Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tokyo Internship (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=143229)

megamon88 11-6-2015 05:13 PM

Tokyo Internship

Hey everyone, it's been a while.

I just accepted an internship position as a software engineer at Microsoft in Tokyo, so I'll be living there for 4 months from January to April. If anyone has any tips/stories about living in Tokyo I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, if anyone wants to meet up or anything when I'm there, just let me know.

ps i've been here for 9.7 years ayy

shenjoku 11-6-2015 07:13 PM

Re: Tokyo Internship

Nice! Congrats! :)

hi19hi19 11-6-2015 07:28 PM

That's a pretty sick position, congrats!

Wayward Vagabond 11-6-2015 07:30 PM

Oh shit. That's awesome, goncrats!

SKG_Scintill 11-6-2015 08:04 PM

Windows MLP

Tsniper 11-6-2015 08:04 PM

At first, we cannot do without train in Tokyo, so it is strongly recommended to memorize some major routes and stations. Also many stations have very complicated structure as wtf. There are English signs but be careful, you still might be lost sometimes.

And, very few of us speak English fluently, including me. We probably can't even hear what you are saying. I think it rarely happens that you need to communicate but don't expect too much of us rofl

I'm living in Tokyo now, so feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. I could reply to it. Congratulations on your internship!

DaBackpack 11-6-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsniper (Post 4372894)
At first, we cannot do without train in Tokyo, so it is strongly recommended to memorize some major routes and stations. Also many stations have very complicated structure as wtf. There are English signs but be careful, you still might be lost sometimes.

And, very few of us speak English fluently, including me. We probably can't even hear what you are saying. I think it rarely happens that you need to communicate but don't expect too much of us rofl

I'm living in Tokyo now, so feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. I could reply to it. Congratulations on your internship!

The trains are very useful

as far as learning Japanese goes, honestly I'd recommend learning katakana first ---- so many of the signs there have English words spelled out in katakana so at least you can understand a bit by phonetically spelling those words out

AragakiAyase 11-6-2015 09:07 PM

Learn katakana and hiragana at the same time if you can help it because they're both essential. And then you should learn kanji because that's essential as well :p

PhantomPuppy 11-6-2015 09:19 PM

wow, thats super cool. tell me about your experience there, because I'm thinking about doing study abroad in japan either next year or the following year. :)

megamon88 11-6-2015 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4372903)
as far as learning Japanese goes, honestly I'd recommend learning katakana first ---- so many of the signs there have English words spelled out in katakana so at least you can understand a bit by phonetically spelling those words out

Quote:

Originally Posted by AragakiAyase (Post 4372906)
Learn katakana and hiragana at the same time if you can help it because they're both essential. And then you should learn kanji because that's essential as well :p

I already know Japanese at an N4~N3 level from taking courses, so I hopefully won't have too many problems getting around. My kanji is really shit though so I'll probably have to rely on the google translate app a lot.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4372903)
The trains are very useful

I went to Japan for 2 weeks this summer on vacation and I got a decent hold on the train/subway system in Tokyo. Google maps and Hyperdia really helped me locate things. It's true that the stations can be confusing though, especially for the huge stations where there are tons of different trains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy (Post 4372908)
wow, thats super cool. tell me about your experience there, because I'm thinking about doing study abroad in japan either next year or the following year. :)

Yeah, I'll definitely be taking a lot of pictures and stuff. I'm probably going to travel to different places almost every weekend so hopefully there'll be a lot of variety. I'll probably post some updates in this thread too. Also, I'm going to try to get better at other bemani games (mostly SDVX) since I'm pretty trash at anything more than 4 key.