Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Wii is Here. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=26037)

super-smashman 04-27-2006 05:00 PM

Re: The Revolution (Wii) is Here.

I can't stop saying "why" in my head (instead of "we").

Eyoshi 04-27-2006 05:11 PM

But while Revolution sounds cool as a name, it doesn't really make the system sound as distinct as it should be. Like Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. Yeah, they have a ring to it, but they sound too similar, in the sense that most products try to sound modern.

Sure, it will sound a bit weird at first; but it'll catch on. Nintendo's maverick ways have always sparked interest in the community.

On a sidenote, for some reason I think the Revolution is similar to the iPod. O_o

jamuko 04-27-2006 05:18 PM

I thought the same thing, Eyoshi... and apparently we aren't the only ones. It's the simplistic feel to the marketing, and the white background with grey simple-but-nice-looking text... and having everything so smooth. It's very Apple-esque.

I for one am already tired of people going nuts complaining already. Give it some time; people complained about the "Gamecube" name too, and now no one gives it a second thought.

Tokzic 04-27-2006 05:32 PM

lol wii is synonomous to penis

I don't see why everyone's freaking out so much. OMG IT'S CALLED WII NOW THAT IS NOT AS COOL SOUNDING AS REVOLUTION GET THE GUNS WE'RE GOING TO JAPAN. Who cares? It's a goddamn name. Get over it.

Eyoshi 04-27-2006 06:11 PM

The name of a system makes a strong impression on the consumer.

I guess people want to have names with cool-looking stuff. People who don't what something is will judge only by its name, therefore making someone will a cool-sounding product...cool.

Just my thoughts, though.

lord_carbo 04-27-2006 07:52 PM

Found a pretty good quote on this, quite agreeable and reasonable:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Dude on Gamespot
Exactly "Wii" isn't cool to the ear. And people, at least now, only care about how the name sounds. Just as when the controller was revealed, they cared about how it looks.

Nintendo, maybe cause they think they are supposed to save the industry and no one else, really want people to look further than the first impression. That's the whole thing about the Revo, to be open minded and try it. To accept a different name is the first step.

vashthestampede0987 04-27-2006 07:58 PM

Is it rumor or fact that Nintendo's stock dropped 2% shortly after introducing the name "Wii"?

Tasuke 04-27-2006 08:44 PM

I'm scared about the name change because it's seeming to be leaning more and more towrads copying apple. iWii. Heh. Not that Consoles and computers can't prosper together, ahem, Xbox

Squeek 04-27-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vashthestampede0987
Is it rumor or fact that Nintendo's stock dropped 2% shortly after introducing the name "Wii"?

Stock was up 1.37% last I checked. That was shortly after the name came out.

~Squeek

Squeek 04-28-2006 12:38 AM

Necessary doublepost.

I got it. At least I hope I got it. This is a pretty stark revelation to just hit me in the face just seconds ago.

Iwata has been quoted as saying that he hates the confines of the television screen and wishes to do away with that. Wishes to make it so that video games aren't projected onto monitors or screens. It's possible that his dream is going to take place on the Wii.

Do you remember that video a while ago with the French guy holding a small device in his hand that became a flower through this camera device he had? He also drove a car that reacted to real-world objects.

What if this is the way Nintendo is displaying the new console? I mean, we've seen how the controller works through the many trailers and teasers, but we've never seen the way it's shown. This may be the final secret Iwata has had up his sleeve.

Take this anyway you see it. I had this sudden insight after reading this article:

http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/5681487

Quote:

In terms of presentation, you will be astonished by what the Revolution holds, and it is indeed the final secret Mr. Miyamoto hinted at.
If I'm right, remember me for it. If not, then meh.

~Squeek

PS - Video of the French guy : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...n+demo&pl=true

PPS - "What if I am right" is an acronym for "Wii ar". We are. Coincidence?

Omeganitros 04-28-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrESqueek
PPS - "What if I am right" is an acronym for "Wii ar". We are. Coincidence?

Make it "What If I Am Right, Eh?"

Neonatrias 04-28-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Lots of stuff.

Sir, my interest in this system has been fully revived. =)

EDIT: That video you posted, too. Simply =O.

nforcer06164 04-28-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

THAT. WAS. RIDICULOUS.

And by ridiculous I mean amazing. With a little tweaking, this technology has almost no limits.

Neonatrias 04-28-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nforcer06164
THAT. WAS. RIDICULOUS.

And by ridiculous I mean amazing. With a little tweaking, this technology has almost no limits.

Everything has limits. It's just a matter of how far past those limits you can push it. =)

Squeek 04-28-2006 11:29 AM

The video with the French guy was posted here about a year or so ago with the topic title of "Is this the Revolution?" or something like that.

We had discussion about it and it basically came down to saying "No."

But it's been a long while since then ;)

~Squeek

Edit: And dangit. I thought I'd post it on Joystiq and actually get people to listen. Nobody does. Nobody even sifts back 10 pages of 50 posts a page to read anything. There's gotta be a way I can get this spread.

Omeganitros 04-28-2006 11:52 AM

What you need to do is futher elaborate on your theory, because right now the video doesn't clearly show what you mean. I was confused for a while until I put things together.

Make some drawings or something.

Squeek 04-28-2006 12:41 PM

1) I don't think I could accurately draw, sketch, MSPaint, etc anything even remotely close to what I have in mind here.

2) I don't even know what I have in mind here.

3) I think it's best left up to the imagination of the reader.

~Squeek

nforcer06164 04-28-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

1) I don't think I could accurately draw, sketch, MSPaint, etc anything even remotely close to what I have in mind here.

2) I don't even know what I have in mind here.

3) I think it's best left up to the imagination of the reader.

~Squeek

Well, that doesn't really help now, does it? I didn't know there was something to convey that you couldn't express until now =(

Squeek 04-28-2006 09:20 PM

In other news:

Quote:

In an interview with Steve Manning, a big dog of Igor International a company who named The Signature at MGM Grand and MTV’s URGE, it is revealed why he thinks Nintendo has released a fake name for their new system. “Allowing your audience to vent is not SOP[standard operating procedures] in a name announcement, and also telegraphs that Nintendo knows what a stinker this name would be.” He also says “It’s not possible to engineer a worse name for this product.”

Another point, which could be the biggest giveaway of all with this whole story, may be the fact that Wii has no registered trademarks. Not with Nintendo, not in the US, not in Japan. One of us could trademark this name quick, and Nintendo would have to shell out to us. If “Wii” was the real system name, the trademark would have been snatched up months ago. “This leads us to conclude that Nintendo has in fact registered the real name under a dummy corp, which is SOP when trying to keep a name secret prior to launch.”

With “Wii”, Nintendo is obviously creating a new buzz, and they hope it is enough to bring people into the name. People will hear the name, look it up, and find more about it. After all the buzz regarding the name simmers, E3 will be the chance for the real REVOLUTION name to be announced.
It's possible.

~Squeek

PS - Just found out my insight is now the 7th most popular post on Digg right now. Take it.

jamuko 04-29-2006 03:10 AM

Here's the Kotaku article regarding the potential name hoax.

In addition, while http://nintendowii.com/ redirects to Nintendo, http://wii.com/ doesn't. I looked it up, and it is registered to "Willamette Industries, Inc." and has been since 1994. It's obviously not in use though, as it loads nothing. If Nintendo wanted to keep the name "Wii", they surely would have bought the domain name off these guys. Under a false name if need be, but they definitely would have gotten it somehow. (Seriously; they paid some guy tons of money in the past just to buy Pikachu.com. This would have been a no-brainer.)

I'm convinced. Touche, Nintendo.

Can't wait until E3.