Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to get better at FFR (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=94323)

lxDestinyxl 06-13-2008 09:40 AM

How to get better at FFR

Like most individuals, nobody is good at a game without practice and experience.

Even so, these two by themselves do not complete the picture. What is also necessary, is a word of advice from peers furthermore experienced than oneself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

How to get better at FFR!

This is just a guideline created to possibly increase your chances of success on FFR. It is your decision to follow this guide or not.

Keep in mind that not everyone can be the best. There are people who will be better than others, and those who fall behind.

1. You MUST be comfortable with you're finger style. Your finger style is the allocation of your hand in regards to pressing the four keys.
The following graphics shows examples of different methods in which to play FFR.

Spread

This is the most popular style among the FFR community. In this particular image, Left and Down are used for a and s, while Up and Right are used for k and l. Many people use this key configuration, allowing minimum hand-to-hand inteference during gameplay, and comfortable playing.

Refer to my FAQ to learn about key configuration.

Index

The index style consists of both index fingers switching between four keys.
For this reason, it is difficult to play songs consisting of Jumpstreams and patterns which include Jumps.

One Hand

A relatively common style among the FFR community.
This finger style normally occurs for first time FFR players. One hand doesn't just mean three fingers; it can also mean four fingers, or even a two finger approach. One finger is impractical.

Keep in mind of the fact that this style, just like index, comes with small disadvantages such as complex patterns and speed.

Other

It is very pointless to list all other styles I know. The ones I have listed are widely known and used, as well as preferred by a vast majority of users. I personally do not use any of these styles. If you prefer a style of your own choice, go for it!

2. Choose your in-game scroll direction. You can find all the information you will need about scroll directions here. The majority of FFR players stick to default selection known as Standard-scroll. Another popular scroll direction is known as the Reverse-scroll.

Unless you are going unique and selecting a different scroll, compare the two and choose whatever suits your taste.

3. Choose your speedmod! This modifies the rate at which the arrows scroll during game play.
The default setting is set to 1x, with other available options to select from: 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x and 3x. By selecting 1.5x, the arrows' scroll rate will be 1.5 times faster than the default of 1x. While having the arrows moving faster might not seem like an advantage at first, with a faster speed, the arrows are spaced out further so the patterns still remain in sync with the music. This extra space allows most players to recognise patterns of close arrows better and usually improves in-game performance.

Experiment with the speed settings to find one that works best for you!

As a note, the speedmods may not work for you. By restoring the size of your window, you will have less arrows on the screen at any given time, allowing you to focus on the current patterns. This will reduce the amount of confusion among the incoming arrows. This is known as Screen-cutting. It works on a similar principle to that of Speedmods. The higher the speedmod, the less arrows on the screen. When FFR was in it's early stages of development, this method was necessary. Speed mods didn't exist on FFR. In the case that Screen-cutting really does work for you, use it.

For lazy people:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 2210614)
Speed mods = Adjustment of the amount of arrows on the screen + interval of arrows.
Screen cut = Adjustment of the amount of arrows on the screen.

You can use both at the same time.

The Secret?

4. In my years of FFR, I couldn't avoid the fact that I was getting better. As time passed, I noticed that my speed was improving, along with my accuracy and reading skills. Of course, for some people it is not that straightforward.

What I, and a countless number of people would suggest to you, is PRACTICE.

This thread wasn't created so I could just say that. Anyone can tell you that.
The difference between them and what you are reading now, is that I have created a foundation to begin your practice. I have geared you up to be able to play FFR at your peak.

With practice, at the end of the day, you will always be that little bit better. That's what counts.

Something to share.

From my experience, I have accumulated some useful tips which may help you.

Destiny's Tip #1

Sometimes it's not that easy reading some complex patterns on FFR. If you are having repeat difficulties on a certain section of a song, take a screenshot. Open up MS Paint, and press Ctrl+V. From here, you can closely inspect each arrow and rhythmic value, or even practice on your table before you play.

Eg.

Destiny's Tip #2

You may well and truly be able to AAA a particular song, if it wasn't for one or two patterns. My Step #1 will only help to an extent. In these situations, it may be possible to change styles during gameplay. I know it sounds absurd, but it works.

Eg.

For example, a spread player may have difficulty on this type of trill. He or she is then able to change his or her to semi-index, Left middle finger on the Left arrow key, and Right index finger on the Down arrow key. You might have noticed that the ASKL set-up would NOT work here.

Destiny's Tip #3

Play harder songs!

Secluding yourself to one difficulty will not make you significantly better. You must keep pushing yourself on. Take on the next difficulty, or beyond. As the difficulty of songs increase, it will test all your techniques and skills to the limit. Speed will be faster, and notes will be harder to read; more jumps will occur and a larger range of rhythmic values will occur.

In short, playing songs more complex than the difficulty you continue to play, and knowing the possibility of how hard songs can get, will make you better. Who knows, you might surprise yourself; you might even be able to play songs requiring a much higher standard of skill!

Destiny's Final Tip

Have a goal. Seriously, set yourself a target. When I achieved my first few AAAs, I decided to test my abilities. I set myself several goals; reach 50 AAAs, beat my rival in Multiplayer and Full Combo a Very Challenging song.

Without setting a goal, you have less potential to become successful, and a less interested feel to the game.

To this day, I am still setting myself goals to achieve. You will have a better advantage if you have a person you know to play with. Maybe you can try to out-do each other.
So basically, put yourself to the test and see how far you can go.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's about it. If you have any questions regarding this topic, or if you would like to know more of my FFR tips, post in this thread or give me a shout through a Private Message. I'm also available on AIM Messenger.

AIM: FFR Destiny
MSN: Destiny_Lives_On@Hotmail.com

Happy FFR'ing,
Destiny

Breakdown16 06-13-2008 06:39 PM

Re: How to get better at FFR

Are you going to mention screencut?

lxDestinyxl 06-13-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown16 (Post 2210537)
Are you going to mention screencut?

I'll mention that Screencut is an option, but I'd advise not to do so.

jimerax 06-13-2008 07:49 PM

speed mods = adjustment of the amount of arrows in the screen + interval of arrows
screen cut = adjustment of the amount of arrows in the screen

and you can use both at the same time.

Dominewyorican 06-13-2008 08:29 PM

Goals work great. I'm constantly setting up goals for myself to keep me on track. Either keep a reminder in your sig or on your profile. I do both to remember :D

rzr 06-13-2008 09:18 PM

Screen Cutting isn't even worth mentioning. Unless you set the arrows up, you're screwed. Like me.

lxDestinyxl 06-13-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzr (Post 2210746)
Screen Cutting isn't even worth mentioning. Unless you set the arrows up, you're screwed. Like me.

I use screen cuts. Some people still do. It's worth mentioning, but it might not be worth putting it to practice. I still do, and it helps me. I'm not use to 1.5x, nor 1.25x. I'd like it to be somewhere in between.

rzr 06-13-2008 09:39 PM

I use x1.75, arrows down, 3 finger. Screen Cuts don't work. They screw it up. I agree, they're worth mentioning, but not recommending.

Dominewyorican 06-13-2008 09:43 PM

My cousin plays screen cut, 1.0 usually 3 finger but now working on spread and he does pretty good on hard songs. I think screen cut works...but new folks should try speed mods first. I tried screen cutting when he introduced me to it but I felt like it was a suspense movie gone bad. Had to use the speed mods instead lol.

rzr 06-13-2008 09:48 PM

Ugh. I need to learn spread, really bad.

XxXMetalheadXxX 06-13-2008 10:21 PM

Yeah I'm with rzr, I need to learn spread. I play FFR with the style base of one hand.

StepmaniaGod6969 06-14-2008 01:09 AM

nice thread but you should put the 3 finger style up there

lxDestinyxl 06-14-2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StepmaniaGod6969 (Post 2211047)
nice thread but you should put the 3 finger style up there

If you are referring to three fingers one hand, it's already up there. If you're referring to three finger spread or whatever, it will be classified in the 'Other' section.

StepmaniaGod6969 06-14-2008 01:19 AM

not one hand or 3 finger spread

left index and right index and middle on arrows

jimerax 06-14-2008 03:44 AM

Haha nice quote.

Screen cut is worth mentioning because there're not many options for speedmods on FFR. There're only 1.0x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2.0x and 3.0x, so screen cut is useful for small adjustment.

For example if you want a mod like 2.25x, 2.0x + screencut pretty much works.

wargasm1 06-15-2008 03:59 PM

nice guide now i know i want AAA on death piano. realistic goal.

Master TAnK Evans 06-15-2008 04:42 PM

good job destiny that is very good to know

Excalibur35 06-22-2008 07:26 PM

just practice practice and practice it happens to every1

EtherCloud 06-23-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur35 (Post 2239148)
just practice practice and practice it happens to every1

start small work your way up you'll be nerfing 10-12 footers in no time my secret is i custom set up my keys d <-, f V, j^,k-> i even made them the home row keys same as typing:P some may vouch for cmods but if you can get used to the slower bpms with lots of notes itll help you read the heavy notes later on with high speed mods another thing set your L to left trust me you can then use both middle fingers to take down the nasty left down left down left down....another thing dont play on ffr to learn its totally misjudges the steps its way to easy try it on stepmania where it judges your taps for real.

Master TAnK Evans 06-24-2008 03:21 PM

maybe getting some friendly competition might help?