Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   True Musicians (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=122683)

Bach96 02-18-2012 07:30 PM

True Musicians

Sense this just so happens to be a rather musical site, I was just wondering if anybody other than myself is involved in music outside this site!

I am currently a member of 2 drum corps, a marching band, a winter drumline, all-county (Band and Jazz band), and I'm doing a level 6 NYSSMA solo.

Anybody else out there??

PS: the poll includes a NYSSMA option. I now realize that it is only in NY(duh), choose "none, but interested" as the "other" option please

yo man im awesome 02-18-2012 07:31 PM

Re: True Musicians

I play violin, started playing the guitar, and like to sing when I'm alone :p

Also I'm pretty sure there was a thread for this, but it died out.

Bach96 02-18-2012 07:36 PM

yeah i played violin for a while, but I kinda just stopped at some point.....moved on to other instruments I guess!

yo man im awesome 02-18-2012 07:40 PM

2 things on the poll,

1, I believe you're missing orchestra in there

2, NYSSMA is New York State only I believe.

iironiic 02-18-2012 07:42 PM

NYSSMA is a New York State thing only haha. You should also put other just in case. I also make my own music and sing covers once in a while, learn to play some songs on piano by ear, and I'm planning on taking vocal lessons from a known professional vocalist.

I also play violin for 8 years, but stopped after senior year. I would like to pick it up again just for fun.

I want to learn acoustic too (:

Bach96 02-18-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3640471)
NYSSMA is a New York State thing only haha. You should also put other just in case. I also make my own music and sing covers once in a while, learn to play some songs on piano by ear, and I'm planning on taking vocal lessons from a known professional vocalist.

I also play violin for 8 years, but stopped after senior year. I would like to pick it up again just for fun.

I want to learn acoustic too (:

How do you edit a poll?

iironiic 02-18-2012 08:00 PM

I don't think you can :/

Bach96 02-18-2012 08:00 PM

Gosh that's upsetting.......

iironiic 02-18-2012 08:05 PM

Oh well, I'm sure people will post their musical commitments here in this thread.

Just wondering, where are you located in NY? I'm from the Albany area haha!

zajac 02-18-2012 08:12 PM

I play no instruments, but have been DJing for about 6 years now and am a recording engineer. Also run my own label and am pursuing music production more than ever.

Not a musician in the traditional sense, but I think I still count as a musician ;-)

Bach96 02-18-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3640496)
Oh well, I'm sure people will post their musical commitments here in this thread.

Just wondering, where are you located in NY? I'm from the Albany area haha!

I'm near Syracuse and Skaneatelles Lake. I go to Jordan-Elbridge High School.

midnghtraver 02-18-2012 08:52 PM

I've been playing piano all my life.

I know some violin, and some guitar. And I can pick up an instrument pretty fast.

I'm also really big on digital production like Zajac

Xx{Midnight}xX 02-18-2012 09:18 PM

Calling this thread "True Musicians" is kind of a dick move, the reasoning being is that by saying "outside of the site" you're saying everyone who has music on this site at all isn't a "true musician" which is blatantly [and hilariously] wrong.

I used to play trombone but braces made me stop.

Edit: And yes I realize that wasn't your intent, but just saying.

rushyrulz 02-18-2012 09:44 PM

I play for myself.

Jake Ferguson 02-18-2012 09:48 PM

I was in concert and marching band all 4 years of high school, winter percussion my freshman year (it was the first and last year our school had an ensemble since we were really bad), and this was my first year in the RCC marching band which is pretty freaking awesome, since I was able to be in the rose parade. I don't want to audition for any drum corps yet, but I'll wait a couple years until I'm better at mellophone and try out for one, maybe blue devils? :grin:

sakura080789 02-18-2012 09:56 PM

i make a little ambient from a computer, that is it

PriestREA 02-18-2012 10:52 PM

Currently in a cover band hoping to move into some of our own music. Usually we experiment with some light rock/classic rock songs.

I also sing and play piano in my spare time.
I have a tenor sax lying around, but haven't really approached it since grade 8 school concert band.

twitchywindowbreaker 02-18-2012 11:00 PM

Not Me I tried to Learn Guitar because my father is such a great Musician apparently I didn't inherit his musical talent lol

Mau5 02-19-2012 03:38 AM

Piano, Guitar. What drumcorps are you in?

Bach96 02-19-2012 10:21 AM

In DCA, I'm in the Rochester Empire Statesmen. I'm also in a mini-drum corps called "The Edge." We auditioned for America's Got Talent on the 12th! Don't know if we made it yet.
Haha also couldn't tell you if I knew x)

nois-or-e 02-20-2012 05:49 AM

Started out as a drummer, played in a few metal cover bands in my teen years as a drummer, then as a guitarist. Have since moved o acoustic guitar/bass/vocals with a bit of piano, etc thrown in there.

//singer/songwriter

popsicle_3000 02-20-2012 06:32 AM

I used to be in concert band in high school. and then a community band for a bit in 1st year. i almost did music as my undergrad, but did chemistry instead :P

jakeyjake7 02-20-2012 11:00 AM

Implying that only people who play traditional instruments are true musicians.

Anyway, I'm in around 5 choirs, plus the Florida ACDA All State Choir for 2 years in a row, plus I play piano.

Avery63 02-20-2012 12:40 PM

I do marching band, jazz ensemble, wind ensemble, combo, all that stuff... mainly because I'm required to for my scholarship. I basically work as a performing musician though, I play alto sax. Most of the work I do are jazz gigs but I get called for the occasional church gig and whatnot (gotta take whatever for money ;) ) . Piano is my secondary, and of course doing jazz you have to know your doubles like flute and clarinet.
But hey, I just love making music with other cats out there!

Coolboyrulez0 02-20-2012 01:03 PM

Just me, my computer and my Axiom 49.

Bach96 05-8-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeyjake7 (Post 3641719)
Implying that only people who play traditional instruments are true musicians.

Anyway, I'm in around 5 choirs, plus the Florida ACDA All State Choir for 2 years in a row, plus I play piano.

I included a school chorus option and any band not listed above. For that very reason.

Frank Munoz 05-8-2012 07:08 PM

uhm... I have played in marching band, and concert band, jazz, and a personal band, and a mariachi group. Mariachi is the only one were I have played professionally(for money). I'm still in jazz, mariachi, and concert band. I'm quitting the jazz group though cause it just takes up too much time.
I also just make music like everyone else on Fl or somesmth, but w/e.

My main instrument is Bb Trumpet; I started out with a Bb Cornet but then things just changed. I own uhm...three trumpets, two cornets. Andddd.... two 7C mouth pieces, one 5B Cornet mouth piece, and one 3B trumpet mouth piece. I also have a xaphoon with a plastic reed. but I don't use it locally.

Tidus810 05-8-2012 07:15 PM

I don't do much other than my college's concert band for non-majors, but back in middle/high school I did lots...
Started on french horn, picked up trumpet as well. Did all-county with horn, ac jazz with trumpet. Also did solos throughout middle/high.
Oh, and marching band of course. <3 Did that all 4 years, got asked by a brass tech to go to Blue Stars with her, but I didn't gots enough $$$. :<

I think my best memories though were when I got to play with these chorus groups on two different occasions during high school... Good times. :)

TheSaxRunner05 05-8-2012 10:13 PM

My main instrument is .... well you can guess

FFRGreen 05-9-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 (Post 3689647)
My main instrument is .... well you can guess

Saxophone right?

I am right, right?

3lijah 05-9-2012 07:58 AM

I played the flute in middle school. Im also self taught in guitar, bass guitar and drums. Guitar is my main, ive been playing for about 5 years now. I really want to start up on some projects, but dont know how to get around doing so.

Hateandhatred 05-9-2012 08:16 AM

Played guitar for some years, got involved in some acts. I jam with a friend and play blues stuff once in a while, it's pretty awesome. I'm a metal/shred person at heart though. I'd like to record some melodic death metal with friends soon.

I also happen to sing once in a while, but rarely sang on stage. I used to sing in an old school smooth rock band (like "a perfect circle") when I picked up guitar.

Otherwise I like to jack off with any instrument I can find. Harmonica is pretty awesome lately.

But at the moment, I'm not doing much. I put up a small contest on here regarding guitar, but it died off.