Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   all-nighter (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116144)

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 06:56 PM

all-nighter

gotta pull my first school-related one tonight thanks to back-to-back tuesday night/wednesday morning exams

post anything you guys want in here that'll help keep me up, whether it be advice as to what I should physically be doing to help keep my body awake or random hilarious crap that I can watch at 4 in the morning

love you guys~

fido123 12-14-2010 07:00 PM

Re: all-nighter

Perhaps you should sleep unless you're really unprepared for the exam. If you've already been studying (I don't), sleep and you'll do much better.

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 07:00 PM

not prepared in the least, that's why I'm doing this :(

rushyrulz 12-14-2010 07:01 PM

add me on AIM: rushyrulz. I'm pretty good at keeping people up.

kmay 12-14-2010 07:05 PM

i have an english exam at 730 tmrw morning had my pre-calc one today at 730. i hate my finals schedule. too stay up(if its cold out) i go outside for a little until im too cold to feel tired

who_cares973 12-14-2010 07:08 PM

Wolf/dog naps power naps. Sleep for 10 minutes and you're good for another 6 hours. They work no joke I do them often since I always need to pull all nighters

Reach 12-14-2010 07:10 PM

It's well established in the literature that sleep depriving yourself leads to decreased response speed and increased variability in performance especially on tasks involving alertness, attention and vigilance...

i.e. not sleeping will have a statistically significant effect on factors you need in order to do well on tests.

Study as hard as you can, but get some sleep before the exam. Otherwise, your studying won't help you much because you'll lack the basic cognitive functions usually required for exams. Consider cramming, sleeping and then cramming again before the exam in the morning.

Rubin0 12-14-2010 07:10 PM

We are in the same boat. I have a 6 page paper to write, but I was so exhausted after taking my behavior modification final today that I slept most of the day. I'll camp out in this thread.

SK8R43 12-14-2010 07:13 PM

I WANNA STAY UP, even though i have Work in the morning. lol

kmay 12-14-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 3369494)
It's well established in the literature that sleep depriving yourself leads to decreased response speed and increased variability in performance especially on tasks involving alertness, attention and vigilance...

i.e. not sleeping will have a statistically significant effect on factors you need in order to do well on tests.

Study as hard as you can, but get some sleep before the exam. Otherwise, your studying won't help you much because you'll lack the basic cognitive functions usually required for exams. Consider cramming, sleeping and then cramming again before the exam in the morning.

one all nighter won't impair how well he does on the test. drink a cup of coffee before you go into it and you will be fine

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 3369494)
Study as hard as you can, but get some sleep before the exam. Otherwise, your studying won't help you much because you'll lack the basic cognitive functions usually required for exams.

this is exactly what I'm worried about, so I was planning on establishing some sort of 'sleep schedule'...only problem is, I'm such a deep sleeper

I normally don't sleep with an alarm because my body knows exactly when to wake up by itself if I just choose a time, but I'm not big on naps so I haven't perfected this...uhhh, 'technique', with shorter sleep intervals...I'm worried that if I try this, I'll end up attempting to take a nap from 12:30-1:30 and waking up at 4:30

which would not be good

who_cares973 12-14-2010 07:20 PM

Yes it will lol. I take it you've never gone 24+ hours awake and then had to do a high level task before. Do this, have someone drop a ruler and have you catch it. Measure the distance it too for you to catch it. Do it again after 24 hours awake and see how much slower you are

MrGiggles 12-14-2010 07:20 PM

Adderall is great for this. Five hour energy is pretty good too, I find that it doesn't make me feel active or energetic but it does keep me awake and somewhat alert.

Also, metal.

who_cares973 12-14-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Winged Angel (Post 3369504)
this is exactly what I'm worried about, so I was planning on establishing some sort of 'sleep schedule'...only problem is, I'm such a deep sleeper

I normally don't sleep with an alarm because my body knows exactly when to wake up by itself if I just choose a time, but I'm not big on naps so I haven't perfected this...uhhh, 'technique', with shorter sleep intervals...I'm worried that if I try this, I'll end up attempting to take a nap from 12:30-1:30 and waking up at 4:30

which would not be good

Wolf naps/power naps google them

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3369506)
Also, metal.

I've got one laptop with my notes and another laptop with all the metal I need for this occasion :twisted:

aite carlos googling now

bmah 12-14-2010 07:24 PM

When I pulled off all-nighters, they were usually for assignments, namely long papers. But I don't recall times when I needed to do that for a test.

Assuming that sleep isn't an option you'll take, it helps to stimulate your senses. This could be anything from slightly opening the window to get the cold air in your face, to drinking hot chocolate, to inhaling Vick's minty vapors. Some people temporarily stand on their heads too.

If wc's suggestion works, I think that would be the first way to go. I've always been told to do "power naps" but like you, I don't control my sleep very easily. It's hard for me to "wake up like that" within a specific time. It only works if I'm half-asleep...otherwise, I lose control and probably go into some sort of deep sleep.

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 07:28 PM

yeah I just googled wolf napping and I honestly think it could work, getting a double-sleep regardless of the length of time of each nap is always ridiculously refreshing

sadly I haven't stocked up on energy drinks but hot chocolate sounds like a very acceptable substitute

bmah 12-14-2010 07:31 PM

Just as a warning, don't get too comfortable from the warmth of the hot chocolate. You'll fall asleep easily otherwise. Which is why my suggestions were mostly about cold things.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 12-14-2010 07:35 PM

out of curiosity, what exams are you studying for?

One Winged Angel 12-14-2010 07:36 PM

I'd just written managerial finance today and have my actuarial science final tomorrow morning

some of the material overlaps, which is good, but it's really not a huge chunk

also both worth 70% so... :(