Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unpopular gaming opinions thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150254)

LOVESTOSPLOOGE452 02-1-2019 10:50 AM

Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 4665982)
Sometimes I just feel like a bitter old man. I want to go back to playing Goldeneye 64 on the couch with friends and everything is different now.

The thread is about unpopular opinions afterall.

Nahh, it's all about that Block Breaker and Snake II on the Nokia 3310

Andy_M 02-1-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 4665982)
Sometimes I just feel like a bitter old man. I want to go back to playing Goldeneye 64 on the couch with friends and everything is different now.

The thread is about unpopular opinions afterall.

I felt the same way, but then we had a Goldeneye night in 2008 and I was so bored to tears I started using the smelly klobb.

Shireen_dg 02-8-2019 04:21 PM

Super Smash bros. Melee is the only good SSB title and Smash Ultimate feels like the third installment of Brawl.

Perfect Dark is miles better than Goldeneye.

DotA is for casuals that were too bad to play normal Wc3.

Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario 64 > Super mario Odyssey > Super mario Galaxy.

These are some of my unpopular gaming opinions, gg wp.

gold stinger 02-8-2019 10:16 PM

Apex Legends is a bad game purely for the fact that it's made by EA.

Old Man Winter 02-9-2019 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shireen_dg (Post 4666607)
Super Smash bros. Melee is the only good SSB title and Smash Ultimate feels like the third installment of Brawl.

you're so wrong
Quote:

Perfect Dark is miles better than Goldeneye.
no comment

Quote:

DotA is for casuals that were too bad to play normal Wc3.
no comment

Quote:

Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario 64 > Super mario Odyssey > Super mario Galaxy.
you're so wrong
Quote:

These are some of my unpopular gaming opinions, gg wp.
ggwp

Andy_M 02-9-2019 04:55 PM

The only thing I would find crazy is if someone disliked Deus Ex.

There comes a time where you should never play the old games you love because it can destroy the golden memories you have and make you realise you wasted years on a piece of crap

like Goldeneye for example.

Fallaise 02-9-2019 05:29 PM

I didn't like deus ex ngl

walking simulator is one of the greatest genres of video game

MixMasterLar 02-9-2019 07:18 PM

I stand by that some of the old SNK Fighters are worth going back to and offer unique gameplay and challenge found in today's sea of hyper fighters.

Everyone should just go back to playing Real Bout 2

Andy_M 02-9-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallaise (Post 4666661)
I didn't like deus ex ngl

walking simulator is one of the greatest genres of video game

Not liking Deus Ex is pretty unpopular.

What about Golden eye? N64 Golden eye

I don't ever want to see that game again to be honest, ever

a walking simulator sounds cool but only if it had amazing graphics.

MagicCarpetRide 03-4-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4666638)
Apex Legends is a bad game purely for the fact that it's made by EA.

But it isn't made by EA. It's made by Respawn Entertainment. It's just published by EA. It's bad for other reasons.

Guitarman93 03-6-2019 05:38 AM

CTR(Crash Team Racing) is superior to Mario Kart.

Charu 03-6-2019 07:13 AM

I agree, Apex Legends isn't great. The potential to BE great though is there, but it's not there yet (and probably never will be) considering it's a F2P game.

Donkey Kong 64 is way too tedious and annoying to play through.

Shireen_dg 03-6-2019 12:52 PM

i think all the 3d sonic games are SHIT including sonic adventure 2 battle

Mollocephalus 03-8-2019 01:18 AM

Skyrim was a clunky garbage shitfest even back when it was released but people kept sucking Bethesdas dick just cuz they're Bethesda, now it's pretty clear how well that all worked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarman93 (Post 4668344)
CTR(Crash Team Racing) is superior to Mario Kart.

yes, can't wait for the remaster be released!

DaBackpack 03-8-2019 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shireen_dg (Post 4668354)
i think all the 3d sonic games are SHIT including sonic adventure 2 battle

Slight agree on this one. SA2 is the most polished of them all but the story is horrendous and Tails/Eggman are tedious as hell. I really liked the Chao Garden in this game though. (RIP Turkey ;_;7)

Sonic Adventure (for Dreamcast, not the GC port...) is my favorite 3D Sonic and while it's pretty broken, it's the most enjoyable and open-ended out of all of them.

EppuJoloZ 03-8-2019 02:30 AM

Virtual Boy is the most realistic 3D VR console. The graphics were, and always will be ahead of it's time

Shireen_dg 03-8-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4668500)
Sonic Adventure (for Dreamcast, not the GC port...) is my favorite 3D Sonic and while it's pretty broken, it's the most enjoyable and open-ended out of all of them.

I used to have fun with broken stuff in Sonic Adventure as a kid but I tried to play it again a few years ago and realised it's not very fun or good lol

MixMasterLar 03-8-2019 06:28 PM

I didn't play Dreamcast when it was current, so I've always played the SA games as an adult and I always thought they where pretty lowtier in their effort.

I get why people have nostalgia for them though. At the time there wasn't much like it and Sonic kind of had this good reputation from the 16 bit games where people where willing to overlook a rough transition for the time.

maxiscoolio 03-15-2019 07:21 AM

tennis for two aged perfectly and revolutionized gaming as we know it

DaBackpack 03-15-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiscoolio (Post 4668830)
tennis for two aged perfectly and revolutionized gaming as we know it

this isn't unpopular

maxiscoolio 03-15-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4668831)
this isn't unpopular

oops

i didnt like mother 1, its a convoluted story with a sluggish pace and gameplay mechanics like the battle system arent good

MixMasterLar 03-15-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiscoolio (Post 4668832)
oops

i didnt like mother 1, its a convoluted story with a sluggish pace and gameplay mechanics like the battle system arent good

That's uh....Also not that unpopular if you're talking about Earthbound Zero

Here's a hot take for you that I 100% believe:

Donkey Kong Country on SNES is not only overrated as a platformer, but the soundtrack is only impressive from a tech level and doesn't hold up well outside the game, especially that underwater theme.

Pozzai 03-30-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenAshy (Post 4658099)
Super mario 64 sucks!

Physics suck, camera ruins my jumps and makes me wanna die, Mario moves way too fast, game is incredibly simplistic and forgettable, lacks depth, and has numerous unpolished mechanics.
How people can prefer that game over banjo-kazooie is beyond me…

Not that it’s bad, just when your game’s controls are like trying to drive a shopping cart on a tight rope, that’s when I smash my tv and have a voracious desire to punch the game developers!

I wasn't a fan of this either, a bit the same about the old Resident Evil games, I love the rework, but the 'loss of control' I felt the camera functionality in these games just frustrated me.

Also, people tended to speak of Tiberian Sun as being a fantastic game, and I kind of just felt 'meh' about it, I much prefered Red Alert 1+2 and original C&C. Granted compared to the later versions Tiberian Sun is an 11/10, but at the time, I wasn't ecstatic about it :p

Last on my mind right now is probably Half-Life 2, I mean, it was okay, I had fun, GotY and 96 on Metacritic though? I must've missed something :D

Delta Epsilon 04-1-2019 02:03 PM

DDLC is actually pretty average, but was overhyped to the extreme.

Zeldagurlfan1 04-25-2019 02:50 PM

mobile gaming events featuring dragons are so fucking rewarding when you complete em.

I play MergeDragons! :D
...theres one this weekend... 3 - days of grinding for prizes and dragons
this will be my 13th event..
i have work-friends who play with me! does anyone else? :)

DaBackpack 04-25-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Epsilon (Post 4669802)

marry me

mellonxcollie 04-25-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta Epsilon (Post 4669802)

I didn't even think it was average, I thought it was below average in pretty much every aspect other than the art. The game does look good and have nice characters. but the story is soooo cliche and not very captivating

DaBackpack 04-25-2019 03:20 PM

yes keep the ddlc hate coming, this pleases me

awein999 04-25-2019 04:22 PM

idle games are fun

G.S.M 04-25-2019 07:14 PM

battle royale games are lazy and garbage

roundbox 04-25-2019 10:10 PM

ddlc aka I can't read a VN longer than 2 hours

Dinglesberry 04-25-2019 10:21 PM

lmao doki doki is a free game, also its really good, saying its bad is like saying undertale is bad... if you play it blind its surprising and a decent story, same with undertale, obviously if you spoil it for yourself it'll be bad

unpopular opinion omg wow doki doki introduced people to things like visual novels, wow its so bad i wish i got refund on it xD

roundbox 04-25-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4672374)
lmao doki doki is a free game, also its really good, saying its bad is like saying undertale is bad...

not sure how these are connected at all

Dinglesberry 04-25-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4672375)
not sure how these are connected at all

half the reason its popular is because it was free so anyone could play it

if the game cost like 10$ do u really think it would have become as "hyped" as it was

Dinglesberry 04-25-2019 10:39 PM

unless you mean the undertale connection, in which i meant that theyre both shitty indie games that somehow got a cult following

mellonxcollie 04-25-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4672374)
if you play it blind its surprising and a decent story, same with undertale, obviously if you spoil it for yourself it'll be bad

I purposefully avoided spoilers because I heard it was a good game and I still found it very predictable and cliche

It was free sure but there are a lot of free VNs that are just as cliche and have just as good art work, but aren't as praised because ????

Undertale was fun either way because it still had good humour and other game elements

DaBackpack 04-25-2019 11:35 PM

undertale is pretty damn good

any comparison you'd make with ddlc is superficial

flashflash account 04-26-2019 04:43 AM

How the heck is ddlc cliche?
Like what? Did you actually play it for longer than five minutes? I'm so confused
Do I not know what a cliche is

In the context of it being a free game with 30 minutes of playtime it does a lot in that

Svaz 04-26-2019 09:07 AM

Is it unpopular to say MOBAs are boring and repetitive, or do most people think that way and I only interact with a small fanatic subset?

melonpapes 04-26-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svaz (Post 4672390)
Is it unpopular to say MOBAs are boring and repetitive, or do most people think that way and I only interact with a small fanatic subset?

only in the same way a game of chess could be considered repetitive I suppose

mellonxcollie 04-26-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4672386)
How the heck is ddlc cliche?
Like what? Did you actually play it for longer than five minutes? I'm so confused
Do I not know what a cliche is

In the context of it being a free game with 30 minutes of playtime it does a lot in that

Did you play the entire game? It took me almost exactly 4 hours total and I didn't spend that much time dicking around. It's not a 30 minute game

It's cliche because you can see the "twist" coming from a mile away. There's not enough character development in terms of actual things happening to the characters, it's just all banter. So you don't care about the characters on any deep level. So when something "serious" happens, it doesn't seem like a gripping part of the story happening to people you really care about. It comes across as cliche plot devices shoved into the story

These concepts have been done to death:
oh my god CUTE GIRLS COMBINED WITH DARK IMAGERY INCLUDING SUICIDE! SUCH A UNIQUE CONCEPT!

oh my god now the game is starting to ~MESS AROUND WITH FILES ON MY COMPUTER~ omg teehee so spooky scary and unique game play!!!!

flashflash account 04-26-2019 10:45 AM

I've never seen a game with either of those

mellonxcollie 04-26-2019 10:52 AM

You gotta play more weeaboo games dude! especially the cute girls/violence thing is really popular

flashflash account 04-26-2019 11:19 AM

weeb games in general aren't mainstream though when DDLC broke through
and tbh how did it take you four hours? I literally timed it to be 31 minutes

mellonxcollie 04-26-2019 11:35 AM

idk man, it seems like 4 hrs is right on the average wow I'm proud of myself

source: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=49377

flashflash account 04-26-2019 11:47 AM

am I crazy

roundbox 04-27-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4672402)
am I crazy

yes, the game is much longer than 30 minutes. the full ending is about that length, let alone the segments where you do actual input (poems)

just because you haven't seen a game do these things does not render them immune from being cliche
they're tropes and ideas that have occurred in several games before

and in regards to comparing ddlc to undertale:
undertale did the whole FILE DELETION and ~wHoa~ haunted game thing before it.

yes, there are other games that have done it, but here's one hot example

flashflash account 04-27-2019 06:28 AM

Oh that's right i completely forgot about that aspect of undertale because

Azpb Djbread 04-27-2019 02:28 PM

skyward sword is p rad

flashflash account 04-27-2019 02:41 PM

I don't want to live in a world where that's considered an unpopular opinion

DaBackpack 04-29-2019 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4672376)
half the reason its popular is because it was free so anyone could play it

if the game cost like 10$ do u really think it would have become as "hyped" as it was

That's pretty much exactly the problem. In a complete vacuum, Doki Doki Literature Club is average. My beef is that the hype for this game is excessive and, consequently, this shit is the face of Japanese visual novels to the majority of the West (which is quite obviously an issue). It's natural that someone like me would care and would retaliate in a hyperbolic fashion in order to counter a hyperbolic crowd reaction.

And, before someone brings it up, "it's free" is not a reason for any game to be considered good. The price should not factor into any reflection on the quality of a product, only the cost-benefit analysis of purchasing that product.

There are good things about this game. People like the art. I don't like the style, but it's professional. I actually quite enjoyed the interaction design in this game: the typical "flag" system was masked with a creative poetry construction task. This is unique and also allowed for fun foreshadowing.

The game also tricked me into thinking it might actually be good (before the hanging scene) so... I suppose that's a sign of some kind of writing.

There are numerous reasons to hate this game. The characters are bland (especially Monika, which is a huge problem since she's the most important one). As others have mentioned, any seemingly interesting thing about the game has been done more effectively before. The yandere archetype has been popular for 2 decades now. This specific kind of yandere escalation existed back in 2002 with the advent of Higurashi. Even for those outside of the anime fandom, the movie Fatal Attraction came out in 1987.

Perhaps the Monika-player relationship would be interesting if you've never seen that kind of fourth-wall-breaking before. Film and literature have both formal and informal models for how the "viewer" exists in the context of a story (e.g. transportation theory and cinematic voyeurism). Games are especially interesting in this context because the "viewer" is now an interactor and their position relative to the story is more complicated: we recognize that the "main character" is their own person but is also controlled by "the interactor", somebody who is distinctly NOT the main character. You could view DDLC as a kind of metafiction that explores this idea. However...

Metafiction in video games isn't new (Undertale did fourth-wall-breaking and file system shenanigans but actually used these elements to make a commentary about the nature of gaming as a whole).
Metafiction in visual novels isn't new (Ever17, from 2002, makes the player-character relationship the center of the entire story). Repeating routes as a narrative technique was a crucial element of Muv-Luv and several other games that I won't list because at least one user is reading them now.

So any kind of shock factor or uniqueness is lost on me because I've seen this all before (in better forms).

Of course, even if none of the singular elements of a game are novel, perhaps the interaction of these elements allows something interesting to emerge. Specifically, if all of these elements work together to produce some theme, the experience is still valuable as a holistic one.

The issue is that DDLC doesn't actually make any sense when you look at it as a whole. Everything in the story exists as a direct consequence of Monika's actions. She's aware that she's in the game and has the other characters kill themselves so that she's the only one left in the dating sim environment. First of all, this is super not convincing because Monika is so ill-defined as a character outside of her possessive, obsessive love for the player. Second of all, there's no stated or implied reason WHY Monika would even love me in the first place. It's forced. Lastly, why the fuck does this matter? What's the point?

I brought up Undertale earlier as a positive example. Undertale isn't actually trying to say that you're a bad person for killing enemies in a video game, it's trying to make sure that you actually fully understand the consequences of the actions you're taking in the gamespace. The cardinal sin in the game isn't becoming genocidal, it's endlessly resetting the game to achieve the different endings because you are toying with the fates of the characters for purely self-centered reasons. Every narrative element of the game ultimately works towards this end (roughly). The metafictional elements WORK because there's actually a good reason for them to be there.

Now back to DDLC: what was the fucking point? What kind of statement is it trying to make? A video game character falls in love with the player? What does that even mean outside of the context of the game? Answer: it means nothing because there is no point.

Doki Doki Literature Club is the videogame equivalent of a jumpscare. Everything in the game is in service of shock value. Character suicide? Shock value. Yandere? Shock value. Monika altering the game files? Shock value. What I haven't really touched on is what I think the game is actually abhorrent: it seriously discusses mental illness and treats these issues with some kind of gravity solely as a reason to provide shock value when the characters commit suicide later. It's tasteless, trashy, and evil.

And, above all, meaningless.

------------------------------------------------------

Somebody defended this game to me by saying that this game is only really some kind of demo for a larger project underway by Dan Salvato. The DDLC game files have some kind of AR scavenger hunt that acts as an advertisement for this "real game."

My response is that if you want people to play your "real game" then you should make a demo that doesn't actually suck balls.

aperson 04-29-2019 10:52 AM

lmao

PixlSM 04-29-2019 01:31 PM

werent the characters in ddlc intentionally bland and shitty to both take the piss on people who unironically like shitty dating sim vns and also to help show how lifeless and fake the world monika was living in really was

PixlSM 04-29-2019 01:32 PM

either way the game is kinda whatever but i see a lot of people who seemed to completely miss the point regardless of if they love it or hate it

flashflash account 04-29-2019 03:34 PM

idk I just thought it was fun

DaBackpack 04-29-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4672515)
werent the characters in ddlc intentionally bland and shitty to both take the piss on people who unironically like shitty dating sim vns and also to help show how lifeless and fake the world monika was living in really was

I didn't see that kind of self-awareness

and a lot of the shit that happens actively works against this agenda so even if that was true it still fails

MixMasterLar 05-4-2019 09:26 PM

I saw DDLC on Game Grumps and with Arin taking the piss out of the boring scenes and Danny absolutely losing his shit later on in the game I sure got my money's worth.

For someone who isn't versed in VNs I wasn't expecting half of that, and as a demo of sorts it made me interested in seeing a follow up

Dinglesberry 05-4-2019 10:06 PM

imagine introducing people to visual novels who would otherwise just think "wow this genre of game is terrible" wow DDLC sucks so much

mellon_collie 05-4-2019 10:20 PM

imagine thinking something being popular makes it not suck

DaBackpack 05-4-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4673290)
imagine introducing people to visual novels who would otherwise just think "wow this genre of game is terrible" wow DDLC sucks so much

the people who think "wow this genre of game is terrible" are more likely to have that opinion reaffirmed after playing the game because DDLC goes out of it's way to be """subversive""" in the most obvious ways about dating sims

DaBackpack 05-4-2019 10:28 PM

I love your attitude of "you should be THANKFUL that DDLC introduces people to a genre you like"

no, fuck that

mellon_collie 05-4-2019 10:32 PM

also I'm pretty sure most people just think japanese VNs are ~weird~ and wouldn't play them anyway, they only play the meme VNs, but OK

flashflash account 05-4-2019 10:34 PM

Yup would never be caught dead playing "normal" ones

mellon_collie 05-4-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4673296)
Yup would never be caught dead playing "normal" ones

lol ok man

roundbox 05-4-2019 10:46 PM

afaik flashflash account believes anime is inherently sexual
I don't think he's in a position to be convinced due to preconceived notions

DaBackpack 05-4-2019 11:02 PM

it's the same thing with Dream Daddy

people play it ironically, end up liking it, then saying "yeah this is an exception to the rule that dating sims are trash"

mellon_collie 05-4-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4661558)
i love you flash flash account

I TAKE THIS BACK

Charu 05-4-2019 11:31 PM

Anime was a mistake (question mark)

Funnygurl555 05-5-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4661558)
i love you flash flash account

i believe this unironically

ffa's one of my favorite twg players

DaBackpack 05-5-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4673490)
i believe this unironically

ffa's one of my favorite twg players

unpopular gaming opinion

PixlSM 05-6-2019 10:47 AM

to be fair, thinking vns are mostly trash isnt inherently wrong, since "x genre is mostly trash" is true for pretty much any genre in any medium

also umineko best vn

DaBackpack 05-9-2019 04:58 PM

ProJared was always fuckimg creepy.

G.S.M 05-10-2019 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4674140)
ProJared was always fuckimg creepy.

watched his reviews for years but now I know he is a weirdo and has a small peepee

and yes

DaBackpack 10-23-2020 11:19 PM

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is better than Mario 64 and should be held up as the gold standard of 3D platformers instead.

mi40 10-23-2020 11:58 PM

among us sucks

Bolth mannn 10-24-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4747887)
among us sucks

fuck you

T-Force 10-24-2020 12:13 AM

mi40 pretty sus right now.

Mollocephalus 10-24-2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4747887)
among us sucks

Thank you

Bolth mannn 10-24-2020 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4747890)
Thank you

Fuck you too

mi40 10-24-2020 01:57 AM

it seems i may have stated an unpopular gaming opinion