Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ODIPack3 submissions (Release when graphics are done) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=129432)

t-rogdor 03-15-2013 05:50 PM

Re: ODIPack3 submissions (it's happening!)

Hype

stargroup100 03-15-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastapiggy (Post 3879937)
i will finish one of my wips and submit look foward to it ;):mrgreen:

THIS GUY. OUTTA NOWHERE

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3880682)
It's good. This will ensure every file has been taken apart and fixed to its best potential.

except it's subjective

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie (Post 3880684)
Sure, it's not my pack and maybe I shouldn't have been so passive aggressive, but I just don't want to take a step back when we've done so much to eliminate elitism these past years. Technicality isn't everything, if someone "missed 1 drum note" then maybe that's how they meant to express the song. There's only so much that can be considered objectively wrong

I'm a little bit late but I do want to put in my two cents

the community has developed quite a bit recently. ever since the light chancellors packs way back in the day the "elitism" attitude has pretty much been broken down. it's been shown that just about anyone can make decent charts, and this fact alone makes it very difficult for any sort of elitism to re-emerge, as an elitist movement needs to have a reason or cause to back it up

however, right now we really push the community in a different direction. as I've mentioned before in my ffrcp4 notes, the community is taking the "new-school" charting styles well, but it's doing so at the cost of other important factors, like control over note density, transcription accuracy, and smooth pattern flow. this is because people are trying to be fancy before mastering the fundamentals, so reverting back to a more "oldschool" technical style is something the community needs

tl;dr don't fight it, embrace it

bmah 03-15-2013 05:59 PM

side note: elitism still exists, not so much in the form of chart acceptance/rejection, but rather in the form of people's favorite files. The favoritism is especially noticeable within pack reviews (e.g. Kil files in moches' most recent pack) and is a personal pet peeve of mine as a stepper.

-------------

anyhow, responses for my Five Regrets file:

Quote:

1) there's something really weird going on in measure 19-20, this needs to be looked at.
2) measure 40, the first two piano notes almost sound like 16th gallops? its really subtle though so you can have it any way youd like, same for measure 42 though.
3) measure 42, 1 16ths too much
4) measure 47, there's 32nds or smth like that just where that measure starts if you want to add that.
5) measure 48-50, i would make the rest of the melody notes here freezes as well so that it gets a lot easier to follow when playing since it's an easy part anyway
6) maybe adjust the end of the file as well so that it doesn't have freezes at all going to the lead melody instead of one every once in a while. but this is up to you
1) I believe that's a very slight deviation in the syncing of the instrument being played. I didn't bother trying to make them into 192nds or something weird and colorful; that'd sorta compromise simplicity/readability. You might've also found previous examples of very slight syncing deviations such as in measure 17. Again, generalization is the way to go here.

2) ??? (wouldn't make much sense from a music theory/composition perspective though)

3) That left arrow 8th is actually the hi-hats, which the surrounding 8th jumps also follow. I can only cover this appreciably in this area, since it's relatively empty. Subsequent parts of the song becomes increasingly complex. In any case, I removed the hi-hat arrows. There should be a total of 858 steps in the heavy difficulty now.

4) ???

5) Heh, you think so? :p The small freezes are more of a visual touch to the cymbal crashes.

6) Hmm, that'd homogenize the chart I'd think. It's a matter of taste, but I'd like to think of those freezes as making the main melody stand out a bit more from the rest of the layering.

Anyways, thank you very much for your thoughts. I'll send the revision.

dascookieman 03-15-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James May (Post 3880806)
I guess I should resend Mudkip as well :/...unless I sent it in after you judged the first set. Anyhow, glad to have you back glove~

i have recieved mudkip! just havn't played it yet, it will be in the next batch of reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3880840)
3) That left arrow 8th is actually the hi-hats, which the surrounding 8th jumps also follow. I can only cover this appreciably in this area, since it's relatively empty. Subsequent parts of the song becomes increasingly complex. In any case, I removed the hi-hat arrows. There should be a total of 858 steps in the heavy difficulty now.

tru dat it was my mistake. although removing the hi-hats from that section is a good idea.
Quote:

4) ???

the descending piano roll right before measure 47 starts... you can't miss it. how it should be handled is a good question though.
Quote:

5) Heh, you think so? :p The small freezes are more of a visual touch to the cymbal crashes.

yeah i know, i was thinking you can make the other lead notes here a 16th long and make the cymbal crash freezes even shorter, but this is totally up to you
Quote:

6) Hmm, that'd homogenize the chart I'd think. It's a matter of taste, but I'd like to think of those freezes as making the main melody stand out a bit more from the rest of the layering.

yes it is absolutely fine, do as you like with this as well

also randomly found something else just going through your post now, in the middle of measure 50 there's a color note missing going to the lead

i will play your revision tomorrow, just resend it again if you change anything else until then. seems like five regrets is going to be the first completly accepted file in the pack :)

James May 03-15-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dascookieman (Post 3880864)
i have recieved mudkip! just havn't played it yet, it will be in the next batch of reviews.

Cool~

bmah 03-15-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

the descending piano roll right before measure 47 starts... you can't miss it. how it should be handled is a good question though.
Oh, seems like another case of 1), where the chord might be ever so slightly off. In this case though, I changed one of the jumps to a pair of grace notes (the offsync note is a 64th).

Also added an arrow to a piano note that neither of us seem to have caught earlier (towards the end).

Sent the revision (I made an earlier revision, but ignore that please). Total arrows should be 860 in the heavy difficulty.

TC_Halogen 03-15-2013 08:04 PM

Gonna bring out the big guns for this pack -- I'd love to see files of mine in ODI3. As of right now, I'm stepping Through Her Eyes, by Jordan Rudess -- we'll see where I go from here.

Dynam0 03-15-2013 08:06 PM

Step more vnsares/breakcore halogen...Contain is like my fav file currently :p (and I don't even like mines rofl)

TC_Halogen 03-15-2013 08:11 PM

I planned on working on a chart for Binedump (Venetian Snares, hehe), but that's on backburner at the moment because it's quite easy to sync. Through Her Eyes is a piano solo and it is somewhat long (almost 5 minutes), so syncing and charting will take quite a long time, hahaha.

baq12 03-15-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3880918)
Gonna bring out the big guns for this pack -- I'd love to see files of mine in ODI3. As of right now, I'm stepping Through Her Eyes, by Jordan Rudess -- we'll see where I go from here.

:-D I think that will turn out great!

And GLoVE liked Fatal Tragedy?!? Oshcolgoshfpdjfo life complete.

TC_Halogen 03-15-2013 08:20 PM

Actually, for the judges, I do have one question: is it frowned upon to snap notes to a common notation when the flourish sounds very close to that particular rhythm (to prevent loads of 64ths/192nds everywhere)?

FissionMailed1 03-15-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3880918)
I'm stepping Through Her Eyes, by Jordan Rudess

OMFG YES.

moches 03-15-2013 08:28 PM

steppin a Nekomata Master song for this to get back in the groove : D

bmah 03-15-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moches (Post 3880940)
steppin a Nekomata Master song for this to get back in the groove : D

what song?

(you should try Rainbow after snow :])

moches 03-15-2013 08:32 PM

existens :)

EDIT:
Quote:

Both unreleased files and released files can be accepted. But I won't accept any modifications to released files, so if you want your file in this pack it would not be a good idea to release it before it has been judged here.
GLoVE, there's a marathon file I released in 2011 that I consider to be my personal magnum opus. I'll send it here and if it's rejected, no worries, I'll just whip up some new stuff. But this file has never been in a pack and I'd love to see it in here if it's good enough :)

it's Croqel

intensez 03-15-2013 08:41 PM

was my file received?

bit.ly 03-15-2013 09:07 PM

any idea what i should do for chipscape? maybe i'll tone it down in most parts and add in some rudimentary patterns + holds for the slower parts
i'll probably cut and send AQ Children to FFR instead, that seems 100% more logical yeah

working on 4 main files at the moment.. as long as ODI3 doesnt finish before mid May i should be fine

New York Rush - The Seatbelts
Labyrinth - Hiromi Uehara
Trust - DJ Kentaro
Where's Bill - Venetian Snares (full version, brand new steps)

i was always dissatisfied with my where's bill, since i feel that the full song is at least 50 times better than the shity cut i used

but i probably wont be able to finish any of them because syncing the seatbelts & hiromi uehara is stupidly hard for someone like me

NeoMasterPie 03-15-2013 09:10 PM

yo sorry i caused some drama earlier i'm adjusting to a higher dose of meds and i'm hella unstable (had a nap and now i'm okay lmao)

i'm working on something for this, probably gonna send it to macg B)

stargroup100 03-15-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie (Post 3880958)
yo sorry i caused some drama earlier i'm adjusting to a higher dose of meds and i'm hella unstable (had a nap and now i'm okay lmao)

that's gonna be me the next couple of days. uppin abilify dosage, no idea how im gonna take it lol