Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Writing and Literature (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   i'm reading teh kjv bible (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=154523)

_choof 10-25-2023 02:17 AM

i'm reading teh kjv bible

I havent read anything out of a bible since I was a teenager, and I'm p sure I was using an niv bible back then for church and youth group and whatever else lol. recently fell down a bit of a philisophical rabbit hole and felt compelled to revisit the bible, but I figured I'd read the kjv bible instead, since that seems to be the most widely respected by far in regards to the bible as an artistic work of english language literature. I'm also interested in the apocryphia, as I had literally never heard about this until very recently (like within the last few months)

o also I'm not religious at all and would solidly consider myself an atheist. I'm only letting jesus come in thru the backdoor

ositzxz369 10-25-2023 02:37 AM

Re: i'm reading teh kjv bible

(1.) Instead of reading, have you considered listening to a YT vid of someone reading the bible to you? (2.) What do you mean by saying, "letting jesus come in thru the backdoor" ?

_choof 10-25-2023 02:43 AM

I enjoy reading from physical books, I also have a free monthly credit thing for audible due to amazon prime or whatever so I've been reading along while listening to the audiobook, it's kino. the audiobook doesnt have the apocryphia tho, rip
I told my christian mom that I've been reading the bible and she's pretty excited for me to let jebus into my heart. sorry mom....

jacobvl39 10-25-2023 10:06 AM

Some sections of ritual laws, genealogy, etc. in certain books like Leviticus, Numbers or 1 Chronicles can be quite a slog. A lot of people will get to these points and give up. My advice is don't be afraid to skim or skip some of those parts if that's what it takes to keep going.

rushyrulz 10-25-2023 10:06 AM

from what I recall, the KJV is quite a dry read. As are all holy books tho.

_choof 10-25-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobvl39 (Post 4792601)
Some sections of ritual laws, genealogy, etc. in certain books like Leviticus, Numbers or 1 Chronicles can be quite a slog. A lot of people will get to these points and give up. My advice is don't be afraid to skim or skip some of those parts if that's what it takes to keep going.

considering how repetitive numbers can be I wonder if I could just slap a bit of reverb on the audiobook and play a low drone in the background and listen to it like that lmao

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4792602)
from what I recall, the KJV is quite a dry read. As are all holy books tho.

so far so good, it'll most likely vary quite a bit from book to book. numbers sucks ass in every english version of the bible but psalms and song of songs slap

br1mst0ne 10-25-2023 12:34 PM

if you don't want to fall into the current narrative of "ohh those <insert minority here in negative manner>", treat the old testament of the bible as a storybook

idk if i should get into this more though here's a link; even if you aren't a christian (which i'm somewhat atheist but just focusing on other things more than religion atm) it's still a somewhat interesting read
https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html

_choof 10-25-2023 12:47 PM

I'm treating all of it as primarily a work of fiction, because it is

br1mst0ne 10-25-2023 01:30 PM

valid, i was just accounting for either believing or not believing

anyways hope you at least enjoy the book :p

XCV 10-25-2023 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobvl39 (Post 4792601)

Ironically, the endless family tree in 1 Chronicles was the only part of the Bible I can remember enjoying growing up in evangelical Christian school. But I'm weird like that.

aperson 10-25-2023 02:36 PM

kjv is probably the most useful for understanding why WASPs are the way they are but probably the worst from a translational accuracy perspective

_choof 10-25-2023 04:28 PM

interesting, what would you consider to be the most accurate in terms of translation, the nrsv?

aperson 10-25-2023 08:35 PM

nrsv is probably more accurate but nasb is probably go to for correctness + ubiquity.

mellonxcollie 10-25-2023 09:17 PM

When I was in Catholic school I always wanted to use KJV because it just made more sense to me. When I'd look up verses online KJV always seemed like the least convoluted. but of course we weren't allowed to use it

How is it after not reading it since being a teen? I'd be in that boat too but honestly I could never ever see myself willingly reading a bible. kinda rather stab myself in the face so I will take your word on the experience :mrgreen: