Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Brag Board (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guys, I got StepMania into AGDQ!! (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=143321)

rCaliberGX 11-29-2015 06:44 PM

Re: Guys, I got StepMania into AGDQ!!

SSH medley

Staiain 11-30-2015 02:16 PM

It's so hard to decide haha

Wayward Vagabond 11-30-2015 07:12 PM

play my legend of zelda medley. everyone loves legend of zelda

Wayward Vagabond 11-30-2015 07:17 PM

also play groundhog because the file owns and isn't too crazy but would still get a bunch of whoaoaoaoaAIAOAAaoas from the crowd

Leo137 11-30-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4379680)
I would say do ONLY vgm songs. The audience will relate to it the most.

good ol vgm songs from games like beatmania, ddr, and jubeat

PolygonEater 11-30-2015 09:48 PM

I used to play infront of people a lot, so I think I'll put down some things that seemed to get good reactions. Most of it has already been said already though.

1. Combo is extremely important. If you fail to hold combo (e.g. breaking every second) people think you're bad. People who don't play these games don't have a frame of reference, so not crushing a song makes it seem like you're getting rekt by the game, rather than pushing it farther than nearly every single other person who has tried to get good at it.
2. Talking about being bad when you screw up seems to get a good reaction from people who have some relation to rhythm games. "Lol this is bad? I can't even read it!"
3. I would personally recommend using at least 1 noisy song since it's like "Dude even the song sounds ridiculous!". Can also pull the "There aren't even normal sounding songs that have enough notes to keep up with my level of play" card. E.G. Nijuu/The Hypocrisy on rates.
4. I think rates can be used to relate your gameplay to speedrunning. Using your skill to allow you to complete songs in less time than they otherwise could be, it'd be like if speedrunners could make auto-scrollers go by faster by getting faster themselves. I was thinking of trying to get in stepmania in myself, and my idea was to make a pack of songs and play them all on rates while keeping track of the time saved or something. E.G. 40 minutes of songs completed in 25 minutes, while still getting AA.
5. If you can learn to read a mod chart that looks really cool, I think it'd be good as a finale/donation incentive if they'll allow you to have one. "So up till now, it has all been the same thing. Arrows go up the screen, and you hit the button when they line up with the ones up top. Not much to it, just getting better at doing the same thing over and over. But what if there was more to stepmania than initially thought...?" *Epic mods*

choof 11-30-2015 10:08 PM

if you do want to do an xmod chart, i'd recommend either groundhog (xoon5) or glitchcraft (smg2)

IwasAsquidOnce 11-30-2015 10:09 PM

Play the wises were wrong

L.B.D.D 11-30-2015 11:35 PM

the groundhog x-mod file looks very entertaining on an objective level, i like that suggestion

KillerScythe0 12-1-2015 12:01 AM

I'm just hyped at the fact that the community is going to get some awesome recognition! I hope things go well, as I do not have any particular ideas.
From playing in front of others, who haven't seen basically any rhythm game ever, combo is definitely the biggest thing. To put people's feelings simply, they want to see big numbers. I explained to them what exactly combo does to total score, and they seemed less interested than the fact that I can mash keys 1000 times.

I don't mean to degrade anyone who might read this that wants to become interested in FFR, SM, Osu!, etc., this is just my personal experience. So, yes, people want a good narrative, and they want to be informed. They also want to be wowed, and that is up to you.

GL Staiain

leonid 12-1-2015 12:27 AM

Play on J1 just to be safe

Dynam0 12-1-2015 07:00 AM

[Insert "Two Thouzand Combo" meme here]

Deadlyx39 12-1-2015 07:54 AM

Now I'm not sure exactly how this will work, but can more than just staiain play during this? Because another idea I had was have a person from each general skill level play a song, assuming that these people could make it to AGDQ. For example, have a person from each general skill group (using the 1-7 division scale, plus staiain because he's just on a different level). This way it shows the variety of skill level in the community. [Redacted]

AragakiAyase 12-1-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4379909)
Now I'm not sure exactly how this will work, but can more than just staiain play during this? Because another idea I had was have a person from each general skill level play a song, assuming that these people could make it to AGDQ. For example, have a person from each general skill group (using the 1-7 division scale, plus staiain because he's just on a different level). This way it shows the variety of skill level in the community.

There's only 25 minutes so that would really water it down.

Deadlyx39 12-1-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AragakiAyase (Post 4379910)
There's only 25 minutes so that would really water it down.

K nvm

AlexDest 12-1-2015 09:37 AM

i'm sure stian would have to ask the people running this event for that idea to even be considered, which i doubt it would because lol gdq staff

mrpreggers 12-1-2015 10:28 AM

rob dwire got aids by stimpy or whatever was a fun file to watch if you're able to play that
edit: this thing http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...p?songid=13332

rushyrulz 12-1-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpreggers (Post 4379930)
rob dwire got aids by stimpy or whatever was a fun file to watch if you're able to play that
edit: this thing http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...p?songid=13332

holy shit lol I'm crying

ggsnipes 12-1-2015 06:03 PM

Playing some solo files, show off how sm can work with different keymodes? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Reincarnate 12-1-2015 06:06 PM

IMO, choose things with:

1. Interesting music

2. High combo potential

3. Don't go all-out too early. Start out with some easy stuff and slowly work your way up to insane levels at the end. Make people think, "There's no way he could top this" with every song.