Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Atheism/Theism thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=128990)

Reincarnate 02-14-2013 08:38 PM

Re: Atheism/Theism thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJTrixX (Post 3861775)
I've come to know that the biggest difference of atheists vs. theists is that atheists are always searching for a truth they will never remotely grasp as suppose to a theist who has already accepted a truth based on faith.

This is called "argument from ignorance." Just because you don't know something doesn't mean you can just shrug your shoulders and make something up and have it be true.

Let's say I show you a safe and ask you what's inside. You don't know enough yet to crack it. Are you really going to say that your "truth" is the right one when it's no different from a guess, even if you feel really, really strongly about it? You have no idea what's in the safe, and neither does anyone else. But at least some people are trying to figure out how to get inside the safe to get the real answer

Quote:

Furthermore, do you find it wise or logical to spend your entire lifespan trying to understand everything about the universe rather then using that time more considerably like caring for the ones you love and spending time with them?

You can do both. Why must it be one or the other?

Ohaider 02-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3861770)
So you think that what's true comes down to what's the most popular/noted?

I don't really know where you got this from haha

the point of the picture displaying a list of all gods athiests don't believe in is to show that to athiests, yahweh is just another meager god they don't believe,

yet the typical athiest puts innumerable effort in derailing the christian god, that they probably wouldnt put forth if one were talking about say Zeus haha.

Getting hypocritical vibes from it is all

Reincarnate 02-14-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861781)

the point of the picture displaying a list of all gods athiests don't believe in is to show that to athiests, yahweh is just another meager god they don't believe, when the typical athiest puts innumerable effort in derailing that one god that they most certainly wouldnt put forth if one were talking about say Zeus haha.

Because you don't seem to understand why Yahweh is given more focus. It's not that atheists are so focused on "one god." It's *all* gods. The arguments that apply to Yahweh apply to all of them. It's just that most religious people you'll encounter on the internet believe in Yahweh, so that tends to be near the forefront of the discussion (if it's to be brought up at all).

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861781)

the point of the picture displaying a list of all gods athiests don't believe in is to show that to athiests, yahweh is just another meager god they don't believe,

yet the typical athiest puts innumerable effort in derailing the christian god, that they probably wouldnt put forth if one were talking about say Zeus haha.

Because the target audience is mostly Christian. I doubt there are many people on the planet that still believe in Zeus, so why target them? Sure those who still believe in Zeus are just as incorrect as Christians, but the bigger "problem" (for lack of better wording) is Christianity because it has a far bigger audience.

Choofers 02-14-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

I've come to know that the biggest difference of atheists vs. theists is that atheists are always searching for a truth they will never remotely grasp as suppose to a theist who has already accepted a truth based on faith.

I'd much rather use the tangible and tested evidence we have now to explain our existence, than to use blind faith to explain it.

Quote:

I ask you, as an atheist, of all the information and science known throughout the entire universe, about what amount in terms of percentage would you say you understand?
I ask you, as a theist, of all the information and science known throughout the entire universe, why do you still insist on attributing that to a higher power and not the human race?

Quote:

Furthermore, do you find it wise or logical to spend your entire lifespan trying to understand everything about the universe rather then using that time more considerably like caring for the ones you love and spending time with them?
Now you're just trying to guilt us. Love and caring isn't something created by religion. In fact, there are quite a few issues in that department when it comes to religion. Read through Exodus and Leviticus. Homosexuals are to be killed, slavery is morally and socially okay, the issue of rape isn't even hinted at but oh man, if you say the name of God with a bad attitude, you have Definitely Sinned.

Ohaider 02-14-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3861783)
Because you don't seem to understand why Yahweh is given more focus. It's not that atheists are so focused on "one god." It's *all* gods. The arguments that apply to Yahweh apply to all of them. It's just that most religious people you'll encounter on the internet believe in Yahweh, so that tends to be the topic of discussion (if it's to be brought up at all).

Once again, if it is retaliating, this is true haha

But I go back to where i say countless times i've seen some ass hole go onto some christian video on youtube try and bash the fuck out of yahweh

Go on forum boards/videos/free response anything concerning greek mythology and gods and theres none of it

shit like this

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 08:48 PM

Because Greek mythology is considered mythology, and not truth..

Ohaider 02-14-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ (Post 3861791)
Because Greek mythology is considered mythology, and not truth..

Good point, that was only one instance though haha, I mean other gods as a whole

Reincarnate 02-14-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861790)
Once again, if it is retaliating, this is true haha

But I go back to where i say countless times i've seen some ass hole go onto some christian video on youtube try and bash the fuck out of yahweh

Go on forum boards/videos/free response anything concerning greek mythology and gods and theres none of it

shit like this

Because a huge chunk of the population believes in Christianity. How would criticizing some other religion (that they don't believe in anyway) possibly help?

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861793)
Good point, that was only one instance though haha, I mean other gods as a whole

All other outdated gods are considered mythology too. Germanic mythology is mythology, Egyptian mythology is mythology etc. etc.

Yahweh is targeted because that's what most people believe in nowadays (or Allah, take your pick).

Ohaider 02-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3861794)
Because a huge chunk of the population believes in Christianity. How would criticizing some other religion (that they don't believe in anyway) possibly help?

It would help no more than criticizing the christian god haha

Choofers 02-14-2013 08:52 PM

If it makes you feel better, Allah doesn't exist either.

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861796)

That's only true for stubborn people (granted, of which there are a lot), but given long enough and they might realize the absurdities as well.

G.S.M 02-14-2013 08:56 PM

I believe in myself

problem solved

Reincarnate 02-14-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 3861796)

In other words, incredibly stubborn people who are unwilling to acknowledge counterpoints? lol

Plenty of people don't care to debate generalities. They only care about Christianity/Yahweh/etc. One common argument is "Well, Jesus was a real guy!" as if this makes Christianity "more likely" than some other religion.

t-rogdor 02-14-2013 09:00 PM

just gonna throw this out there, my man ScylaX has some good ideas

nothin much else to add except dawkins is a piece of shit lmfao

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 09:03 PM

Sup with the Dawkins hate anyway lol
I mean, he comes off as friendly and considerate to me

Choofers 02-14-2013 09:05 PM

I think dawkins is a dick because of all of the dumbshits he's encountered in his life.

Nullifidian 02-14-2013 09:08 PM

Even if he's standing face to face with a dumbshit, he's always considerate afaik, trying to explain why a certain reasoning is illogical/unreasonable etc. I can see why that's considered dickish because nobody likes their reasoning questioned but yeah, he's always civil about it.

t-rogdor 02-14-2013 09:08 PM

i dunno i've seen that dude ripping on the middle-east for their cultural shit a lot and it comes off as kinda shitty considering i doubt the dude's ever actually experienced it or know where they're coming from

that and his writing style is just atrocious lol