Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   An Open Letter Re: Mods (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150119)

DaBackpack 11-10-2018 04:56 AM

Re: An Open Letter Re: Mods

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4655952)
The issue at hand there is that the only reason that word does what she claims it does, is because people like her have given it that pedestal and power to do so. My like or dislike of Raeko aside, what I have to say about it remains the same. Censoring it doesn't solve the issue, removing the power from it does. You do this by not giving it that power in the first place.

No amount of you saying this is going to make it (non-vacuously) true

EDIT: I honestly can't believe certain people in this thread are being so pedantic about rules

There's these things called "common sense" and "inference" which, even if wording in a rules thread isn't clearly defined, help you get an idea of what not the fuck to do in the forum. It's not a goddamn legal document, it's a set of heuristics that help you not get kicked out of FFR.

It's pitiful that you need an itemized list of "what specific versions of the n-word can I use" as if being on the internet absolves you of any responsibility of being an actual decent human being. If the rules say "don't use slurs", why in God's name would you try to find out what specifically constitutes a slur? It's embarrassing.

I have no reason to suspect that bans are being given without transparency. What I do see is people trying to find out exactly where the line is and getting booted for toeing it. This isn't a transparency issue. Nobody has any obligation to write you a letter about what specific words you can and can't use here. Again, that's just pedantic and honestly if you're that interested in those edge cases, you are most likely not acting in good faith.

You don't get serious consequences for acting in good faith. Most of the ban cases I see are of people acting in bad faith, trying to "push limits" as if this social media platform is a fucking video game. There are bugs in this game, there are objects you can clip through, but if you actively trying to exploit the system then you deserve to be banned.

gold stinger 11-10-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4656130)
It's pitiful that you need an itemized list of "what specific versions of the n-word can I use" as if being on the internet absolves you of any responsibility of being an actual decent human being. If the rules say "don't use slurs", why in God's name would you try to find out what specifically constitutes a slur? It's embarrassing.

Here's a very good example on context that also bridges the current major Open Letter threads in the process. Shows that there's a difference between whether something can be damaging/attacking, or can describe a situation in a way that isn't meant to be damaging/attacking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4656143)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4656142)
Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4656141)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4656129)
i check back on this site occasionally and i am astounded each time to see how much further the community has managed to sink into its own collective autism-fueled degeneracy

i can only pray this is rock bottom

What happened to you man, you used to be cool.

Big ol' oof.

We all made the corn man sad and that makes me sad.

His using 'autistic' as a slur is what makes me sad.

I am inclined to agree with dbp on this one. It just takes a level of common sense and inference to get by.

Funnygurl555 11-10-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4656130)
No amount of you saying this is going to make it (non-vacuously) true

EDIT: I honestly can't believe certain people in this thread are being so pedantic about rules

There's these things called "common sense" and "inference" which, even if wording in a rules thread isn't clearly defined, help you get an idea of what not the fuck to do in the forum. It's not a goddamn legal document, it's a set of heuristics that help you not get kicked out of FFR.

I have no reason to suspect that bans are being given without transparency. What I do see is people trying to find out exactly where the line is and getting booted for toeing it. This isn't a transparency issue. Nobody has any obligation to write you a letter about what specific words you can and can't use here. Again, that's just pedantic and honestly if you're that interested in those edge cases, you are most likely not acting in good faith.

You don't get serious consequences for acting in good faith. Most of the ban cases I see are of people acting in bad faith, trying to "push limits" as if this social media platform is a fucking video game. There are bugs in this game, there are objects you can clip through, but if you actively trying to exploit the system then you deserve to be banned.

sorry im commenting again, but I've been accused of harassing people at school when i thought i was acting reasonably. in my case it was probably racially motivated (angry black woman trope lol) but "harass" is just too vauge a word, even for people who at least try to act in good faith. at least, im trying to do that now.

it's easy to misinterpret criticism as personal attacks if someone is criticizing something you put effort into.

rayword45 11-10-2018 09:15 AM

im not white and im not gonna argue in this shithole race bullshit argument

but i do wanna say the point of the OP is very, very valid. yeah ban whoever but please stop deleting the posts its making thread pages go poopoo

xXOpkillerXx 11-10-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4656148)
sorry im commenting again, but I've been accused of harassing people at school when i thought i was acting reasonably. in my case it was probably racially motivated (angry black woman trope lol) but "harass" is just too vauge a word, even for people who at least try to act in good faith. at least, im trying to do that now.

it's easy to misinterpret criticism as personal attacks if someone is criticizing something you put effort into.

You have any example on here?

I believe it's not a hard task to see if the criticism is loaded with harmful words or not

For example:
Your opinion on the topic seems like it's based a bit too much on rough personal experiences and not enough on actual logic.

Your fucking thought process is so damn ridiculous all you do is talk about your selfish ass, you dumbfuck

(Just an example, not srs)

Elena- 11-10-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4656151)

but i do wanna say the point of the OP is very, very valid. yeah ban whoever but please stop deleting the posts its making thread pages go poopoo

if you look close enough, we're all white

rushyrulz 11-10-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4656117)
I've heard the exact opposite from like 99% of all members of historically oppressed classes I've ever seen give an opinion about this. So you're not just disagreeing with me on this, you're disagreeing with the impacted people who are saying "No, even in a context you think is not hateful, using that word is hateful to us" which, of course, you can believe all you want.

Yeah and 100% of the times I've mentioned this, you respond the same way, which is why I A) prefaced that I'm aware you disagree and B) included the rest of my post saying that it's my opinion and that my opinion doesn't matter on the website and I will still abide by its rules and so should everyone else.

You're welcome for the spark notes since you seem to have read the first sentence and cherry picked it out with your passive-aggressive response.

Not the purpose of this thread anyway, let's move it along.

kommisar 11-10-2018 10:21 AM

rayword45 11-10-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elena- (Post 4656155)
if you look close enough, we're all white

aperson 11-10-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4656160)
Yeah and 100% of the times I've mentioned this, you respond the same way, which is why I A) prefaced that I'm aware you disagree and B) included the rest of my post saying that it's my opinion and that my opinion doesn't matter on the website and I will still abide by its rules and so should everyone else.

You're welcome for the spark notes since you seem to have read the first sentence and cherry picked it out with your passive-aggressive response.

Not the purpose of this thread anyway, let's move it along.

thank u for the 5 paragraph essay on how you should be able to say the n word

SKG_Scintill 11-10-2018 11:40 AM

any word can be offensive
depends on context
any slur can be inoffensive
depends on context
cocks

Funnygurl555 11-10-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4656151)

if you meant my post, then sorry for bringing race into it. that's not what i was getting across, just that "common sense" doesnt always work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4656153)
You have any example on here?

I believe it's not a hard task to see if the criticism is loaded with harmful words or not

For example:
Your opinion on the topic seems like it's based a bit too much on rough personal experiences and not enough on actual logic.

Your fucking thought process is so damn ridiculous all you do is talk about your selfish ass, you dumbfuck

(Just an example, not srs)

ive thought that people havent liked my work because they didnt like me before when that probably wasnt true. i think the context of the words matter more than the words themselves a lot

and the second sentence is never ok obv lol

sorry i should stop argh its just dbp's post and i was like "wait"

roundbox 11-10-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4656183)
depends on context
depends on context
cocks

You're such a fucking hard worker
Are you offended yet

Charu 11-10-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4656206)
Are you offended yet

You're an old kid, old kid.

flashflash account 11-10-2018 01:44 PM

Workaholic is hard worker in a negative connotation

dashoe93 11-10-2018 01:48 PM

Is this what happens when I forget to check the forums for a day lmao

Spenner 11-10-2018 01:52 PM

I know we all want to be adults here and deal with these things like adults— and while we all have grown, this is still a platform for the same demographic it always has been. I don’t think the attitude or leniancy is going to change just because everyone is older now, as much as a lot of us want this to be the case.

SKG_Scintill 11-10-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4656206)
Are you offended yet

You know who I don't like? hard workers

I mean, they just had to have tried harder in school so they could get an easy office job like me, but instead *now* they decide to work hard, when it's not important anymore, what a waste.

Procrastinate and only work when it's the last resort, then complain when people like me earn loads of cash for doing little. They don't understand that's because I plan and spread out my work, so my workload isn't sky high.
Laze around all day, work themselves into a puddle of sweat, complain, then laze around again... such a hard worker's mentality.

You know what you are, roundbox? a hard worker

rushyrulz 11-10-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4656170)
thank u for the 5 paragraph essay on how you should be able to say the n word

It wasn't a 5 paragraph essay, and I think I gave valid points, on-topic in a discussion forum...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4656183)
depends on context
depends on context
cocks

true

yo man im awesome 11-10-2018 06:15 PM

idk how forums work but is there a way to leave a sort of receipt of a deleted post? something that essentially replaces the original post with "post deleted. Reason: inappropriate content/toxic behavior/xyz" so that way it's a little less confusing when you look at a locked thread and see someone talking to themselves, but also remove the unsavory content?

EDIT: Ironically, would essentially editing posts with that apply instead? I don't believe non-moderators have a means to read the edit-history of a given post so editing it with the above "deleted" message maybe?