Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151943)

roundbox 06-19-2020 02:10 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo

cops had to choose to become cops, though
they did so willingly. it's not like a prescribed job that they just happened to have to enforce certain laws

choof 06-19-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731829)
yeah but i'm not saying that cops aren't shitty i'm saying that what gave them the ability to even be shitty in the first place wasn't their doing

ignoring the obvious "being a cop is a choice" argument, let's also not forget that these politicians are democratically elected. cops have the power of voting too.

Quote:

it's not like someone magically becomes an asshole when they do become a cop or aspire to become one.
anecdotal, but I knew a lot of dudes in the military who'd hit NCO and it'd immediately get to their heads. fortunately tho they'd get stripped of rank pretty quickly if they did some dumb shit. imagine those same kinds of people with legal right to do whatever the fuck they want.

Quote:

america's racist and keeps raising racist people and that won't stop by pointing fingers at cops because every damn institution-- from health care to education to housing-- is racist and became that way through the same mechanisms that brought us our shitty police force
yeah it's yet another issue was gotta solve. there are people fighting for healthcare, education, housing, all that. they're also fighting for police brutality.

Funnygurl555 06-19-2020 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4731830)
cops had to choose to become cops, though
they did so willingly. it's not like a prescribed job that they just happened to have to enforce certain laws

well yeah but what were the conditions that precipitated cops wanting to become cops in the first place?

roundbox 06-19-2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731834)
well yeah but what were the conditions that precipitated cops wanting to become cops in the first place?

being complicit is just as bad
cops are indeed a reflection of society and the laws surrounding it, yes
however, it's the same topic that has already been discussed in the thread: the Nuremberg defense. it's just extending the same terrible, racist laws even more since you're hiring people complicit in enforcing them. not only that, but cops have incentives to enforce such laws as I mentioned before

choof 06-19-2020 03:23 AM

all you gotta do is hop on google and start looking up instance upon instance of "good cops" getting fired, losing their pensions, benefits, all that Good Shit, for lack of complicity.

roundbox 06-19-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731839)
all you gotta do is hop on google and start looking up instance upon instance of "good cops" getting fired, losing their pensions, benefits, all that Good Shit, for lack of complicity.

Sure, but who fired them? It sure wasn't the policy makers.
The system in place is poisonous and attracts poisonous people. People who joined for idealistic and heroic reasons are corrupted by the culture and mentality of their co-workers. Police unions enforce this poisonous mentality by covering things up and telling cops not to snitch on each other.
Policy makers suck too for not reforming this terrible system. Unfortunately, there's plenty of people lobbying for these police reformation laws not to change like the private prison industry. Police unions are also typically against reform laws and send their own lobbyists as well.

mellonxcollie 06-19-2020 10:14 AM

if I am disliked for calling out hypocrisy oh well I guess

inDheart 06-19-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731812)
yeah, i agree with you here. it's just that i've read stuff in the thread where people were blaming cops for enforcing drug laws in the first place

well, they can choose not to. i think it's abundantly clear at this point that next to no one is policing the police

there was a shooting case in my hometown that just wrapped up mysteriously with no drug charges for the convicted shooter, despite it supposedly being the result of a drug deal. he was white and it's a >90% white town where people can't name a nonwhite cop

choof 06-19-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731848)

nice response lol
have you dealt with any serious level of drug addiction bub

mellonxcollie 06-19-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731850)
nice response lol
have you dealt with any serious level of drug addiction bub

only me and all of my immediate family except my brother

I just don't come on FFR and tell my life story and all personal details cause its not relevant

choof 06-19-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731851)
only me and all of my immediate family except my brother

I just don't come on FFR and tell my life story and all personal details cause its not relevant

hmm I think it's kinda fucked up if you're willing to call people crackheads while simultaneously having an immediate family riddled with drug abuse problems
perpetuating the stereotype and all that shit

choof 06-19-2020 10:36 AM

Funnygurl555 06-19-2020 10:42 AM

so the issue wasn't even calling someone a crackhead but using their substance abuse issues as a reason for them not deserving their occupation

in that case, asking for rehabilitation is good but not making derogatory comments about someone's drug habits which only stigmatizes addiction further. and i said this in that thread but instead you stuck your head in the sand and pissed me tf off

and second what does me posting about my life have to do with anything you've said? actually, what does any personal detail about any of our lives have to do with the conversation we were having in thread (aside from the obvious "we live with a racist and corrupt police force" angle)? clearly what you're doing now is insulting me because you both disagree with me and personally dislike me. i think that's out of line

mellonxcollie 06-19-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731854)
and second what does me posting about my life have to do with anything you've said? actually, what does any personal detail about any of our lives have to do with the conversation we were having in thread (aside from the obvious "we live with a racist and corrupt police force" angle)? clearly what you're doing now is insulting me because you both disagree with me and personally dislike me. i think that's out of line

this is derailing the thread and I just made a bitchy comment toward you so idk why choof even cares

but I was just saying the exact same thing you are saying. that even if it didn't personally affect me, it's still morally not right to me that laws target addicts, and that there are people who uphold and defend these laws. I don't need to tell choof "I am an addict and have personal reasons to care" to have this view point. I realize how it came off now and am still slightly drunk from last night so I apologize. I'm not the best at wording my points

choof 06-19-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731855)
this is derailing the thread and I just made a bitchy comment toward you so idk why choof even cares

substance abuse is something a lot of veterans deal with, stereotypes like "crackhead" are one of the reasons why we don't seek help and end up emptying our brains into a bathtub

mellonxcollie 06-19-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731856)
substance abuse is something a lot of veterans deal with, stereotypes like "crackhead" are one of the reasons why we don't seek help and end up emptying our brains into a bathtub

I'm not getting back into this go read the thread in tgb if you care but I was referring to a specific powerful white male politician who personally fucked up the lives of many people including addicts that I personally know irl so take that as you will but anyway I think talking about police brutality is a lot more important than this

choof 06-19-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731857)
I'm not getting back into this go read the thread in tgb if you care but I was referring to a specific powerful white male politician who personally fucked up the lives of many people including addicts that I personally know irl so take that as you will but anyway I think talking about police brutality is a lot more important than this

ah I got it, okay to use loaded terms to describe ppl but only if they're in power
ya you're right this is stupid, anyway uhhh

happy juneteenth ladies and gentlemens

mellonxcollie 06-19-2020 11:28 AM

I never really knew about Juneteenth until a few years ago, we definitely never learned about it in school up here and man wow it's crazy that it was only 1865 when slavery ended in the USA

considering my grandfather was born in 1927 and he is still alive it's really not that hard to see how these racist ideals have been passed down and continue to the present day. it's more recent than it seems when you really think about it that slavery was just a thing that existed

mi40 09-18-2020 02:45 PM

so was it just a fad

yeah it was a fad because as soon as media stopped covering it as much support declines

i love faketivism
let me change my fb picture real quick

mellonxcollie 09-18-2020 02:59 PM

how is something that has already existed for 7 years a fad lol

if it were a person it would already be old enough to have more sense than you