Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ugh, my job SUCKS. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=113823)

MrRubix 11-15-2009 04:14 PM

Re: Ugh, my job SUCKS.

Show more cleavage -- it seems to work for the ladies.

Really though, I don't know where you work, but most people I know don't screw people out of a tip unless they're ****ing up in the first place. Most people tip between 10-15% from what I've observed (I personally tip 15% minimum because it's easy to calculate and it's usually reasonable, and 20% if they exceeded expectations). If you're only getting 9 bucks tip cumulatively, are you doing a good job at work or are you slow/screwing up something often/being rude to customers/whatever?

If the fault lies in a cheap customer base for some reason, find a different job -- you should be earning more than that if you're doing your job well.

Kibblre 11-15-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3289353)
=/

It's not uncommon in message boards for people to form a sense of community. Every thread in ffya where people vent about their life or ask for advice gets helpful consolation and advice in return. It really says something about the quality of the forum if this is the standard thought process.

To be fair, Guru bitching about low tips when he should be grateful to just have a job is a bit silly.

What you say is true, but for some odd reason it's just extremely easy to flame on Guru's little problems.

MrGiggles 11-15-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3289354)
I'm a busboy.

You make 100$ tips? Somebody ****ing kill me..I thought about quitting but it took me three weeks to get this job since I quit the last one. (You all remember the last thread?)

Ah, well busboys usually make more wages, while waiters/waitresses get more tips. So it helps smooth out the earnings gap.

But in general, wait staff do make more than buspeople.

EDIT: also, I live in an extremely affluent area and the restaurant is extremely popular despite being.... cheap is a good word for it.

When I bus I usually make around $35 in tips if I bus the whole place solo and half that if I have a second busperson helping.

dandandamdandan1111 11-15-2009 04:16 PM

dude i made 70 bucks easy being a busboy in a really small restaurant

MrRubix 11-15-2009 04:16 PM

Consider this, Guru: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0032650AAIZWnd

Sounds like you may have to take it up with the wait staff.

ananana 11-15-2009 04:17 PM

You complain too much.

MrGiggles 11-15-2009 04:19 PM

The way it works where I work is that the waitstaff gives %15 total tips to the person who helps them bus. So it's unlikely it's Guru's fault, really. After all, most people assume wait staff are the sole recipient of their tips.
Quote:

dude i made 70 bucks easy being a busboy in a really small restaurant
tips alone or total earnings?
EDIT: and how many hours?

GG_Guru 11-15-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRubix (Post 3289356)
Show more cleavage -- it seems to work for the ladies.

Really though, I don't know where you work, but most people I know don't screw people out of a tip unless they're ****ing up in the first place. Most people tip between 10-15% from what I've observed (I personally tip 15% minimum because it's easy to calculate and it's usually reasonable, and 20% if they exceeded expectations). If you're only getting 9 bucks tip cumulatively, are you doing a good job at work or are you slow/screwing up something often/being rude to customers/whatever?

If the fault lies in a cheap customer base for some reason, find a different job -- you should be earning more than that if you're doing your job well.

Busboys only get tipped 1-3%. I work harder than any other busboy I'm usually the fastest yet here I am busting my ass for low minimum even though I should be making more. I guess it's the job that sucks, not my work habits.

(How do you tip bussers 20% thats wayyy more than you should be giving?)

i love you 11-15-2009 04:20 PM

You will probably be better off working at a food store instead of being a busboy at a restaurant since apparently it's not getting you anywhere.

Kibblre 11-15-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3289367)
Busboys only get tipped 1-3%. I work harder than any other busboy I'm usually the fastest yet here I am busting my ass for low minimum even though I should be making more.

Solution: New job.

/thread.

MrRubix 11-15-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3289367)
Busboys only get tipped 1-3%. I work harder than any other busboy I'm usually the fastest yet here I am busting my ass for low minimum even though I should be making more.

I didn't know you were a busboy when I made that post -- I usually tip the waiters 15-20%, depending. I honestly never see busboys, really. I've usually only got one person taking care of my table.

mellonxcollie 11-15-2009 04:25 PM

I work at a movie theatre concession for minimum wage. I often do things like help customers carry their food to their seats and go to great lengths sometimes to help them get what they want but very, very rarely get tipped.

WHY WOULD YOU TIP SOMEONE YOU DONT HAVE TO RIGHT???

dandandamdandan1111 11-15-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3289366)
tips alone or total earnings?
EDIT: and how many hours?

well i got 4.50 an hour(under) and only like 6-7 hours a night. the lowest i actually got was 40 and it was really slow that night. oh and there was a separate dishwasher

GG_Guru 11-15-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3289360)
Ah, well busboys usually make more wages, while waiters/waitresses get more tips. So it helps smooth out the earnings gap.

But in general, wait staff do make more than buspeople.

EDIT: also, I live in an extremely affluent area and the restaurant is extremely popular despite being.... cheap is a good word for it.

When I bus I usually make around $35 in tips if I bus the whole place solo and half that if I have a second busperson helping.

It bugs me that servers get tipped and don't have to carry **** around, wipe tables, wipe the floors, and all they do is pick up plates off tables and serve their food yet bussers do almost all the dirty work and still get off with less than a tenth of percentage off the servers tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 3289378)
I work at a movie theatre concession for minimum wage. I often do things like help customers carry their food to their seats and go to great lengths sometimes to help them get what they want but very, very rarely get tipped.

WHY WOULD YOU TIP SOMEONE YOU DONT HAVE TO RIGHT???

That's what pisses me off, earlier today my co-worker got stiffed as well and it was a party of 7 people I think? Left a bunch of **** on the table and didn't tip him squat. Zip. Nada. A WHOLE rack of plates and glasses stacked up. Napkins on the floor, food on the seats, etc.

I was just as mad because he asked me to bus the table but I can imagine how he felt.

norsegod666 11-15-2009 04:30 PM

Let me get this straight..you are bitching about your job when 10% of Americans are unemployed..nice..

MrRubix 11-15-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3289382)
It bugs me that servers get tipped and don't have to carry **** around, wipe tables, wipe the floors, and all they do is pick up plates off tables and serve their food yet bussers do almost all the dirty work and still get off with less than a tenth of percentage off the servers tips.

So apply to be a server?

GG_Guru 11-15-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRubix (Post 3289385)
So apply to be a server?

They said they're moving me up once I turn 18 but that wont be for another 3 months.
=/

I need the cash now because I just got my license and I'm trying to get this car before February so...I can't quit. Or else it's back to that again. Yeah, so I think this thread had enough for today.

For those of you that listened thanks I really appreciate it. :)

MrGiggles 11-15-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3289382)

I can assure you, waiting is just as hard, if not harder, than bussing. It's a bit less physical, though.

It varies from restaurant to restaurant too. In addition to standard bus work, buspeople here have to bring complimentary bread and water (and cut the bread and bring the ice in for the water), sweep inside and outside, fill the drink cooler, and basically pick up whatever slack is needed most at the moment. Wait staff are pretty much busy the whole time simply getting orders, inputting orders, taking out food, dealing with bills, and counting the money at the end of the night.

foilman8805 11-15-2009 04:36 PM

Yeah, you definitely did get stiffed today, but I bet another day you'll get tipped pretty well and that'll make up for it. At least you work a job where you get your normal wage on top of tips. When I worked in the summer, I busted my ****ing ass 8+ hours a day doing a maintenance and repair job just to make $10 an hour.

leonid 11-15-2009 04:39 PM

lol I've never got any real jobs
gj at having life