Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

hi19hi19 01-31-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaru (Post 3628742)
division of ffr

1) admins/mods
2) the stepmans ~eLiTe cLuB~ (they usually have orange or black usernames cause they're 2 cool for ffR)
3) ffrians (these guys usually have blue names and come in all shapes and sizes)
4) peoples (these people have blacks names)
5) 1.5 million unused accounts
??) solo ( these guys play with 6 keys :!:)

Stepmania professor right here. lol at #5 because it's true

p.s. "black" usernames are actually dark blue, fuccen stepman racist get out :monkey:

Anaru 02-1-2012 01:07 AM

oh wtf i never knew they were dark blue until now......

hi19hi19 02-1-2012 01:47 AM

#003366 to be specific

00Razor00 02-1-2012 05:11 AM

any ETA on the list of queued files?

MarioNintendo 02-1-2012 05:51 AM

I just re-read my reviews. I agree with most of them, but this one just irks me:

Quote:

Xanthystrauma (MarioNintendo)

6/10 - weak [+.]

- nice buildup at 101.171s
- a bit long, but alright
All in all, the outcome should've been positive based on the notes written. It doesn't help that I have no clue why I lost 4 points. Is it because it was a bit long?... Probably not, as the reviewer said it was alright. Plus, the buildup at 101.171s was nice!

qqwref 02-1-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3628732)
Ffr consists of mostly experienced sm players, yep

Well, the judge list certainly does. I think most super-experienced steppers have spent more time stepping for and playing SM than FFR.

Thing is, Stepmania has a lot more pure JS files than FFR does.

t-rogdor 02-1-2012 10:47 AM

attention CBR:
nobody likes a stargroup
get over yourself
also legitimacy of scores doesn't make kommi's files any less good and lol if you think you're better than someone who's been doing this since like 2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3628937)
Well, the judge list certainly does. I think most super-experienced steppers have spent more time stepping for and playing SM than FFR. Thing is, Stepmania has a lot more pure JS files than FFR does.

Judging for FFR is the same thing as judging for SM. They're literally the same damn game aside from FFR having less features. FFR and SM files all have their ups and downs, and if you think one is inherently better than the other, you're the elitist shit that is keeping this game dead

also who do i have to blow to get myself added to the R1 Simfile Author group already

sticklydude 02-1-2012 11:02 AM

Fixed up some jumps, the end, and that retarded trill and rolls in Punch You.

Re-did the slow middle section with less jumps in Star Wars Anthology.

\o/

Anaru 02-1-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rogdor (Post 3628947)
also who do i have to blow to get myself added to the R1 Simfile Author group already

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=117772

qqwref 02-1-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Judging for FFR is the same thing as judging for SM. They're literally the same damn game aside from FFR having less features. FFR and SM files all have their ups and downs, and if you think one is inherently better than the other, you're the elitist shit that is keeping this game dead

I didn't say one is inherently better, so I dunno how you think what you're saying applies to me. The two games ARE different, though - the main differences (IMO) being that FFR's scoring is combo based and that the available charts in the two games are different (FFR's chart list is fixed and controlled by a central authority, as compared to SM where literally anyone can release a chart and the community decides which packs they care about at any given time). The combo scoring means that we should be less willing to put very hard jacky charts into the game than the ones that exist in SM; the difference in available charts means that we should make an effort to let in more files that represent places where our selection is weak, even if there are plenty of those files available for SM. I think FMO+ jumpstream files is one of the most significant areas where the commonly played FFR and SM song lists differ.

So yeah, judging for FFR and SM are obviously going to be pretty similar. The same basic rules all apply. But if you treat the FFR batch exactly like you'd treat an SM pack, you are going to make some pretty poor decisions on which files to let through and which to reject.

Hateandhatred 02-1-2012 11:43 AM

When will the batch reopen actually?

hi19hi19 02-1-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Judging for FFR is the same thing as judging for SM. They're literally the same damn game aside from FFR having less features.

Nope, try again.
Combo scoring (important consideration), framer gaps (even more important consideration) and most importantly, BOOS

Chord cohesion vs. boos is a HUGE difference between FFR and SM, it's why everyone hates the awkward shit patterns on FFR that are actually not that bad when you play them on SM (when bmah sent me Halcyon I found it a hell of a lot more fun on SM, for example- the transitions are much less of a problem on SM because of chord cohesion, which you can't get away with on FFR)

EDIT- and before anyone jumps down my throat, no I'm not saying Halcyon is a shit file (I love 90% of it), I'm talking about the awkward transitions that I haven't seen a single person say something positive about. you know what I'm talking about, tired of people putting words in my mouth

rushyrulz 02-1-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaru (Post 3628820)
oh wtf i never knew they were dark blue until now......

Anaru 02-1-2012 12:24 PM

it seriously looks black on my screen :(

crank down your contrast and you'll see

t-rogdor 02-1-2012 01:06 PM

qqwref, my apologies. I wasn't trying to suggest you thought that, but needed the quote to make the statement have context. You actually seem like one of the few level-headed judges lmao.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3628961)
Chord cohesion vs. boos is a HUGE difference between FFR and SM, it's why everyone hates the awkward shit patterns on FFR that are actually not that bad when you play them on SM

Shit, that's a good point. I guess a better way of saying it is that the difference between judging for SM and FFR is like Keyboard and Pad; there are a ton of nuances with both, but they boil down to the same game and saying that there's a drastic difference is a bit extreme.

hi19hi19 02-1-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rogdor (Post 3628999)
I guess a better way of saying it is that the difference between judging for SM and FFR is like Keyboard and Pad; there are a ton of nuances with both, but they boil down to the same game and saying that there's a drastic difference is a bit extreme.

Yeah absolutely, they really are quite similar. I was just taking issue with "exactly" the same, no hard feelings <3
But I would hope at least some of the FFR judges would have a grasp of the nuances that make FFR stepping different from SM.
Then again I've been told repeatedly that I am too opinionated so what do I know ._.

t-rogdor 02-1-2012 01:29 PM

Yeah haha, and that was my fault for phrasing it poorly.
I think the majority of them do, it's just really easy to call "W-W-WELL... YOU MAKE FILES FOR SM... YOU... YOU CAN'T HAVE AN OPINION ON MY... M-MY. MY PERFECTLY CONSTRUCTED... FILE YOU... YOU... WORTHLESSSMPLAYERIMGOINGTOKILLYOUINYOURSLEEPHOWDAREYOUINSULTMYFILEYOUDONTKNOWWHATMAKESAGOODFFRFILEYOUSCUMIHATEYOUIHOPEYOUDIEEEEEEE" when someone disagrees with a judgement

i love you 02-1-2012 02:36 PM

To sum it up:

FFR: If a file ends up having framer issues or if it is "too hard" to hit for most people (in other words, if it contains awkward patterns), it is considered to be a BAD file for most people. It seems like nowadays even song choices plays a HUGE role in the FFR community as well. (EX: Long rock songs is considered to be a no-no) That also includes files with a lot of JS, jacks, and non-trillable/hard to trill roll patterns.

SM: A file judged for a stepmania pack is reviewed much more in-depth/strictly compared to files submitted to FFR because of the fact that SM files have more things that they take consider of such as hold usage, mine usage, and empty space. Most files are considered bad/dump on SM if the file contains vibra patterns, if it lacks consistency, if it contains basic errors, if it lacks variety and if the stepping "theory" you used makes the file look really bad (there are too much things to list) Song choice is judged MUCH more lenient on SM compared to FFR and JS files, jacky files and files with rolls/spins are things most people enjoy on SM (which most people on FFR hates more).

Problem for FFR: When you sometimes step files for FFR on stepmania (or ddream), there will be times when the file actually looks really good on stepmania but then when converted to FFR, it turns out being a piece of shit file that most people does not like (which usually causes most people to start hating on the person who stepped the file even though most of the time, it is not even their fault to begin with). This problem is avoidable if the stepper takes the time to convert his/her file into FFR to see how it would look on it but the problem with doing this is that it is more time consuming, there are some people do not know how to convert files, and they are some people (like me) who are too lazy for all that. So pretty much, this problem is unavoidable overall and there is nothing we can do about it unless if it were possible to make a FFR engine that was framer free with a converter that will work with it properly.

Problem for SM: Most files in FFR are basically too watered down for most SM people and so to them, most FFR files are considered bad because of that aspect. They are so used to files being more "full", "complete", and somewhat challenging which is why most SM players who comes to play FFR usually sticks with the harder FFR files more then the easier ones.

EDIT: This is just the way I see it so it is probably save to just not agree with me and argue :3 (I doubt I even made sense LOLOL)

rayword45 02-1-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love you (Post 3629037)
FFR:It seems like nowadays even song choices plays a HUGE role in the FFR community as well. (EX: Long rock songs is considered to be a no-no)

It may just be me, but IMO a judge who even contemplates that for ONE MINUTE should be kicked out and barred from judging songs for a year.

bmah 02-1-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 3629055)
It may just be me, but IMO a judge who even contemplates that for ONE MINUTE should be kicked out and barred from judging songs for a year.

only if the rejection of song choice is due to personal preference

judges may reject the song itself for more objective reasons, such as being overly repetitive that creating an interesting simfile is difficult; that's perfectly reasonable, and is most often the case

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love you (Post 3628351)
As much as I hate to say this, if you guys can not find another reviewer, I will be willing to review for group A. Just send me the batch files by PM so I can get started. It wont take me long.

We're currently trying to see if we can pick out new judges. It sucks to be in such a situation where you're willing to break your own promise of not judging anymore due to a lack of qualified reviewers. I'll contact some other people first before resorting to you. Thanks for the offer.

which means

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00Razor00 (Post 3628876)
any ETA on the list of queued files?

this won't be happening for a while