally defined "Christianity" might not be the same for everyone as dictated, but if you connect with the guidelines and beliefs then I'd say that's what defines your religion.

Personally I'm not a religious person at all though. Just a spiritual person aside from religion.

PlayTrumpet 07-11-2011 12:58 PM

No one is a "true" Christian by your sister's definition. But what's more "magic" than finding God or better yet, believing in what others consider magic (God)? And you don't have to be a Christian to "find" or believe in God.

- This coming from an agnostic atheist

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayTrumpet (Post 3501817)
No one is a "true" Christian by your sister's definition. But what's more "magic" than finding God or better yet, believing in what others consider magic (God)? And you don't have to be a Christian to "find" or believe in God.

- This coming from an agnostic atheist

You know what? It does seem like she is saying that no one is a true Christian maybe she needs to have a conversation with God like she says she believes and follows God but apparently she skipped over verse Jer 29:13 (NIV) that states: "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Reincarnate 07-11-2011 01:55 PM

I will tell you how to find God for a nominal fee

NixXSkate 07-11-2011 02:03 PM

i was hoping this thread was some Where's Waldo-like game
also, your sister makes no sense. don't christians believe that god was ALWAYS with EVERYONE?

DarknessXoXLight 07-11-2011 02:07 PM

"I found God on the corner of first and Amistad." - The Fray. Can't argue with song lyrics bro.

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NixXSkate (Post 3501842)
i was hoping this thread was some Where's Waldo-like game
also, your sister makes no sense. don't christians believe that god was ALWAYS with EVERYONE?

Yea we do believe that but apparently true Christians have to believe that they have to wait for God to find them according to her so I guess I'm not a legit Christian :-/

korny 07-11-2011 02:21 PM

Have you accepted jesus into your heart?

Attractive 07-11-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaTeen (Post 3501799)
My sister has been telling me that I'm not a true Christian because I said I found God when I was at an all time low in my life and converted. I was told you can't "Magically" convert to Christianity. I was told that God can only find you and that you can never find God. Is this true? Can you not find God or can you find God? Do you have to wait for God to find you? I'm new to being religious so I don't understand... is it just my sister criticizing me for being a religious person or is she telling me the truth?

Sounds like your sister is just bitching for the sake of bitching. I wouldn't take her words to heart. You know what you believe, don't you?

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korny (Post 3501850)
Have you accepted jesus into your heart?

Of course I have

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attractive (Post 3501861)
Sounds like your sister is just bitching for the sake of bitching. I wouldn't take her words to heart. You know what you believe, don't you?

Thank you Attractive and of course I know what I believe and I plan on sticking by my beliefs

korny 07-11-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaTeen (Post 3501862)
Of course I have

Then you're saved man!

ffraxis 07-11-2011 02:54 PM

If you haven't found God, you haven't looked hard enough into the mirror and the surrounding universe, plus you are blinded by something.

"The truth will set you free"

ScylaX 07-11-2011 04:19 PM

You cannot find God, you can just rely on what you want your perspective of life to be.

bmah 07-11-2011 04:31 PM

Believe what you want. Don't let preachers get the better of you. Whether you're religious or not, it's hard to be fond of preachers.

AquaTeen 07-11-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korny (Post 3501864)
Then you're saved man!

Thanks dude :-D

G.S.M 07-11-2011 07:02 PM

Snape killed God.

Silver Sky 07-11-2011 09:10 PM

It's not really a matter of finding God. he is everywhere. Take to heart what the bible says on this matter. For instance Joshua 1:8 Which states: This book of the law should not depart from your mouth, and you must in an undertone read in it day and night, in order that you make take care to do according to all that is written it it; for then you will make your way successful and then you will act wisely. Of course this is talking abotu reading the bible daily. The bible is God's way of communicaating with us. You don't litterally talk to him. The bible is what makes our everyday life easier if we follow it closely. As he scripture brought out we will make our way successful. John 17:3 the same. Talking about gaining everlasting life. Something we all would like to have. How though? It brings out taking in knowledge. If we were to follow the commandments in the bible then we would have a much happier life. and the more we learn about God the closer we draw to him. Have any questions just ask. :)