Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "The Museum of DDR Simfile History" (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=146729)

Wayward Vagabond 02-18-2017 11:01 PM

Re: "The Museum of DDR Simfile History"

This is super sweet

lurker 02-18-2017 11:57 PM

oh shit what

MixMasterLar 02-19-2017 02:40 AM

Dude that's awesome that you're willing to go through all the trouble

Xozel 02-19-2017 04:40 AM

oh shit old files oh god
tbh i'd be down to be a mirror as well but my site might be down for some time until i renew so

Shuey 02-19-2017 04:59 AM

I'm re-thinking how I'd like to share these files (especially since I've had issues with ISPs in the past)... What options are there where I can directly share the files (bypassing a middle-man)? If I'm not mistaken, I think I can create a torrent and share it without using a public OR private tracker - I think there's an option to allow a torrent client to be its own tracker, and then I just need to provide you guys with the IP and port number of my host.

If someone is interested in sending me a large enough thumb drive and the money to cover the cost of shipping it back, I'd be happy to do it that way as well. I'll be double-checking the size of my collection later today, but I'm fairly certain it would all fit on a 64gb thumb drive.

I also updated my first post with a link to my old website archive.

Bonus 1: Here's a fun little piece of history!
Bonus 2: And another! (give it time to load all the link images!)

foxfire667 02-19-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuey (Post 4521654)
I think I can create a torrent and share it without using a public OR private tracker - I think there's an option to allow a torrent client to be its own tracker, and then I just need to provide you guys with the IP and port number of my host.

If someone is interested in sending me a large enough thumb drive and the money to cover the cost of shipping it back, I'd be happy to do it that way as well. I'll be double-checking the size of my collection later today, but I'm fairly certain it would all fit on a 64gb thumb drive.

Creating a torrent and not sharing it everywhere should be plenty fine honestly, but I'll try whatever you put out.

If that doesn't work right, if you have a way to send money to you I could just give you like $20 and you can have the drive shipped to your house and then mail it to me. Maybe I could have Amazon ship one out to you from my account, they probably would let me do that.

Shuey 02-19-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxfire667 (Post 4521657)
Creating a torrent and not sharing it everywhere should be plenty fine honestly, but I'll try whatever you put out.

If that doesn't work right, if you have a way to send money to you I could just give you like $20 and you can have the drive shipped to your house and then mail it to me. Maybe I could have Amazon ship one out to you from my account, they probably would let me do that.

I've got the drive hooked up and am cataloging it right now. It was more than I previously remembered (it's about 73GB total). So you'd either need a 128GB thumb drive, or 64GB would still be fine if you end up not grabbing everything (which shouldn't be a problem at all because quite a few gigs are consumed by stuff you probably wouldn't want anyway; office mix stuff, miscellaneous file, etc).

As soon as the catalog is finished building, I'll upload the database file to my Google Drive so people can download it and browse an offline version of the museum. For anyone interested in doing this, here is the FREE software you'll need in order to view the catalog:
Disk Explorer Professional

I'll update this thread with a link to the catalog as soon as it's finished building.

foxfire667 02-19-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuey (Post 4521660)
I'll update this thread with a link to the catalog as soon as it's finished building.

I'd prefer to not go 128GB since I plan to keep using the stick. Seems like there is a reliability drop off or a big price increase for 64GB to 128GB. Again though, before we jump straight to buying flash drives, even just diving up the data semi randomly and uploading it, or setting up a torrent should be easier, cheaper, and take less time.

I'll check your catalog when it's finished though and see if you have packages which are already mirrored, so trim any fat if possible.

Reincarnate 02-19-2017 09:19 AM

One counternote to that: There are currently live packs that are technically incomplete or incorrect (one obvious / notable example being BMR's Originals, which are missing a fair number of files overall, and have the wrong charts for others). (for this reason I'm +1 on the torrent idea)

Other examples being aperson / Reach packs, a few others I'm spacing out on at the moment, etc.

Shuey 02-19-2017 09:46 AM

Here's the catalog!

Be patient, it's 550MB (although that probably only takes a couple minutes for most people, lol)

foxfire667 02-19-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 4521669)
One counternote to that: There are currently live packs that are technically incomplete or incorrect (one obvious / notable example being BMR's Originals, which are missing a fair number of files overall, and have the wrong charts for others). (for this reason I'm +1 on the torrent idea)

Other examples being aperson / Reach packs, a few others I'm spacing out on at the moment, etc.

Oh right, some of the packs being in different states of completion makes this a little muddy. It would be in our best interest to just download at all and do some wading.

Also I did I little skimming in this catalog and holy cow, there is a lot of content in here. The sheer number of originals packages is astounding! This probably is something best left to a long sitting seed.

choof 02-19-2017 10:13 AM

a better way to show off the catalog would simply be to shift right click in the folder that has all of the pack folder (so say it's Museum/Packs, you'd hold shift and right click in Museum), open command prompt, and type tree > museum.txt. upload it to pastebin or google drive
that way we don't have to download a 550mb file and use what looks like a virus to view said 550mb file.

Shuey 02-19-2017 10:17 AM

choof: I hear ya with regards to outputting via cmd (that's how I USED to do it way back when I was still collecting). But nothing beats being able to browse it just like you would if the drive was connected to your PC. And with internet speeds nowadays, you'll actually save yourself time in the long run by just downloading the catalog and viewing it natively instead of via a big nasty text file ;).

choof 02-19-2017 10:22 AM

yeah I was just trying to be safe
the catalog viewer is fine, I think it's actually kinda kitsch lol

Reincarnate 02-19-2017 10:26 AM

Wow, wow, wow, this catalog is amazing -- there's a ton of stuff in here (and as suspected it does contain several of the missing files, and very likely has the correct versions)

choof 02-19-2017 10:29 AM

I'm interested in seeing what kind of shenanigans this museum could potentially foster

foxfire667 02-19-2017 10:32 AM

Yeah I can confirm this program is pretty neat, even if the size to get just the catalog is rather outlandish. Takes like a few minutes to download even with average speeds these days.

Anyone actually paranoid about the program itself for whatever reason, I already installed and ran it. Nothing wrong with it.

Reincarnate 02-19-2017 10:36 AM

I kinda like the explorer -- certainly more interesting than just a raw text dump (and you can see the graphic previews, which is kinda cool)

contrapatior 02-19-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 4521686)
I kinda like the explorer -- certainly more interesting than just a raw text dump (and you can see the graphic previews, which is kinda cool)

explains why it's so big
cache these hands, boi

Snapps 02-20-2017 02:09 AM

I wish I had my collection to upload. I think it was 35k files or so.

shuey to the rescue.