Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Recommend me math help. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=125882)

Thatskier 09-14-2012 11:37 PM

Recommend me math help.

So awhile back I made a thread on whether to take Calc AB or Calc BC first. So I decided to take the harder of the two, being BC.
Now seeing I just took two tests on chapter 3 (derivatives) not basic derivatives but every kind of derivative (at least that i know of all the rules and implicit differentiation) and i got a 55% and 60% on the tests. The problem is I understand all of the information. I'm not sure why i failed both tests but our teacher makes his own tests that he says are much harder than the AP exam on purpose so when we take the AP exam it is easy. But the chapters will get harder. I thought iv been studying and doing homework all good and dandy but apparently not. I think the multiple choice is killing me (no points if wrong answer). So... help? Khan academy is good and all but thats teaching concepts in a very slow manner that i already get.... :\

Tidus810 09-14-2012 11:41 PM

Re: Recommend me math help.

Are these tests simply giving you an equation and saying "go"? Or is there more obscure stuff at play having to do with graph interpretation or anything else of that sort?

edit: Also, if there are trig functions involved and multiple derivations in a single problem it can become -very- easy to make a minor mistake early on that entirely butchers your answer.

Thatskier 09-14-2012 11:43 PM

15 multiple choice and 4 free response questions. On the free response they are more like applied questions were u get points for showing your work even if you do it wrong. On the multiple choice if you get it wrong you get no points, even if work is shown.

iironiic 09-14-2012 11:46 PM

I could help you if you would like. I need to review calculus anyways for the GRE Subject Test that I will be taking in a month, so I may benefit a lot by helping you.

Tidus810 09-14-2012 11:47 PM

Oh, dang. Multiple choice on calc exams is so asinine, seriously... If you accidentally forget a negative going between sin/cos or something then you're screwed. I understand the AP exam is mc, but ugh... Maybe I or someone can post a question and see where you might go wrong? Idunno. :\

cedolad 09-14-2012 11:51 PM

not to piggyback here, but anyone have anywhere to get sample problems for pre-calc/calculus? Working on getting out of my algebra class and back into calc.

Artic_counter 09-14-2012 11:57 PM

The best help you can get is from your teacher. He's the one who made those tests, so he knows exactly what he wants you to learn and how. Go see him and ask him what's wrong with your understanding of the subject.

Because yes, the uttermost stupid thing you can do is assume you know and understand everything about a subject (I speak from experience). Things usually aren't THAT easy.

Reincarnate 09-15-2012 12:08 AM

What are some example questions you got wrong?

I ask because it would help us see what kind of mistakes you are making and thus what kind of help you need.

You say you understand the material but get things wrong anyway -- are you just making "careless" mistakes by carrying out an algebraic setup incorrectly, or getting questions wrong because certain calculus concepts are being misapplied? (e.g. "Oh shit I forgot to find the derivative of that part too when trying to use chain rule")