Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Spritz (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=143970)

leonid 02-24-2016 10:37 PM

Spritz

I think this is pretty cool. Thoughts?

PhantomPuppy 02-24-2016 10:40 PM

Re: Spritz

this is pretty cool, but it started going too fast for comfort lol. if it just kept around 250-275 i'd be fine with it :P

MinaciousGrace 02-24-2016 10:40 PM

but i spent years learning to speed read already why couldnt someone have done this a decade ago

MinaciousGrace 02-24-2016 10:42 PM

though to be fair i absorb far more information at a far greater rate than this would allow so i guess it's already been obsoleted in my case

MinaciousGrace 02-24-2016 10:42 PM

also i dont own a phone so whatever

DarknessXoXLight 02-24-2016 10:48 PM

I can get the point of whatever sentence is being flashed at 300 wpm but it's not comfortable at all and my eyes kinda hurt now lel. Cute concept tho.

Cavernio 02-25-2016 10:36 AM

They need to keep the longer words on the screen for longer in comparison to shorter words, or put like, prepositions and such on the ends of other words. They also need to keep words up for longer sometimes depending where it lies in the sentence, like when you would otherwise have a comma actually put in a longer pause of time.

I never thought of it before really, but from reading spritzed words for such a long time it's clear that I spend more or less time on different words, and that the even keel reading speed of spritz feels clunky. Although if I got used to reading words spritzed i would probably get used to it and perhaps would start to read regular chunks of text much more evenly.

However one thing I HAVE thought about before is that how, when I'm reading I'm actually putting an audio version of the words into my head, so I'm applying speech patterns of timing and high and low pitches etc to all the words that I read. I think that many people who are super fast readers actually skip this auditory parsing of the visual material. So for me to speed up and slow down the words based on how one would parse them in speech would be mandatory.

shenjoku 02-25-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 4411120)
my eyes kinda hurt now lel. Cute concept tho.

Pretty much this. I don't know when to blink to keep up with it, and how would you ever be able to go back and re-read something or save your place? That seems like you have to read the whole thing in one go or you're screwed, which kinda sucks. I supposed it would have it's uses though.

leonid 02-25-2016 12:36 PM

The guys say it has controllers to let you pause or rewind. I could sort of read through 700 wpm speed which I'm nowhere near at all simply reading the normal way.

Izzy 02-25-2016 12:51 PM

I can see how this has its uses, but I would want to gouge my eyeballs out reading a 500 page book like this.

shenjoku 02-25-2016 01:36 PM

Yeah, I really wonder how bad/good this is for your eyes for extended periods of intense reading. Seems like you have to focus really hard to take it all in, but maybe that's only until you get used to it?

botchi246 02-25-2016 01:42 PM

I was able to read it normally at every speed they did. Then again, i do read a fricken ton and can get through an 800pg book in a few hours.

Rapta 02-25-2016 01:44 PM

Brilliant concept.

I never read books. I read 300 wpm fine

PhantomPuppy 02-25-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 4411182)
Many words about stuff.

i do agree with what you said about having it pause at commas/periods for more flow and emphasis, and how it should slow down by maybe 10-20 wpm on longer words. idk, its still very new, and will definitely have a few things that need to be fixed. still think its a good idea though, especially for phones.

kommisar 02-25-2016 04:43 PM

great concept, bad for people too lazy to go through an entire article.

I just look for key words in some reports or new articles to get whatever info I need. I don't care for in depth details unless it's really interesting

Spenner 02-25-2016 07:06 PM

I too could handle fast paced word flashing and keeping it all strung together, quite easily. Pretty cool, like a zoetrope for a page of type.

The only thing that could be improved upon a great deal is the pace at which or perhaps some subtle transition just to demonstrate the character of the words, which contextually get kind of lost. What I mean to say is, all of it sounds like a text-to-speech reader in my head.

gold stinger 02-25-2016 07:24 PM

I can actively speed read everything I read on the internet, including everyone's comments in this thread, but it sounds nicer to myself if I slow down and add necessary emphasis in my head to things said in sentences, to make it sound like what was said carries more weight.

Cavernio 02-26-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenner (Post 4411254)
I too could handle fast paced word flashing and keeping it all strung together, quite easily. Pretty cool, like a zoetrope for a page of type.

The only thing that could be improved upon a great deal is the pace at which or perhaps some subtle transition just to demonstrate the character of the words, which contextually get kind of lost. What I mean to say is, all of it sounds like a text-to-speech reader in my head.

Yes I think what I was talking about would address the 'text-to-speech' reader problem even though I didn't have that issue.