Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anime North (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=117533)

Hurleyisgod 02-20-2011 10:06 PM

Anime North

ok so. I've heard of anime north, but ive never gone. for those who dont know, its in toronto on may 27-29.

Im a newb when it comes to conventions, ive never been to any. I really want to go to anime north this year though, but i know next to nothing about it. so if anyone has any tips or even super awesome stories from when they went to something like this, feel free to let me know/post.

P.S. is anyone else going? o.o it would be awesome to meet up and do shit, cause i doubt id be going with any of my friends (they arent into this stuff at all)

Xiaounlimited 02-20-2011 10:08 PM

Re: Anime North

I'm going, Gundam-Dude is going, Gpop (ddr_f4n) is going, Kommisar and his girlfriend, maybe Kory is coming.

There are a few other FFRers going. I'm rooming with GD and Kommi.

If you've never gone to a con, it might be a bit boring. Check the schedule supplied with admission and check out as many things as you can. Soak in as much as possible.

ddr_f4n 02-20-2011 10:09 PM

TOUHOU PANEL

DDR ROOM

That is all

(PS: If you ever have nothing to do just go to the DDR room and hang there Kommi will be there 24/7 lol)
(PSS: Touhou panel is only because I'm hosting and shit)

Gundam-Dude 02-20-2011 10:10 PM

Gpop has said it all.

Xiaounlimited 02-20-2011 10:11 PM

Chris better not ****ing wear that thing again

Gundam-Dude 02-20-2011 10:15 PM

He said he's bringing it again.

ddr_f4n 02-20-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 3421013)
He said he's bringing it again.

Gotta be a vocaloid panel is there gonna be a vocaloid panel I dunno I gotta check if there's gonna be a vocaloid panel :V

cixOclock 02-20-2011 10:19 PM

Personally I'm going to Dragon*con here in GA sometime in Spetember... I never really paid attention to the dates...

Besides, France is too far away...

ddr_f4n 02-20-2011 10:21 PM

One more thing this is pretty much the Toronto/GTA yearly-meetup. If you missed the last one this is the best chance since it's three days long and stuff. Good place to hang while playing DDR and crap.

who_cares973 02-20-2011 10:26 PM

dont remind me that i wont be able to go ;__________;

t-rogdor 02-21-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3421022)
dont remind me that i wont be able to go ;__________;

me too ;-;

Tokzic 02-21-2011 02:51 AM

hahaha suckers i'm going

Duplica 02-21-2011 05:53 AM

I'd go if I wasn't in school ._.

ddr_f4n 02-21-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duplica (Post 3421142)
I'd go if I wasn't in school ._.

It's a weekend, and Friday after school. Unless you'll get a crapload of work or tests to study on you should be able to go :P

Duplica 02-21-2011 09:15 AM

it's like a 4 hour drive though. not sure if I'd make it, but that all depends on work and stuff.

kommisar 02-21-2011 11:05 AM

yep I'm goin. hopefully synexi too

remedy1502 02-21-2011 11:58 AM

I'm going too, cool.

vro 02-21-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited (Post 3421007)
If you've never gone to a con, it might be a bit boring.

I totally disagree. I think cons are way funner when its your first time.

But I live in Texas so there's no way I'll be there lmao :P

Gundam-Dude 02-21-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy1502 (Post 3421218)
I'm going too, cool.

:cool:

Hurleyisgod 02-21-2011 12:35 PM

What should i do? like what is a must do kinda thing. and also what would i bring? o.o seriously guys, i know nothing xD

kommisar 02-21-2011 12:49 PM

bring cash prizes and stick in a group. i'll probably be whoring the ddr room again hehu

ddr_f4n 02-21-2011 01:05 PM

I wonder if the group I went with will go again, most likely yes though.

Gundam-Dude 02-21-2011 01:06 PM

If you're absolutely going, I'd advise pre-registering a few months beforehand to guarantee your admission and so you're not stuck in line waiting on the Friday (that line stretches all around the building and you'll be stuck in it for 2+ hours). After pre-registering, all you really have to do is bring whatever page it notifies you to print to the day before the con (Thursday) so you can pick up your badge and a schedule of the con's events. The badge is basically your ticket to the con events; Don't lose it and wear it at all times.

Once you have the con schedule, flip through it and read it carefully. On Friday, the con doesn't start until after 5pm so if you arrive way beforehand, this will give you time to plan and figure out where everything is. Also, gives you time to sightsee and look at the cosplays, lol.

The con is spread across 3 buildings: The Toronto Convention Center, Doubletree hotel, and Sheraton hotel, which are all within walking distance. If you don't feel like walking, there are also shuttle buses that run from each building, to save you the effort.

TCC is where the Artist's Booths and Dealer's Room is located. This is where you'd buy merchandise such as posters, clothing, accessories, toys, CDs, anime, and more. It's a huge and crowded area so it is possible to get lost if it's your first time going. I'd advise you take a look at the map of the TCC, which should be included with the con schedule package.

Doubletree hotel is located right across the street from the TCC. Most of the panel discussions, board/card games, and show rooms will be here.

Sheraton hotel is located down the road from the Doubletree (about a 5-10 minute walk). All the video gaming rooms are here, such as the DDR/Rhythm game room mentioned earlier. Considering the number of Stepmans and FFRers going, it's likely you'll bump into some people here, lol.

As for stuff you should bring, bring your wallet with some cash. Some booths in the Dealer's Room take debit/credit card if you plan on making purchases, but it's much easier to pay upfront with cash given how busy and crowded it is. This also applies for the fast food restaurants in the area. You should also bring a backpack or some kind of bag to carry with you in case you do make purchases. Finally, if you're going to be there for pretty much the entire day or weekend, bring bottles of water to keep yourself hydrated to save yourself the cash and trouble of buying yourself drinks.

kommisar 02-21-2011 01:58 PM

there's a bunch of fast food restaurants right in front of TCC like harveys, time hortons, weaboo sushi place etc. If you want the main stuff to buy at the con, make most of your purchases on saturday rather than go nuts on the first day; best stuff comes out saturday. Sunday is a good day to chill at some last minute venues since it gets pretty dead after noon.

Don't wear too much clothes because it's basically 20,000 people in heat in one central area. Like gundam said bring lots of water you'll thank yourself.

Hope for good weather like last year. shit was nice.

yo gpop what's the word on the touhou pannel

kommisar 02-21-2011 02:01 PM

it's generally not too bad compared to online dealers and such. my reimu plushie was 40-50$ online and the exact same one was 25$ there. Depending on how impulsive you are as a buyer, I'd say you'll be safe with 200$ if you want lots of swag. I'm dumb as fuc and I bring like 600 hehu

the art there is relatively cheap. you can buy nice posters for 5-10 bucks it's nice.

Gundam-Dude 02-21-2011 02:11 PM

Compared to ordering merchandise online (assuming it's stuff shipped from Japan or Asia), it's a hell of a lot cheaper. It also really depends on what you plan on buying (figurines, models, posters, plushes, etc.). Kommi already brought up the Touhou plush example; Those go for $30+ shipping online when you can get the same ones from AN for $20, no tax. That's also a bonus to making purchases from the dealer's room because the majority of the booths are tax-free. Whatever the price is indicated on a sticker, label or sign is exactly how much you pay for.

Also depends on how long you're staying for. If you're planning on going for all 3 days, I'd say bring at least $300 to cover food expenses and any purchases. Otherwise if you're only going for a day, I think you can manage with $100, maybe even less. If you don't feel safe carrying all that money around, just bring your debit/credit card since there are ATMs around con (Line ups suck though. Guaranteed that you'll be stuck waiting).

kommisar 02-21-2011 02:11 PM

some depending on size/rarity can be that much lol

Xiaounlimited 02-21-2011 02:17 PM

I give myself roughly a $300 budget: $250 or so for swag, the rest for food. I go over sometimes, but I try to stay within it.

I eat twice a day to save cash and I just live off of coffee. Of my food expenses, about 75% of it is coffee. I find it to be very cost efficient.

ddr_f4n 02-21-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3421306)
yo gpop what's the word on the touhou pannel

Well no word on any dates or time whatsoever not surprised anyways since they don't make final decisions on these things until like a week or so before the schedule comes out. Nothing about the rooms or anything as well but that's more because the host is trying to get some stuff on his end first.

Also, if you want to get the Touhou stuff, keep in mind that it's USUALLY at the same table as the yaoi stuff sooooo...

And the manga are usually $5 each too.

kommisar 02-21-2011 02:26 PM

that dude is annoying as shit....

Xiaounlimited 02-21-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3421323)
Also, if you want to get the Touhou stuff, keep in mind that it's USUALLY at the same table as the yaoi stuff sooooo...

So I can get Touhou swag and check out cute boys at the same time? Sweet!

Gundam-Dude 02-21-2011 02:28 PM

gay

xMUSICxMASTERx 02-21-2011 02:28 PM

im going to anime north, and im also going to fan expo this summer for the 2nd year in a row. c:

ddr_f4n 02-21-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xMUSICxMASTERx (Post 3421327)
im going to anime north, and im also going to fan expo this summer for the 2nd year in a row. c:

I was told to go to Fan Expo last year buuuuut I forgot >.>

xMUSICxMASTERx 02-21-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3421329)
I was told to go to Fan Expo last year buuuuut I forgot >.>

lmao how could you forget? xD
it was pretty fun, but im excited for anime north, ive never been yet.

ddr_f4n 02-21-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xMUSICxMASTERx (Post 3421462)
lmao how could you forget? xD
it was pretty fun, but im excited for anime north, ive never been yet.

Because...none of my friends ever talk about it, only Anime North :P

I might go this year but I need some reminding about it as well. If you're coming to AN though that'd be pretty awesome (and maybe we can settle that deal with a PS2 hmmmmmm? :VV)

AlexDest 02-21-2011 09:04 PM

kommi suggested that i should probably go

i might if i'm lucky, would be cool

kommisar 02-22-2011 06:32 AM

well you're closer to Toronto than I am lmao

by like 260 miles

Xiaounlimited 02-22-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3421761)
miles

go away

kommisar 02-22-2011 09:52 AM

i gotta conform to their language

sounds better to say 1243km tho

ddr_f4n 02-22-2011 09:57 AM

I'm Kanadian wats a mile?

WTFBrandon 02-22-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDest (Post 3421600)
kommi suggested that i should probably go

i might if i'm lucky, would be cool

gogogo!!!

kommisar 02-22-2011 02:42 PM

irl stepman match

xMUSICxMASTERx 02-22-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3421591)
Because...none of my friends ever talk about it, only Anime North :P

I might go this year but I need some reminding about it as well. If you're coming to AN though that'd be pretty awesome (and maybe we can settle that deal with a PS2 hmmmmmm? :VV)

haha yeah xD
theres thousands of people at these conventions though, and im cosplaying lol so i doubt i would be able to find anyone from ffr unless i actually talk to them about meeting up and stuff, which im probably going to do with micheal (remedy1502) im excited. :D

MrGiggles 02-22-2011 06:12 PM

Oh nice, it's right after I free up for the summer. Unfortunately, it's also close to Toracon, which is more than enough con for me for a few years.

Hurleyisgod 02-22-2011 06:42 PM

I'm gunna try cosplaying, i have a super Asian friend that makes cosplay outfits. And shes AMAZING at it.

I've always wanted to try to cosplay for fun. And since i have good hair already for certain characters, i already have a couple of people in mind to go as :D

ddr_f4n 02-22-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xMUSICxMASTERx (Post 3422081)
haha yeah xD
theres thousands of people at these conventions though, and im cosplaying lol so i doubt i would be able to find anyone from ffr unless i actually talk to them about meeting up and stuff, which im probably going to do with micheal (remedy1502) im excited. :D

xD you should give me a call on who you're gonna cosplay and let me know and maybe I can eventually find you :P Or you could go to the DDR room where you'll most likely find Kommi, and I'll probably be there too :P

kommisar 02-22-2011 08:24 PM

i'll be wearing my cosplay at least once playing ddr so i'll be easy to spot (also, fro)

ddr_f4n 02-22-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3422191)
i'll be wearing my cosplay at least once playing ddr so i'll be easy to spot (also, fro)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3421008)

Pretty much lol :V

Gundam-Dude 02-22-2011 09:21 PM

If I cosplay I think I'll be easy to spot otherwise I'm going to wear/bring my button armoured hat with me and maybe carry around a plush

ddr_f4n 02-22-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 3422228)
If I cosplay I think I'll be easy to spot otherwise I'm going to wear/bring my button armoured hat with me and maybe carry around a plush

Not that Yukkuri shirt you brought last Saturday? :P

Xiaounlimited 02-22-2011 09:43 PM

God, I'm so inconspicuous at a con

I feel so normal

ghost- 02-22-2011 09:48 PM

roflmao

ddr_f4n 02-22-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited (Post 3422247)
God, I'm so inconspicuous at a con

I feel so normal

I never cosplay, at most a shirt with the Flandre symbol I made at school one day :V

kommisar 02-22-2011 09:56 PM

i'm the one that wears crocs with socs

yeah

Gundam-Dude 02-22-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr_f4n (Post 3422237)
Not that Yukkuri shirt you brought last Saturday? :P

Wore it last year all weekend but I guess I can wear it again if I don't have a costume, lol.

xMUSICxMASTERx 02-28-2011 08:54 PM

i suck at ddr xD i should start practicing.
i guess we should all meet up at the ddr place then =D

ddr_f4n 02-28-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xMUSICxMASTERx (Post 3426655)
i suck at ddr xD i should start practicing.
i guess we should all meet up at the ddr place then =D

That and the Touhou Panel. I think the Touhou Panel would be the best chance for everyone to meet at the same time, rather than the DDR place you'll see whoever is hanging there at that time (and Kommi lol)

TC_Chronichild420 03-1-2011 08:37 AM

I go to this every year considering it's less than 40 minutes from my place. (Driving at my speeds that is)

Don't know if I'm going to wear cosplay this year, but I may if my friend finishes making costumes.

Jesus, I didn't think this many people from FFR went to this. I should check the forums more often. Lmao.

If I'm cosplaying, I'll be Faust from Guilty Gear. BAGHEAD FTW

ddr_f4n 03-1-2011 08:48 AM

I feel that last year wasn't as great based on the amount of people I knew that couldn't go. Now I see that MANY MORE people are coming now, not only from FFR, but some of my bros over at MotK as well, which is pretty sick. I'm gonna have to start choosing which group to go with, or be with the same group I went last year.

kommisar 03-1-2011 09:06 AM

def. going to the touhou pannel again this year. i'll be chillin with gundam xiao and brandon while up there

Staiain 03-1-2011 09:43 AM

Take pictures :)

ps. I wish I could come and meet all of you guys :(

xealix 03-1-2011 09:48 AM

Off the topic of Anime North, but still on the topic of Cons. Will anyone be attending Anime Central in Illinois?

kommisar 03-1-2011 09:48 AM

make another thread for it in the events board. this is for anime north in toronto

xealix 03-1-2011 09:54 AM

Either way i may just have to save up money and travel to Anime North next year if this many FFR people are going. Nothing wrong with a trip to Canada on its own either. I was just wondering if anyone traveled for Cons or not. Didn't feel like starting a whole thread for it, but i might as it gets closer if someone doesn't before me.

kommisar 03-1-2011 10:15 AM

I travel for this con in particular since it's the only one I can go to that doesn't require a passport hehu.

there's gonna be a much larger group this year compared to last

VarleyisDance 03-1-2011 10:25 AM

Maybe ill go and try to win anime north idol :)

TC_Chronichild420 03-1-2011 10:27 AM

Wow. Was just talking to some friends of mine to make sure we're going.

Looks like we're all going AND all cosplaying.

Although, I may be a minecraft miner as opposed to Faust, depends on what my friend is going to dress up as.

So, there will be 4 people, including me, that you can count as attending for sure.

Where's the meet-up spot, I'd like to at least say hi to you guys if I'm too busy being dragged to booths with friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VarleyisDance (Post 3427007)
Maybe ill go and try to win anime north idol :)

Dude go. Kersh is coming with me and we're being minecraft miners most likely. Roflmao.

ddr_f4n 03-1-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Chronichild420 (Post 3427009)
Where's the meet-up spot, I'd like to at least say hi to you guys if I'm too busy being dragged to booths with friends.

DDR room and Touhou Panel. DDR Room is where you'll find Kommi and maybe others like Dan, GD, Brandon, Remedy, etc. But if you want to try to meet MOST of us at once, then the Touhou Panel will be the place.

One Winged Angel 03-1-2011 10:41 AM

a couple of my buddies have been trying to drag me to this over the past couple of years...if GD and company are all going, I'll probably make it this year

VarleyisDance 03-1-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Chronichild420 (Post 3427009)
Wow. Was just talking to some friends of mine to make sure we're going.

Looks like we're all going AND all cosplaying.

Although, I may be a minecraft miner as opposed to Faust, depends on what my friend is going to dress up as.

So, there will be 4 people, including me, that you can count as attending for sure.

Dude go. Kersh is coming with me and we're being minecraft miners most likely. Roflmao.

ohh this could be a definite possibility!

xealix 03-1-2011 11:23 AM

It's a pretty big Con i am guessing right? Sounds interesting I am definitely going to plan on it for next year. I have only been to fairly small ones, Anime Central is supposed to be one of the biggest in the US so i am pretty excited for that.

kommisar 03-1-2011 11:54 AM

16,800 people in 2010, estimating 18,000 this year

3 buildings including the 1 million sq feet toronto congress center, it's the biggest we've got up here in canaderp

I hope the touhou pannel is on friday at 5 again. that was a good way to start off things rather than running around waiting to go in TCC

Gundam-Dude 03-1-2011 12:13 PM

Everyone seems to be going in their own small little groups but as Kommi mentioned I'll be with him, his gf, Xiao, WTFBrandon, and Ryukickass. Find us either in the DDR room or Toohoo panel over the course of the weekend if we all stick together and don't have many other events/panels to attend.

I doubt I'm going to have a cosplay outfit ready in time, so I'll probably just be wearing my super button armoured hat (you'll know when you see it) and/or carrying around a RaRe plush doll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Winged Angel (Post 3427013)
a couple of my buddies have been trying to drag me to this over the past couple of years...if GD and company are all going, I'll probably make it this year

I still owe you a case of fanta or w/e so that should be an incentive to find me :cool:

TC_Chronichild420 03-2-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 3427087)
Everyone seems to be going in their own small little groups but as Kommi mentioned I'll be with him, his gf, Xiao, WTFBrandon, and Ryukickass. Find us either in the DDR room or Toohoo panel over the course of the weekend if we all stick together and don't have many other events/panels to attend.

I doubt I'm going to have a cosplay outfit ready in time, so I'll probably just be wearing my super button armoured hat (you'll know when you see it) and/or carrying around a RaRe plush doll.

I still owe you a case of fanta or w/e so that should be an incentive to find me :cool:

I'm gonna come say "Hi" at the very least regardless. Lmao.

Just curious, is anyone other than me staying for the whole weekend?

kommisar 03-2-2011 07:47 AM

i'm there thursday-sunday evening to have more time to get setup and such. synexi has school on monday so we have to leave sunday night after the con.

xealix 03-2-2011 03:21 PM

That sounds pretty epic. It sounds like a must attend con for anyone in the area. It would be interesting if i could find a way there next year.