Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Steer clear of Skype. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=133345)

igotrhythm 11-22-2013 02:42 PM

Steer clear of Skype.

http://www.ericmartindale.com/2013/0...ouldnt-either/

A good friend of mine posted this on his personal corner of the interblag, so I thought I'd pass this along. It even lists alternatives. (As for my experience, all I can say is Skype spiked my CPU to 100% for the last goddamn time, so I moved to Trillian. Don't worry, it still talks with Skype, but I'm willing to pass on the video and group calls.)

Pseudo Enigma 11-22-2013 02:47 PM

Re: Steer clear of Skype.

Just what could it be sending? Even then I don't give enough fucks to stop using Skype.

r 11-22-2013 02:56 PM

it's sending cp.

cedolad 11-22-2013 02:57 PM

shouldn't have added me on skype then

Izzy 11-22-2013 02:57 PM

Don't you need to have skype installed and running to use the skype plugin on Trillian? It really wouldn't make any difference at that point.

m0de 11-22-2013 03:00 PM

I think this is relevant:

Arntonach 11-22-2013 03:44 PM

Yeah my phone has crashed several times before just from trying to run skype and the internet at the same time. And sometimes it just crashed running all on it's own cause my phone doesn't have the processing power of god. But skype is everywhere, so it's like I can't not use it. :<

Wafles 11-22-2013 03:47 PM

A few people being paranoid about ongoing active connections in a peer to peer IM/VOIP system is a concern?

This is hilarious. No one is going to give a shit about this, as all it really amounts to is a conspiracy theory.

reuben_tate 11-22-2013 03:56 PM

Chances are what happens in the background, i.e. how the data is stored, manipulated, loaded, displayed, synced, etc, is probably something that's "old" and needs an overhaul or some rethinking. For me, my facebook chats are much more fluid and less rage inducing than Skype. Also, getting things to sync across multiple devices is a nightmare for Skype. I'd switch to something else but so many people I know use it...

Izzy 11-22-2013 04:04 PM

You might already be using this thing called "Windows". You'd be fucked either way if microsoft was trying to spy on you.

My skype syncs perfectly between my phone, tablet and computer by the way. I'm not vouching for the it or bashing it, just making an observation.

arcnmx 11-22-2013 04:29 PM

Yeah, Trillian or anything else still has to use Skype itself in the background - it's just not using the graphical interface. It's also a proprietary closed-source client, I see no reason to trust it any more than Skype. In the end you just can't expect privacy from a third party service anyway.

choof 11-22-2013 04:40 PM

wait so we should be concerned that a program that requires internet connectivity has constant internet connectivity

Pseudo Enigma 11-22-2013 05:19 PM

I just don't get it. Why are people so afraid to have outsiders know what's on their computers?
Quote:

Oh look, pseudo is into asians, let's put up more asian advertising around him
doesn't sound like a bad thing to me???

L.B.D.D 11-22-2013 05:21 PM

ur not even real asian get the fuk out

Fission 11-22-2013 05:29 PM

he said he was into asians, not that he was asian ????

in response to the OP, i'm almost positive most of the software you are using isn't open source so you might as well steer clear of all of that too since it could be an avenue of privacy violation just as easily

V-Ormix 11-22-2013 05:39 PM

but skype makes smo amazing, I cant uninstall :C I'll feel sorry about it later :P

Frank Munoz 11-22-2013 05:49 PM

?????

Pseudo Enigma 11-22-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fission (Post 4029535)
he said he was into asians, not that he was asian ????

I'm not...actually...into asians at all. JUS' SAYIN.
tho thanks bro

L.B.D.D 11-22-2013 06:56 PM

all ur avatars are made in japan

Pseudo Enigma 11-22-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.B.D.D (Post 4029577)
all ur avatars are made in japan

2d>3d