Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The College Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137005)

leonid 05-20-2014 03:52 AM

Re: The College Thread

CS is overrated

L.B.D.D 05-20-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4137592)
CS is overrated

yeah counterstrike is pretty lame now

Frank Munoz 05-20-2014 04:50 AM

Still at Del Mar(Corpus Christi Texas, just finished my 3rd year, gonna start my fourth this fall), being a music major.
and by "being a music major" i mean

Piano lessons [1 hour every week, practice atleast an hour a day]
Large ensemble(band) [1:30 hours every weekday, practice atleast an hour every other day]
small ensemble(Jazz) [1:30 hours every M,W,F. Practice arleast an hour every other day]
Orchestra [2 hours every week, practice atleast an hour every other day day]
Private lessons(trumpet) [1 hour every week, practice atleast one hour a day]
Music theory [1:30 hours every T,TH. study and do homework for atleast an hour every other day]
music composition lessons [1 hour every week, practice and compose atleast an hour every other day]
sight singing and ear training [1 hour every M,W,F.]
and an online core every semester [usually 5 hours for hw and studying when there are assignments]

which, this maymester i am doing hw everyday for about 8 hours. brutal
absolutely no free time. (I take a while to do core work cause i just don't understand what I am doing most of the time)
[How do I have time for a job or eating or buying necessities and my girlfriend and other shxt? I don't know, you tell me.]
This fall won't be as bad anymore being that i've finished every music core I need(woo!)

Gonna get a certificate for wielding this fall and graduate this December! (most likely)
Don't really plan on going anywhere after I finish this.
Just gonna make some easy money with hard labor and then maybe play in some groups for some side cash.
Then prolly continue my education once I actually have a car and or home and live happily ever after.

Reincarnate 05-20-2014 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-o24 (Post 4137499)
Is finance pretty bad, Rubix? Or do you just find CS to be more applicable/flexible?

-o24

I enjoy it more, that's all.

choof 05-20-2014 05:23 AM

i was gonna go comp sci but i found out that comp sec degrees are a thing

L.B.D.D 05-20-2014 05:26 AM

show your skills

Shouka 05-20-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.B.D.D (Post 4137314)
do u guys know a sophia feng

I do not.

Cavernio 05-20-2014 07:57 AM

Psychology under science. Loved it. Little job usefulness to date, but trying to change that now.

Wineandbread 05-20-2014 09:35 AM

Wao small college world

Where were da pittsburgh meetups ),:

Tidus810 05-20-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wineandbread (Post 4137656)
Wao small college world

Where were da pittsburgh meetups ),:

I dunno I've only been here since august. :\

but I did realize that I pass cmu every day on the bus. so if either of you ever take the port authority toward oakland or toward squirrel hill, there is a very real chance that we've been on the same bus before haha.

Wineandbread 05-20-2014 04:44 PM

61A-D lyfe

Tidus810 05-20-2014 04:54 PM

rofl I take c and d

Shouka 05-20-2014 06:05 PM

I only take those buses to go to Dave & Buster's. Campus is within walking distance for me as I live in Oakland.

Kekeb 05-21-2014 11:47 PM

Anybody in CS interested in academia? I guess it's not very likely when industry pays as well as it does, but I'm curious.

AutotelicBrown 05-22-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekeb (Post 4138531)
Anybody in CS interested in academia? I guess it's not very likely when industry pays as well as it does, but I'm curious.

I am.

I like it 05-22-2014 06:31 AM

I'm starting at University of Southern Indiana in the fall, but I'm not sure for what yet. I'm leaning towards a cis degree (comp info science like wat), but I seriously don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life yet. I suppose I still have a couple years to figure it all out though :mrgreen:

reuben_tate 05-22-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

I'm double majoring in math and CS with math as my primary degree. I plan to go to grad school in mathematics later...dunno what I exactly plan to do after though.

I started off just being a CS major. Then I switched to a double major whilst keeping my CS degree as my primary degree thinking that I could pick up a math degree along the way and that having some math knowledge would make me a better programmer. Then I switched my primary degree to my math degree and kept the CS degree because of the fact that CS gives me a lot of computational tools I can use when I do mathematics research.

I have plans to work with a professor later to do some CS research stuff (she specializes in bioinformatics and machine learning) so I'm going to go ahead and see how I like that.

leonid 05-22-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

I learned only one thing in my university: I do not like studying.

I'm glad I got out of my univ and I do not miss it one bit

Reincarnate 05-22-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4139061)
I learned only one thing in my university: I do not like studying.

I'm glad I got out of my univ and I do not miss it one bit

amen to that

DigitalS3r4ph 05-22-2014 09:13 PM

I tried the Comp Science thing for a bit, but then quit and moved to Pittsburgh. I'm contemplating checking out the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon though.