Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thoughts/stuff (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149326)

blanky! 06-27-2018 09:02 PM

Thoughts/stuff

As someone who appreciated viewing the discussion going down in "Transgender AMA" and "MinaciousGrace quotes", I feel the need to comment on something.

I see a lot of "lazy", one-liner posts here, and I am in no way placing myself above this. I've definitely spammed before. But I think that this has to do with the fact that FFR self-selects for those who have a low attention span, especially as one moves into the higher ranks. And that's why it's such a gem when someone posts something provocative -- something that'll lead to more points being discussed and just overall some very insightful material.

Kudos to all of you who do post and try to reason out points; it'll help you in the long run. Not that it's guaranteed. Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.

Funnygurl555 06-27-2018 09:04 PM

Re: Thoughts/stuff

BLANKYYYY

haha sorry im part of the problem :P

Mahou 06-27-2018 09:15 PM

yeah I can somewhat see that,
but I never really saw some sort of correlation between higher ranking players and low attention span; for example, sk8er isn't a high rank player and his posts really lack quality/thought

i would post more often and say more words, but I do feel like sometimes my place in this community doesn't stand out as much because of the lack of common interests; i'm trying to reach out...but it is pretty hard sometimes.

dadcop2 06-27-2018 09:46 PM

here you go
two lines

Spenner 06-27-2018 09:48 PM

I think a lot of people post like they're using discord. Maybe that's just their general posting style, but I feel like being in a chat environment might condition certain people to become like that.

I've always thought that shitposting is something I could never do, because I value my time, and I value the fact that other people are going to read my messages. I try to make them meaningful, because I don't like wasting other people's time.

I stop a lot of my posts from happening because I have this extra layer, a filter, that decides whether something is worth making real. I actually have a problem because nothing that I end up posting is really worth it by my standards, but alas I am a neurotic mess :D

Spenner 06-27-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadcop2 (Post 4625221)
I have no problem with minimalism. I think there's a definite difference between people who are being lazy, and people who are making statements.

bmah 06-28-2018 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blanky! (Post 4625214)
I see a lot of "lazy", one-liner posts here, and I am in no way placing myself above this. I've definitely spammed before. But I think that this has to do with the fact that FFR self-selects for those who have a low attention span, especially as one moves into the higher ranks.

I see what you're saying, but I don't see any correlation of an individual's status to his or her attention span. One-liners are for those who either do not care to elaborate/explain/dig deeper or may simply feel that there's not much that needs to be said for conciseness's sake - those scenarios can apply to anyone.

For those aforementioned threads, I think it's worth noting that the atmosphere wasn't always exactly inviting to prompt productive conversation; it often promoted confrontation instead. So I'd forgive those who didn't feel like engaging with a particular individual that they would feel uncomfortable with.

Quote:

Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.

Yes, that's one way of seeing it. However, another way is that a lurker is merely a listener, not necessarily an evader of criticism. And it's always good to shut up and listen.

SKG_Scintill 06-28-2018 05:15 AM

this is a forum for a rhythm game
why do you expect conversations at the local swimming pool as deep as the pool

DaBackpack 06-28-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Kudos to all of you who do post and try to reason out points; it'll help you in the long run. Not that it's guaranteed. Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.

Users have no obligation to engage with others on these forums. This environment is a hobby, a pastime, not a place where people are expected to confront their own personal shortcomings or lack of dialectic skill.

With this in mind, it's not at all reliable to make sweeping generalizations about users' character or argumentative abilities based on their regular posting style (or lack thereof). Not everybody has to be analytical all the time.

And, honestly, if you're looking to maximize "getting better at arguing", FFR is the absolute last place I would look to do that

Charu 06-28-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4625240)
And, honestly, if you're looking to maximize "getting better at arguing", FFR is the absolute last place I would look to do that

If you play a little fun forum game called "The Werewolf Game" on FlashFlashRevolution.com...

Also, for me, I don't like doing long posts. I'm that dude that chills out in the back, makes a comment or two, and then proceeds to make things fun for themselves.

Ain't no point going in deep conversation land unless you really really feel the need to share your absolute opinion/thoughts/believes/{insert self reflection here}. Part of it has to do that I'm actually quite the private person (as hard as that may be to be believed). I don't go around sprouting what my personal vendettas and my views of the world to passerby's. There's simply no need to unless you're in the moment or with a group of friends you trust 90% (probably higher) that wouldn't judge or think differently.

Plus, it saves a headache trying to debate. Don't much care for debating (Unless it's TWG I guess, lmao) unless I got evidence to back it up and not just personal opinions.

choof 06-28-2018 08:22 AM

tldr

andy-o24 06-28-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4625239)
this is a forum for a rhythm game
why do you expect conversations at the local swimming pool as deep as the pool

We're the kiddie pool here in chit chat.

-o24

mellonxcollie 06-28-2018 09:33 AM

Even in TWG half the players can't be bothered to read every word of the wall posts.

Just because a post has a lot of words that doesn't make it a good post. The reality is that sometimes posters are not on the right track, rambling, or people simply don't care about that topic. Long drawn out posts can also derail threads by bringing up things nobody had been talking about up until then.

Some people are even particularly skilled at making their points very concise and that can take a lot of thought and isn't "lazy" at all.

SK8R43 06-28-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4625217)
yeah I can somewhat see that,
but I never really saw some sort of correlation between higher ranking players and low attention span; for instance; for example, sk8er isn't a high rank player and his posts really lack quality/thought

i would post more often and say more words, but I do feel like sometimes my place in this community doesn't stand out as much because of the lack of common interests; i'm trying to reach out...but it is pretty hard sometimes.

Because i dont really care about this website anymore. I put all of my time into working my ass off, bmxing, and skateboarding. Couldnt really care less about thinking before i write things on here or how long they are. I write paragraphs on facebook, but on here who really cares. lol

Charu 06-28-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4625272)
Because i dont really care about this website anymore.

Yet you still go here by typing/clicking/<whatever your method of getting here>?

Dohoho

choof 06-28-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4625272)
Because i dont really care about this website anymore. I put all of my time into working my ass off, bmxing, and skateboarding. Couldnt really care less about thinking before i write things on here or how long they are. I write paragraphs on facebook, but on here who really cares. lol

if this is the case then you haven't cared about this website since january of 2008
which makes me wonder why you even signed up in the first place

SK8R43 06-28-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4625275)
if this is the case then you haven't cared about this website since january of 2008
which makes me wonder why you even signed up in the first place

Actually no. My gt wouldnt be so high if i always hated this website.

komochii 06-28-2018 10:24 AM

In his defence maybe he doesn't want to be professional all day at work then come home and act professional online like l0l fuk that I ain't got nothing to prove to yall

blanky! 06-28-2018 11:21 AM

I didn't make the wording in "higher-ranked players" clear enough. I don't mean the difference between D5/6/7. I mean the difference between D1 and D2+. (I have in mind a graph somewhere that depicted the distribution of skill level.) Because the D2+ players are the ones who are, more often than not, the ones interested in the game, it self-selects for those with low attention span.

I'd say that FFR has, at least in my case, been a place to get better at arguments. For everyone, actually. TWG is one example. Another example is Critical Thinking. A lot of posts have substance, even though they're outnumbered by the one's that don't. And that's not anyone's prerogative, but it's something I've noticed within the culture that's kinda led me away from FFR.

MinaciousGrace 06-28-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4625261)
Just because a post has a lot of words that doesn't make it a good post. The reality is that sometimes posters are not on the right track, rambling, or people simply don't care about that topic. Long drawn out posts can also derail threads by bringing up things nobody had been talking about up until then.

Some people are even particularly skilled at making their points very concise and that can take a lot of thought and isn't "lazy" at all.

you can be skilled at making a thoughtful, concise point that is both stupid and incorrect

then you can defend it with more of the same in the face of opposition, which makes you stupid