Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Depression vs FFR Skill Level (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=78831)

cal607 09-24-2007 10:43 AM

Depression vs FFR Skill Level

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether depression might cause a decrease in skill at FFR?

Personally i think it does. When a person is depressed or sad they aren't as likely to use their brain as fast or efficient as usual, at least in my case. I think it would slow their reaction time, and perhaps alter their coordination.

Any other opinions?

beaner692 09-24-2007 10:48 AM

Re: Depression vs FFR Skill Level

When someone goes into a state of depression their skill in moving their fingers fast decreases; this is a known fact.

spartanumaw 09-24-2007 10:54 AM

i disagree wen i get depressed my skill level is greatly increased alsmost doubled which is even more depressing knowing i cant just make myself depressed every time i go to play ffr
so its only happenned 3 or so times but thats when i am at my best

im curious to see other peoples opinions on this

im sure im not the only person who is like this

Wootsicle 09-24-2007 02:17 PM

Well it depends what you mean by "depressed."
Do you mean sad, or mentally depressed and diagnosed with an illness?

It all really depends.

tloz998 09-24-2007 02:48 PM

nah...i seem to play much better during a state of severe depression...which kinda gives me insentive to be depressed...but at the same time confounds me to no end

korny 09-24-2007 02:50 PM

I'll ask my psychiatrist and see what she has to say.

~HentaiXXX~ 09-24-2007 09:56 PM

Never been depressed, wouldn't know. I really wouldn't think you could play FFR better being depressed, your mind wouldn't really be focused on the task at hand.

Doug31 09-24-2007 10:07 PM

It doesn't seem like depression has much effect on my gameplay. I felt depressed all summer, but then even what I was happy as can be from thinking about colt, I still didn't really do a noticeable amount better, I think it was just my normal improvement.

Fantasticone 09-24-2007 10:10 PM

Depression increases your skill but at a price, trust me I know.

Starshot 09-24-2007 10:11 PM

In FFR, yeah, I've noticed it mildly.

In IIDX, it doesn't effect me for some odd reason.

tofurox 09-24-2007 10:12 PM

Depression makes me play all the harder. I have never been extremely depressed, cause nothing really badz happened before. My dad does not really care about me allot (he says he does), but he always wants me to do more educational things, but whatever. Sometimes he gaets mad and crap etc. and I am kinda, well anyways, off that confusing thought, sometimes it just seems unfair. But when I am mad at somthing it makes me want that AAA or Dazzling Destiny FC (it is soo hard for an indexer) even more.

Edit: My mom's cool!

hi19hi19 09-24-2007 10:35 PM

I think it might help a little actually.

Detatched/daydreaming = more movement on reaction, not on memorization or anticipation.
Same effect a tad bit of alchohol has. I always play better after say a quarter of a glass of wine. I'm just slightly detatched, so everything is just reaction. Which helps with FFR :)

p.s. I've not been diagnosed as depressed before, but I've certainly personally felt sometimes that I was depressed. It's not happy, and FFR certainly doesn't help your mood. Which leads me to the big question: why are you playing FFR when you're depressed?

Doug31 09-24-2007 10:37 PM

Oh yeah, daydreaming/talking with someone while playing=I play a lot better. I was probably going to top 10 Over the Rave today until I started paying attention and missed.

Justice Beloved 09-24-2007 10:53 PM

I think that depends on the person. Some people act differently when depressed, it's not the same for everyone (at least, I can assume not O_o).

g4z33b0 09-25-2007 07:11 AM

this thread is like skinning yourself with a cleaver

Sequal 09-25-2007 09:07 AM

my opinion on it, being stressed out, angry or dissapointed (In my case) i dont want to talk to anyone. i feel confined to myself because what everybody else says is useless horse ****. So i play ffr. during my psychout, i get a near AAA on that Carolmix. So, i say stress is wonderful for the game. im pretty sure it isnt good for Yourself though.
if you start a poll, lol

Increase

chunky_cheese 09-25-2007 09:11 AM

I don't know what it's like NOT to play depressed, =P

Also, Doug and Colt, sitting in a tree! Doug AAA's and Colt's like O.M.G!

Sequal 09-25-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunky_cheese (Post 1802228)
I don't know what it's like NOT to play depressed, =P

Also, Doug and Colt, sitting in a tree! Doug AAA's and Colt's like O.M.G!

Lol Ftw to your Sigggy :P

lxDestinyxl 09-25-2007 09:34 AM

When you are depressed:
*Your combo-ing a FMO song with very good PA, you miss, you will possibly swear at the monitor and say that it's not fair and it sucks...
When you aren't depressed:
*Pssh, darn, meh...
When you are depressed:
*Worse PA, taps start slackening, more like slapping at the keys...
When you aren't depressed:

Do you fit into the category?

All_That_Chaz 09-25-2007 09:42 AM

i took a sample of 21 people on ffr, ordered them from highest to lowest in terms of ffr skill, and this is what i got:

hmm.