Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coronavirus (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151781)

m3t4kn1ght 03-23-2020 10:45 PM

Re: Coronavirus

Interesting to see how people in the States are dealing with it. Countries around me are locking down and our government doesn't think its necessary. Though I feel like our hospitals would be put under a lot less pressure if we did. If people here stayed at home for two weeks it'd become clear who's infected or not and the dicline in ICU visits would mean less strain on the workers involved. Sure it'd be impossible to contain completely but unknown infected are walking on the streets, visiting beaches and parks, etc. The fact that unknown infected are still spreading on mass scale kind of frightens me for certain people. No one even knows if group immunity will work.

In Europe, idunno, it all feels extremely depressing. Many international friends had to vacate back to their country due to their lockdown within a span of 3 days. Stay safe continental fam

Funnygurl555 03-23-2020 11:29 PM

The CDC and the WHO aren't the *only* viable sources of information. Yeah yeah, we shouldn't listen to everything the media says, but news articles can be credible if they back themselves up with good sources. I personally have been reading NYT for coronavirus news. It's much easier to get information from news sources than parsing primary data myself, so why not? For example, I saw an article about how loss of smell could be a unique symptom of coronavirus that separates it from the flu and the common cold. Is that cool info to keep in mind? Yeah. Am I gonna assume I'm safe if I get sick but can still smell things? No.

Granted, the amount of false information on my social media feed has been infuriating. Some people post false information out of goodwill, which doesn't personally rattle me too bad. But the people who post conspiracy theory shit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3t4kn1ght (Post 4722117)
Interesting to see how people in the States are dealing with it. Countries around me are locking down and our government doesn't think its necessary. Though I feel like our hospitals would be put under a lot less pressure if we did. If people here stayed at home for two weeks it'd become clear who's infected or not and the dicline in ICU visits would mean less strain on the workers involved. Sure it'd be impossible to contain completely but unknown infected are walking on the streets, visiting beaches and parks, etc. The fact that unknown infected are still spreading on mass scale kind of frightens me for certain people. No one even knows if group immunity will work.

In Europe, idunno, it all feels extremely depressing. Many international friends had to vacate back to their country due to their lockdown within a span of 3 days. Stay safe continental fam

stay at home and stay safe man. :(

EDIT: I've been struggling with guilt about inevitably spreading the virus to my roommates. They're essentially quarantined at home. My existence dramatically increases their risk of exposure.

I also feel guilty about continuing to smoke through this. If I end up getting hella sick, I can really only blame myself I guess. I'm otherwise pretty physically healthy, so .. heh.

ULTIMEGA 03-24-2020 12:57 AM

This is all I'm hearing about. Lockdowns, quarantines. All because idiot people didn't learn to stay the fuck home, and look at what's happened as a result. Half the world is infected, multiple countries are on lock down, and if this doesn't stop, the entire world economy is gonna collapse. I guarantee it.

aperson 03-24-2020 01:21 PM

It's almost like a very contagious virus that hospitalizes ~20% of the people it infects is sufficient to shut down our world economy and drastic mitigation measures are the best solution to limit the damage.

XelNya 03-24-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4722115)
They just announced a shelter in place here. TLDR: Stay the fuck home or we go the next step.

Fun stuff. Time for the wave of shopping MK. II

I thought I’d see more panic buying, and shockingly i have not

Rapta 03-24-2020 02:37 PM

My work place has shut down indefinitely. At least I get to relax for a while.

DossarLX ODI 03-24-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4722204)
It's almost like a very contagious virus that hospitalizes ~20% of the people it infects is sufficient to shut down our world economy and drastic mitigation measures are the best solution to limit the damage.

"But you don't understand! There were 604,446 cases of swine flu with 18,036 deaths from 2009 to 2010! That's more total cases and deaths than coronavirus and we have no reason to be alarmed!"

^ The type of attitude that literally gets people killed or seriously injured.

ULTIMEGA 03-24-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 4722218)
"But you don't understand! There were 604,446 cases of swine flu with 18,036 deaths from 2009 to 2010! That's more total cases and deaths than coronavirus and we have no reason to be alarmed!"

^ The type of attitude that literally gets people killed or seriously injured.

My point exactly.

TC_Halogen 03-24-2020 03:51 PM

Officially in a circumstance where the potential exists for me to be 0 degrees of separation from a positive COVID-19 case as a result of a recently reported positive result close to my place of work.

Best case scenario is I'm two degrees of separation; most likely case is I'm a single degree of separation. This shit's getting way too close for comfort.

MixMasterLar 03-25-2020 02:36 AM

Honestly there's a part of me that wishes I could just get it and be done with it. I'm healthy enough to realistically survive and I would like build a immunity to it

But since I have to regularly be around people who possibly couldn't shake it off, that's a no-go

If I don't ever get it until it's amazing comeback tour when I'm 90 and die from it then imma be pissed

Matthia 03-25-2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthia (Post 4720136)
Total cases in Oregon has just risen by 3, bringing it up to 39

It is now 9 days later, and total cases in Oregon has shot up to 213

Edit: Have a look at this statistic

psychoangel691 03-25-2020 04:24 AM

What's scarier is we all know the number is way higher than we even know due to the huge lack of testing. And this asshole wants to sacrifice lives to not damage the economy. I'm like beyond sick over all this at this point, I'm a mother with underlying issues I don't want to die because my country's leader is a dipshit who values money over people's lives. Like legit I'm up by myself all night stressing and crying because I'm afraid I'm going to die and leave my kids behind or even worse have them get infected and have complications. The first child just died from this shit, and there are babies in intensive care with it.
I know I've been pretty toxic in this thread, I'm sorry but like when it comes to this stuff I've gone total bitch mode cause I'm just so aggravated and anxiety-riddled.

SputnikOwns 03-25-2020 08:19 AM

I'm just relieved that the United States is under strong leadership at the moment. Can't say the same about Canada.

Funnygurl555 03-25-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SputnikOwns (Post 4722456)
I'm just relieved that the United States is under strong leadership at the moment. Can't say the same about Canada.

nah man trumps done a horrible job with this

psychoangel691 03-25-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

You can't be serious....

Charu 03-25-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah man, so strong that our president believed this wouldn't effect the US and it'd go away in a few weeks.

reuben_tate 03-25-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

I'm just relieved that the United States is under strong leadership at the moment.

Yes if by "leadership" you mean leading the country in a negative direction both economic and health-wise.

Maybe I'm living in an echo chamber, but as far as I see, this situation has really shined a light on Trump's inability to handle things during a time of crisis.

SputnikOwns 03-25-2020 02:43 PM

I think he's doing great! His approval is spiking as a result. :)

psychoangel691 03-25-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SputnikOwns (Post 4722475)
I think he's doing great! His approval is spiking as a result. :)

You clearly aren't seeing what's actually going on.

Arntonach 03-25-2020 03:04 PM

His leadership made the leaders at my job extremely lazy and apathetic. It's a VA with a hospice center, and had employees (including me) get exposed with no protection to someone with symptoms.

And in these last few weeks I've been in pain from breathing.

So tell me his leadership is good, cause if you just default to the generic "the market is great" well it's cause he propped it up with emergency provisions and financial safety nets that are vanishing now at a point in time when we need them the most.

Just stop being a cock-sucking sycophant and realize how fucked up things are right now.