Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   TWG Archives (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   TWG 191: Don't Trust Your Mentor - Game Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151656)

inDheart 01-21-2020 07:52 PM

Re: TWG 191: Don't Trust Your Mentor - Game Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruPoptart (Post 4709387)
tbh I'd say they have some substance even down here, it's why I quoted all them a while back. I definitely tried to analyze them, anyway.

the substance i get is more like a different vibe

why be so eager to keep going "hey guys remember there's a game of twg here and i'm so happy to be here and also who should we lynch tomorrow" if the rest of the game isn't getting there

the post where he tried to get people to focus was like, an attempted change from the memery and i couldn't see that as blendy at all. i thought he was trying to do the me role where i yell at people to make things happen and everyone yells back that it's too early

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4709034)
SunFan throwing shade at Raeko and saying he'll have a better opinion later is gross

But you kids didn't need me to tell you that right?

MML in the town pile

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 (Post 4709038)
I literally lost 40% of my brain cells and almost projectile vomited all over my monitor reading the headline of that trash

more hyperbole

the headline is shitty yeah but the repeated hyperbole/strong reactions still feels insincere

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruPoptart (Post 4709058)
Could you try to put some explanation for this one? Cuz it's never a good idea to throw a random vote calling it a read without some quotes explaining why or just without some explanation whatsoever.

the random voting thing is a pretty common tactic in other major TWG/Mafia communities, it's their way of getting people talking

FFR generally subs that with shitposting

SubaruPoptart 01-21-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inDheart (Post 4709397)
the substance i get is more like a different vibe

why be so eager to keep going "hey guys remember there's a game of twg here and i'm so happy to be here and also who should we lynch tomorrow" if the rest of the game isn't getting there

the post where he tried to get people to focus was like, an attempted change from the memery and i couldn't see that as blendy at all. i thought he was trying to do the me role where i yell at people to make things happen and everyone yells back that it's too early

From what I remember not checkin back I know Charu was definitely like "hey so who's gonna throw the first punch?" Like tryna shift it as well and so I went and gathered the stuff from there to do that but lemme go back and read that stuff with this new info

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duskfall (Post 4709061)
Disagree, but the reason for my vote is that i don't really have a strong read on anyone in particular on tonal/playstyle so my vote here is because he is the person I have disagreed with most i.e. lynching 0 poster. It doesn't really help us at all going into d2 (d1?) if we lynch a 0 poster, and there is no reason to policy if it is going to be subbed for someone who will post.

It is not a massive crime to suggest lynching 0 posters obviously, loads of people do it but it is anti-town play here imo and that is the most I have to go on.

this feels like a natural foray into voting honestly -- keeping an eye on how this develops

Shadow_God_10 01-21-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4709380)
Xelnya said it better than I could

welcome to town town xel

Yeah. He said it, and he's wrong. Again.

Shadow_God_10 01-21-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4709364)
shadow, you stand accused of being a wolf
I know its apparently only 8:30 am in Ontario, but do you wanna you know
fight back against the people stealing your graham crackers?

Working on it. I'm honestly a bit tied up at work and need to focus there, so my attention isn't entirely over here

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 08:05 PM

actually I think I've got it

it's a common trope in detective fiction, but also a part of guilt and human psychology

It's when the culprit of a crime wants to be continually attuned to the investigative process in order to... not be taken by surprise by certain results. And on top of that, by keeping yourself inserted into the discourse surrounding the crime, you are mitigating your own stress levels, limiting the potential of you making a big blunder down the line when you are called to the stand.

There are actually a number of psychological benefits to this kind of strategy. It's where the adage "the culprit always returns to the scene of the crime" comes from. Imagine if wolf-Shadow was less of a voice so far, and he didn't get attention until the end of the phase. He'd have a very hard time fighting against that accumulated suspicion. When you're active and opening yourself to scrutiny, you're in a state of safely testing the waters, "hiding in plain sight" as to avoid the UtR read, and calming your own guilty conscience.

That's the specific feeling I'm getting, the one I called "excess enthusiasm" and "being a a 12 year-old boy trying to seem mature."

Duskfall 01-21-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4709405)

it's a common trope in detective fiction, but also a part of guilt and human psychology

It's when the culprit of a crime wants to be continually attuned to the investigative process in order to... not be taken by surprise by certain results. And on top of that, by keeping yourself inserted into the discourse surrounding the crime, you are mitigating your own stress levels, limiting the potential of you making a big blunder down the line when you are called to the stand.

There are actually a number of psychological benefits to this kind of strategy. It's where the adage "the culprit always returns to the scene of the crime" comes from. Imagine if wolf-Shadow was less of a voice so far, and he didn't get attention until the end of the phase. He'd have a very hard time fighting against that accumulated suspicion. When you're active and opening yourself to scrutiny, you're in a state of safely testing the waters, "hiding in plain sight" as to avoid the UtR read, and calming your own guilty conscience.

That's the specific feeling I'm getting, the one I called "excess enthusiasm" and "being a a 12 year-old boy trying to seem mature."

I will have one of what he is having

mellon_collie 01-21-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4709405)

seems fluffy

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 08:08 PM

Shadow_God's awkward interjections and seemingly artificial zeal feels like that guy who keeps coming back to the scene of the crime, the guy who makes an effort to stay in the spotlight (but not in the MIDDLE of the spotlight), to maintain that feeling of peace.

But I can see through that

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellon_collie (Post 4709407)
seems fluffy

do you think I'm lying? or am I just being dramatic?

Duskfall 01-21-2020 08:11 PM

You are trying to be way too big brain here and over complicating whatever you are trying to say

SubaruPoptart 01-21-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4709409)

Dramatic yes, but still useful nevertheless

mellon_collie 01-21-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4709409)

not lying but being dramatic/fake is more accurate

you didn't say anything that is an outright lie, but what you said doesn't seem related to this specific game. It seems like something you would just say to say something aka fluffy

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 08:13 PM

In TWG/Mafia terms, you look for characters that are super controlling and have a strong presence, but also don't feel like they're actually guiding town in the right direction. (At the upper levels of play, that is.) I do it all the time as wolf. It makes me feel good to be a town leader as wolf because there are fewer chances for other players to make charges against me. When I control town, that uneasiness, or disturbance of peace fades, because I am making the game less volatile against myself.

This is Shadow's version of that. He's a newer player and isn't in the mindset of controlling other people yet, but the feeling I get from him is one I empathize with a lot as a wolf. The more "involved" you are, the less likely a CFD will land on you, and the less likely you are to be hero'd by a real town player.

TWGma 01-21-2020 08:14 PM

Might want to take like 10% off there, bud.

Duskfall 01-21-2020 08:14 PM

Doesn't seem like dbp needs to fluff here, he hasn't been struggling to out content which is the only reason mafia feel forced to fluff, so idt this fluff is scummy or forced if that makes sense.

DaBackpack 01-21-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellon_collie (Post 4709412)
not lying but being dramatic/fake is more accurate

you didn't say anything that is an outright lie, but what you said doesn't seem related to this specific game. It seems like something you would just say to say something aka fluffy

I'm trying to relate this feeling I have but it's almost an entirely tonal thing