Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Win 5 dollars. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=123567)

leonid 04-19-2012 05:32 PM

Re: Win 5 dollars.

put the egg inside a tenga and drop
wait that's probably too heavy too

darkshark 04-19-2012 06:08 PM

Build cube cage out of popsicle sticks and gorilla glue.
Suspend egg with rubber bands.

As long as the rubber bands are stretched tightly enough, that egg won't hit anything at all. Obviously create slings from the rubber bands (could be out of any material) so that it cradles the egg evenly.

A popsicle stick weighs 1.49 grams, gives you quite a bit of room to work with. I would even go as far as cutting notches in the popsicle sticks where they can link together at the corners, that way the tensile forces of the rubber bands also help keep the structure together at impact.

Hateandhatred 04-19-2012 06:17 PM

attach it to a helium filled balloon. watch it slowly hover down and land like a butterfly.

Then for dramatic effect, ask the evaluator if he's mad.

Gravity Kitten 04-19-2012 06:31 PM

shayne wit dat cinema 4d swag

but ye everything he said would work
i only want him to win because he's already richer than all of you.

leonid 04-19-2012 07:14 PM

attach a micro homing missile so the egg tracks and smashes into the teacher's face

Hateandhatred 04-19-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 3679466)
attach a micro homing missile so the egg tracks and smashes into the teacher's face

We have a winner

Izzy 04-19-2012 07:49 PM

Use a hammer to break everyone elses eggs. There's no way the teacher would fail everyone.

midnghtraver 04-19-2012 08:39 PM

The helium thing is ****ing genius. I Am doing that.

UserNameGoesHere 04-19-2012 10:41 PM

Except grams are a unit of mass, NOT weight. Adding helium would decrease the weight, NOT the mass. Didn't they teach this? Although if your teacher is lazy you may slip by with it but a good teacher would penalize (and disqualify) for that.

Go with darkshark's design or justin_ator's design or some hybrid of the two.

who_cares973 04-19-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkshark (Post 3679435)

Build cube cage out of popsicle sticks and gorilla glue.
Suspend egg with rubber bands.

As long as the rubber bands are stretched tightly enough, that egg won't hit anything at all. Obviously create slings from the rubber bands (could be out of any material) so that it cradles the egg evenly.

A popsicle stick weighs 1.49 grams, gives you quite a bit of room to work with. I would even go as far as cutting notches in the popsicle sticks where they can link together at the corners, that way the tensile forces of the rubber bands also help keep the structure together at impact.

depending on the height of the drop the popsicles will break.

rushyrulz 04-19-2012 10:42 PM

If your teacher lets you use helium, I quit.

who_cares973 04-19-2012 10:51 PM

i hope he could use helium thatd be awesome

top 04-19-2012 10:57 PM

the teacher never specified that he couldn't use any form of gas, i'd say he's in the clear.

good luck midnghtraver

rushyrulz 04-19-2012 10:57 PM

*egg floats to the ceiling

good game physics

hi19hi19 04-19-2012 11:01 PM

A helium balloon attached to the egg causing the entire apparatus to be at just under neutral buoyancy would work wonderfully.
Imagine an egg just gently falling down a few inches per minute. Two hours later it gently touches down without a sound. Problem, teacher?

One large US egg has a mass of approximately 60 grams. Use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of helium required to counteract that mass (leaving a little room for the mass of the balloon membrane and attachment) and see if the mass of a helium balloon of that size falls within your project maximums. I don't think it will, but hey it would be a fun science exercise to go ahead and check- I'd PV=nRT for you but hey, this is your class not mine :p

Tidus810 04-19-2012 11:02 PM

Actually if your dad/uncle/anybody is a handyman of sorts, they should have styrofoam spray-on insulation. It has a very small mass, since it's very aerated and works beautifully. If anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about and can maybe describe it better that'd be great haha.

UserNameGoesHere 04-19-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top (Post 3679605)
the teacher never specified that he couldn't use any form of gas, i'd say he's in the clear.

good luck midnghtraver

Err, except gas has mass. You'd actually be adding more total mass, not less. Mass not equals weight. Basically everything I said in the previous post.

If the teacher doesn't at least mark off points if not outright disqualify (grade of F) for using helium to "decrease mass", he/she is a bad (I'm assuming physics) teacher because it doesn't decrease mass.

--edit--
or do what hi19hi19 said if you're really set on this helium thing, but make sure to show all your calculations and work to prove it is within the specified mass allowance.

hi19hi19 04-19-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus810 (Post 3679612)
Actually if your dad/uncle/anybody is a handyman of sorts, they should have styrofoam spray-on insulation. It has a very small mass, since it's very aerated and works beautifully. If anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about and can maybe describe it better that'd be great haha.

This shit?

I'd think you want shock insulation, not heat insulation. There's a difference- many types of heat insulation wind up quite hard when they dry.

top 04-19-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere (Post 3679618)
Err, except gas has mass. You'd actually be adding more total mass, not less. Mass not equals weight. Basically everything I said in the previous post.

If the teacher doesn't at least mark off points if not outright disqualify (grade of F) for using helium to "decrease mass", he/she is a bad (I'm assuming physics) teacher because it doesn't decrease mass.

oh..right :x i guess it wouldn't be the greatest idea. he could try, but if it were me i wouldn't even risk getting into a debate about how there's still mass but the teacher didn't technically say i couldn't "decrease" the mass...

teachers hate being challenged, i would just stay the heck away from the helium lol

justin_ator 04-19-2012 11:09 PM

For real though, find out if you can do a balloon with helium. If so, you win. I doubt it though, so have a backup plan to kinda get something thrown together. If you can make darkshark's design into more of a pyramid and come up with a parachute attachment like mine, it'd probably be light enough and slow enough to keep it all together, etc.

EDIT: It's not even a "Let's decrease the mass/weight with helium" thing, if you have helium in a balloon, and it weighs 70 grams, I'd say there is a good chance that'll probably have a decent impact on how fast the egg is actually falling, meaning it's farrrr more likely to survive a fall.