Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   carpal tunnel is real (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148757)

Garquillex 01-22-2018 08:24 PM

carpal tunnel is real

seriously take care of your hands/tendons and look up preventative measures

I thought I was immune after no hand/tendon pain even if I played FFR or starcraft for 16 hours straight, day in and day out for years, but here I am at 27 and my hands just hurt all day even doing nothing

everyone in this community is immediately placed into perhaps the 1st or 2nd worst at-risk demographic of people for this

blindreper1179 01-22-2018 09:05 PM

Re: carpal tunnel is real

Been playing for most of the past 12 years, and I'm good. Won't happen to everyone.

Rapta 01-22-2018 09:18 PM

If I survive for that long, healthcare will be better by then

-Blue7- 01-22-2018 09:21 PM

yah i really thought i had it years ago when it was hard to pull on door handles at school or even hold a sandwich at lunch but some how it went away...

Sorry to hear u weren't so lucky tho :c

Mahou 01-22-2018 10:09 PM

Yep, my hands are in the same situation from playing lots of games. It has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of years from weight lifting

Tarrik 01-23-2018 02:39 AM

I once upon a time had mild tendonitis in both hands, but it was wayyyy more present in the left one. Doctor told me i was going to do permanent damage if i kept going how i was. He wasn't wrong.

It got better over time from changing things up, but i started having some issues with day to day stuff and took a toll on work with lifting things and what not.

Hand stretches definitely helped relieve a lot of the issues i was having, but they can't fix permanent damage once you've gone too far..So be careful guys :)

G.S.M 01-23-2018 04:59 AM

That is why I stopped before I did permanent damage to my hands.

just remind yourself how life is going to be in the future if you cannot masturbate anymore

bro

Leosnia 01-23-2018 09:13 PM

I have tendonitis, but it was from working at McDonalds for so long with the kitchen and what not. I had to wear braces for my right wrist often. Now I have an ergonomic mousepad and keyboard so that I keep my wrists at the correct elevation and reduce the amount of movement they have. I still have issues, but I can just wear the brace and usually it's fine.

MikeShinoda12345 01-23-2018 10:23 PM

would be curious to have a poll of the top players in the game, how their hands are with day-to-day activities

SpaceGorilla 01-23-2018 10:24 PM

generally keep your hands from doing this or getting cts or some kind of rsi by practicing good posture in your wrists/fingers

if your wrists are going outwards, up, or inwards a lot, it's not a good position and you'll probably eventually experience issues

i use efji/wdko setup for spread because it's more """ergonomic""" and puts less stress on my wrists (minimal wrist deviation)

Izzy 01-25-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindreper1179 (Post 4606341)
Been playing for most of the past 12 years, and I'm good. Won't happen to everyone.

Yea. I feel like a slight difference in style could cause very drastic differences in wrist strain. You should try and play more with your arms than your wrists if you can.

I've also always played q,s,l,p whenever played spread so that might help.

EtienneSM 01-25-2018 01:40 PM

If you're playing for more than 2 1/2 hours, don't be surprised if you get hand injuries in the future.

There's just no point in playing longer than that lmao

DossarLX ODI 01-25-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtienneSM (Post 4606539)
If you're playing for more than 2 1/2 hours, don't be surprised if you get hand injuries in the future.

Excellent advice. When I was playing Stepmania frequently, I'd have intense sessions that were only about 2 hours long. Longer does not necessarily mean better.

Garquillex 01-26-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtienneSM (Post 4606539)

this is definitely accurate or close to totally accurate; games/skills that focus so harshly on rote/mechanical skill seem to almost invariably benefit better from breaks than from excessive continuous practice. Though this should be common knowledge on FFR by this point.

I think we had a top player many years ago have to quit over carpal tunnel.

to prevent injury/straining the basic rule of thumb tendons I feel is is to keep your tendons straight as possible, moving as little as possible, and rubbing/stretching around your wrists' tube (the actual carpal tunnel) as little as possible

those fuckers are the only reason your fingers can contract/move, and the shortest distance between 2 points is in a straight line

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindreper1179 (Post 4606341)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapta (Post 4606343)
If I survive for that long, healthcare will be better by then

I know these are likely bravado-laden jokes, but just in case plz take care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Blue7- (Post 4606345)
Sorry to hear u weren't so lucky tho :c

I think I'm lucky to have lasted this long. Everyone I know with carpel tunnel has abused their tendons WAY less than me.

EtienneSM 01-28-2018 04:50 PM

Pretty sure Kaiten had to quit from carpal tunnel. He was a pretty sick speed player at the time.

zFeikG 02-13-2018 10:16 PM

i have it since i start playing geometry dash in 2014, nice gg

jvizzlez 02-14-2018 07:35 AM

https://youtu.be/wt4aQQJDJPg?t=4m18s

SICKOVENOMOUS 02-14-2018 10:10 AM

welp, practice makes perfect, even if ur hands are in 100% pure pain :D Gotta get dat stamina

TheSaxRunner05 02-15-2018 08:01 AM

This is pretty much why I quit playing once I got a desk job - I type all day and play saxophone on weekends, and I want to save my hands. I've never really played super long sessions, but I was starting to get mild hand pain and backed off.

Charu 02-15-2018 11:12 AM

I wouldn't say that's one of the reasons why I stopped playing as often, but I did have this at the back of my mind whenever I play again after I stopped doing it daily.

It's nicer this way. No stress, no worrying about getting AAA's (though I'm absolutely trash now), and just tap along with music.

It's nice not having to worry about this... or getting better again, lol.