Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pulsen (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=121425)

rayword45 12-4-2011 12:04 PM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Rip Off Game

Reminds me of Mungyodance with the hit-miss judge system.

Remember, since SM is open-source, you can package it in a CD/Download and charge it.

At least it's a superior fork over Step It Up/SM CDs on eBay.

fido123 12-4-2011 03:35 PM

I lookd up the MIT license which is what SM uses and yeah this is legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License
Copyright (C) <year> by <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

Honestly I never really expect people to allow people to sell stuff they've made with a license like that. I assumed pretty much everybody has licensing similar to most open source programs I see with a GPL license, where you can change and distrtribute it just not for money.

Still though why hasn't anybody sued the Jewish DDR though? They're using charts people on this site have made IIRC.

EDIT: Yeah, there was a lot of outrage here: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...=117619&page=1
Honestly why hasn't anybody sued these guys yet?

Tyson ultima 12-4-2011 04:07 PM

Well it kind of is a double edged sword because most songs for ITG rebirth people weren't liscenced to use either way. Only problem with Step it up was if the jewish authors were to say that those songs had to be removed.

fido123 12-4-2011 04:09 PM

If you bought an albulm, and make a stepchart for it, that's legal as far as I know. I don't know much about law but at the very least it's plain wrong to take somebody elses work (stepchart) and call it your own.

leonid 12-4-2011 04:44 PM

They are selling the songs and charts not the stepmania engine aren't they
Actually that's how it should be like. We are actually supposed to pay for all the licensed songs in our song folder otherwise it's illegal

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 05:37 PM

Hi everyone, glad to see people here so energetic about Pulsen and other rhythm games.

Upon reading this thread, there appears to be a bit of confusion about Pulsen. Some of that was already cleared up it seems, but if you have any more questions you'd like answered, I'd be more than happy to answer them for you!

Choofers 12-4-2011 05:50 PM

I don't understand why you would make Pulsen. Stepmania.com has the StepMix comp every year, and there are literally over 10000 files out there that people can download, of varying difficulty levels.

justin_ator 12-4-2011 06:02 PM

^^^

I just don't see the advantages of Pulsen

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:05 PM

The only advantage to Pulsen would be to cater to the new players so when they master all of these charts, they can come to SM or FFR.

fido123 12-4-2011 06:08 PM

I think the main thing about Pulsen is they're going to have a story mode and a bunch of additional stuff.

Wolfman2000 12-4-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583535)
I don't understand why you would make Pulsen. Stepmania.com has the StepMix comp every year, and there are literally over 10000 files out there that people can download, of varying difficulty levels.

First, StepMix has not been every year. The last StepMix took almost two years due to various issues.

Second, StepMix's quality is inconsistent. The main rules are that people get permission from an artist to use their music, make their own graphic or get someone's assistance on that, and make a minimum set of charts. As long as there are no violations on those, any chart can be accepted. As someone that has judged at least three of the StepMix competitions, I can assure you that not everyone knows how to make great pad charts. This past StepMix was...well, one of the hardest ones I ever had to judge.

As far as the other thousands of files out there, one important fact must be remembered. Not all of them are meant for public consumption or distribution. Many of them are technically illegal for downloading and using in public. Furthermore, the quality control, or lack thereof, are perhaps worse in an unorganized area. These files could come from anywhere, and you wouldn't know about its quality without either trying it yourself or getting opinions about it.

I have made a number of charts for Pulsen. Some of them were rejected due to either not being fun or not feeling like it was the right difficulty. Quality is something that is taken very seriously with the Pulsen chart artists. We don't want crap to come out. If it makes you feel better, the main team comprises of chart artists that have mostly worked on other known packs in the past. We are not made up of unknown people.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman2000 (Post 3583557)
First, StepMix has not been every year. The last StepMix took almost two years due to various issues.

rip

Quote:

Second, StepMix's quality is inconsistent. The main rules are that people get permission from an artist to use their music, make their own graphic or get someone's assistance on that, and make a minimum set of charts. As long as there are no violations on those, any chart can be accepted. As someone that has judged at least three of the StepMix competitions, I can assure you that not everyone knows how to make great pad charts. This past StepMix was...well, one of the hardest ones I ever had to judge.
Quality is totally subjective to a new player (and to some better players (hi dossar)). Granted, some of the files are really bad, but at least they're free.

Quote:

As far as the other thousands of files out there, one important fact must be remembered. Not all of them are meant for public consumption or distribution. Many of them are technically illegal for downloading and using in public. Furthermore, the quality control, or lack thereof, are perhaps worse in an unorganized area. These files could come from anywhere, and you wouldn't know about its quality without either trying it yourself or getting opinions about it.
Check out FFR Seasons Packs, those are very good packs and are slowly getting to the point where multiple difficulties are required (with very few exceptions).

Quote:

I have made a number of charts for Pulsen. Some of them were rejected due to either not being fun or not feeling like it was the right difficulty. Quality is something that is taken very seriously with the Pulsen chart artists. We don't want crap to come out. If it makes you feel better, the main team comprises of chart artists that have mostly worked on other known packs in the past. We are not made up of unknown people.
Who else has made charts? I haven't heard your username at all.

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583565)
Who else has made charts? I haven't heard your username at all.

http://pulsengame.com/?credits

Probably because using real names instead of online ones makes it harder to associate people with their works, but some notable packs are Foonmix, DWI Extreme, Dancing Wipeout, Albumix, Vocaloid Party, ATC Makoto, ITG Edits, and others.

I'd personally consider their work in Pulsen some of the best charts they've ever produced. Talking to them for years, it's great to see them produce something truly special.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

only 7 simfile artists?
where do I apply to be an intern

TC_Halogen 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

for those of you questioning the chart quality, realize the Pulsen is pad-play oriented for most of their charts. Granted, while a few charts could use some work, none of them are really bad.

This is making me want to go and work on my latest ITG doubles chart that uses something that the ITG community hates...CROSSOVERS!!!!!!!11one1~1

Wolfman2000 12-4-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3583575)
some notable packs are Foonmix, DWI Extreme, Dancing Wipeout, Albumix, Vocaloid Party, ATC Makoto, ITG Edits, and others.

I prefer to be associated with Pump Pro Edits, thanks. ;)

Well, at this point I don't care about real names vs stage names.

I'm Jason Felds.

Choofers 12-4-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3583580)
This is making me want to go and work on my latest ITG doubles chart that uses something that the ITG community hates...CROSSOVERS!!!!!!!11one1~1

GG_Halogen

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583535)

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 3583539)
^^^

I just don't see the advantages of Pulsen

The reason is because people want different things. While StepMania exists, the older preferred platform was Dance With Intensity. A lot of people liked In The Groove and Dance Dance Revolution and both of them co-existed alongside StepMania and Dance With Intensity.

Pulsen is designed to be an all-in-one solution that just works. StepMania isn't necessarily the easiest thing to setup, use, or find good content for. There's quite a few differences that come from commercial products and a level of quality that is required to uphold especially when your competition is free.

For instance, if you want a new feature in Pulsen, chances are you'll see in there fairly quickly so long as you inform one of us. Found a bug? We'll probably put out a fix for it within the next few days. When you pay us for something, we care about how happy you are with the final product.

In fact, I haven’t heard a customer complain about Pulsen’s Ultra I DLC pack so it’s only reasonable to assume people just need to play it to really figure out what it’s all about.

How about this. If you can put every chart designer credited with a pack they’re well-known for first, I’ll give you a free copy of Pulsen: Ultra I.

• Alex Kim
• Jason Felds
• Kévin Dendayne
• Nick Navaroli
• Sta Kousin
• Steve Nera
• Terrence Chan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman2000 (Post 3583581)
I prefer to be associated with Pump Pro Edits, thanks. ;)

... Thanks Jason, haha. That's one down, you guys can have fun with the rest.

TC_Halogen 12-4-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583583)
GG_Halogen

now I have to rip your ****ing balls off in public.

seriously though, I'm all for open source games that try to go the extra mile. Mungyodance was all the hype when it came out, and I wouldn't mind seeing this go anywhere.

speaking of which, Renard owes me some sort of apology for not putting my chart for Palindrome in the game being that it won 3rd in the stepcharting contest. meh.

Is Pulsen looking for anymore simfile artists? I've always been interested in charting for an actual project and I'm proficient in ITG/PIU singles and doubles charting, haha.

Saturn2888 12-4-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3583548)
I think the main thing about Pulsen is they're going to have a story mode and a bunch of additional stuff.

Ah yes, you're correct. A lot of stuff is in the works so we don't have much to show at this point, but the game only came out in October and there's plenty of new stuff floating around in our test builds.