Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Fitness Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=125290)

UserNameGoesHere 08-15-2012 05:50 PM

Re: The Fitness Thread

Some of you are amazingly fit, and congratulations on your efforts and enjoy your bodily rewards.

I have lost quite a bit of fat weight, then put put a bit back on (but not nearly as much as I lost). I need to get back at it and lose more. And I need to get into weightlifting. I'm sure I could get pretty strong if I just tried at it but I hardly do and I need to stop being lazy about it.

Also I hear they're pretty much conflicting goals -- fat weight loss and muscle building since you need the calories for muscle building (well, at least lots of protein and stuff with protein has calories) vs trying to cut calories and more exercise for fat loss.

What I've done is severely reduced high fructose corn syrup intake (I don't buy foods with it, but if I'm out somewhere or at somebody's house, who knows -- food probably has it), eliminated sodas entirely, and go for long walks a lot. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the long walk thing for a while due to roadwork/construction in the area and closed-off sidewalks and I really hope they finish that soon because I've been putting on weight in the meantime.

Poison- 08-15-2012 06:00 PM

Wasn't feeling well today, but decided to workout anyways. Turned out to be a bad idea as I threw up. Still finished my workout though.

Senip 08-15-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelrunner26 (Post 3748083)
I can't believe I just found this thread...it's like my two favorite things to do on the internet have combined. I've been into body building/general fitness as a lifestyle for the past 3 years. I ran cross/track all through middle and high school, took a year off, and decided to put on some mass. I went from 160 lbs. to 205 lbs. from July 2010 to February 2012, keeping my bf under 10% for essentially the whole time (minus one month when working out had to be put on standby due to school/work). I'm currently trying to get back to running, which means losing weight. Ideally I'll be about 185 at 5-6% bf in October/November for a couple of races I want to do.

I've worked in a gym for 2+ years, and I am fairly in-touch with the supplement industry if anybody has any questions about that sort of thing :P

For those of you trying to lose weight...never EVER stress about the numbers, especially those on the scale. Weigh yourself once every 7-10 days at roughly the same time, wearing the same clothes, eating similarly the night before, etc. Weighing yourself every day is always just an exercise in frustration, because the body is incredibly prone to fluctuation on a daily basis (I can vary as much as 8 pounds, just from water weight/timing of meals).

One of the big things that has helped me stay lean...Every night at supper, I only eat one plate. If I'm quite hungry, I put a big more on. If I'm not so hungry, I put a bit less on. Regardless of the amount, I only ever eat one plate of food. Going back for seconds can easily turn into far more calories than originally intended.

Also, drink water. Lots of water. I started drinking at least a gallon/day 3 years ago, and I never looked back. You feel absolutely incredible.

Just keep things simple until they become routine. If you go in focused on the numbers (at least 95% of people I've worked with), you will almost always get frustrated/overwhelmed. Tweak your breakfast for a week, then change a snack, then a lunch, etc. Just a change or two every 5-7 days will make the whole process much more bearable. You can't ever think of it as a diet...you have to adopt a new lifestyle.

And if you ever have an uncontrollable craving for a cheeseburger...go have one! Cravings = your body telling you that you need something in that food (whether it be more fat, protein, whatever). Just be reasonable about it and don't go for the 4-patty stacker lol.

/general fitness rant.

^^ Also if you do cheat meals, it'll reset your leptin levels, and make you burn faster.

205 at below 10% is beasting, dude. I know bodybuilders who are at the 212 range that look like theyre in the 250s.

Also:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...Building-Tips/

SCWolf 08-15-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3748037)
Cavernio:

from your citation:

Weight loss/gain is as simple as energy in/energy out. Eating is nothing more than mass assimilation, and moving around requires energy which is drawn from that mass. Use up more energy than you're putting in, you get a net loss in mass. Assimilate more mass than you're burning off? You see a net gain in mass. It works that way for everyone. When people's bodies have serious trouble absorbing food/burning energy otherwise, they become very ill and/or die.

It's biology, yes, but math is what lets you dictate your diet parameters so you can control healthy weight loss (e.g. set your calories too low and you risk burning muscle too). Either way, it's a pretty inescapable conclusion: You operate at a deficit, you lose weight.

Genetics/external variables play a role, but I think people allocate too much blame there. The other day I actually had this discussion with one of my girlfriend's friends (who is overweight) who was telling me that she has a condition that makes her body hold onto fat for dear life, making it hard for her to lose weight (so she has this weird fiber-laden, gluten-free diet or something, don't remember). Fast forward an hour later and she's gone through an entire ream of crackers plus a slice of pizza and a Coke. Something tells me her genetics aren't her main problem, here.

Even when you think about it in evolutionary frameworks, it just makes plain sense as to why we're all getting fatter: We move less, and eat more -- especially during a small sliver of time when our bodies haven't adjusted that much from earlier times when food was harder to come by and we had to work harder for it. Nowadays it's easy to get big portions of unhealthy, nutrient-devoid crap at every corner.

You got it.

Poison- 08-15-2012 07:59 PM

Some chick that works at the gym I go to just called me...wtf how did she get my number...
And I don't just mean as in called as an employee from the gym...if you know what I mean.

SCWolf 08-15-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 3748238)
Some chick that works at the gym I go to just called me...wtf how did she get my number...
And I don't just mean as in called as an employee from the gym...if you know what I mean.

She wants the peen.

Poison- 08-15-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWolf (Post 3748248)
She wants the peen.

What makes it more odd is that she's seen me there working out with my girlfriend before...oh well.

I don't know if it was the creatine that made me feel sick today during my workout, but throwing up during a workout sucked...

SCWolf 08-15-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 3748254)
What makes it more odd is that she's seen me there working out with my girlfriend before...oh well.

I don't know if it was the creatine that made me feel sick today during my workout, but throwing up during a workout sucked...

Creatine shouldn't have side effects typically. Besides water retention. Possible though. Keep running it, if it continues, try coming off.

Senip 08-15-2012 08:25 PM

Like SCWolf said, keep at it, if you keep getting sick, then you know...

But if you feel bad, dont go into the gym. Don't try to "sweat the sickness out". You'll set yourself back. It took me a long time to figure that out...

Reach 08-15-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 3747998)
You didn't read the link. Trying to respond intelligently to less than 1% of what someone says is pretty funny.

I've read an extensive body of research on obesity. You can't throw one paper in my face and act like it embodies the entire spectrum of research on the subject.

It's also amusing that you assume I didn't read the paper because I (ostensibly) disagree with what you believe.

The entire body of physiological research on fat storage and usage agrees with my statement. Negative energy balance leads to fat loss. It is an inexorable consequence. Research has shown that fat people burn more calories than their thinner counterparts. The larger you get, the more energy you need to consume to maintain your size. Getting fat is therefore no accident.

I don't really get the issue here; I'm not disagreeing with the existence of genetic factors or obesogens. A million and one factors *contribute* to the obesity epidemic. Obviously they exist, but they are not in any way causal factors. The causal factor is ultimately self infliction.

I have shoulder tendinitis. This makes it incredibly hard for me to train shoulders, so I'm at a disadvantage in that department. So, I could chalk up my weak shoulders to an inherent disadvantage I have or, you know, actually put in some work to fix the problem.

People that claim to be fat because of factors that are out of their control are uneducated on the matter and lying to themselves. There are always choices. It just happens to be the case that sometimes they're not the easy ones in life.

Making smart dietary choices can be very difficult, especially when you're surrounded by other unhealthy people. It often takes systematic changes to everything you do in life, and let's face it, many people aren't willing to do it.

blindreper1179 08-15-2012 09:50 PM

I just started that insanity workout today. Oh boy, did that suck. D: Hopefully I keep at it. (For reference I used to go to the gym about 3 days a week(Nov-Mar) but 70hr work weeks took over, leaving no time for the gym. 5'10'' 165.5. I didn't read through 10 pages, but I assume everyone gave there quick description of their build.

SCWolf 08-15-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindreper1179 (Post 3748328)
I just started that insanity workout today. Oh boy, did that suck. D: Hopefully I keep at it. (For reference I used to go to the gym about 3 days a week(Nov-Mar) but 70hr work weeks took over, leaving no time for the gym. 5'10'' 165.5. I didn't read through 10 pages, but I assume everyone gave there quick description of their build.

Good start dude. Just keep at it, eat clean, and you'll be good for it.

Senip 08-15-2012 10:11 PM

Chest and Bis today. hoohaa!

(also: http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...wkins86/xo.png, doz veins)

blindreper1179 08-15-2012 10:11 PM

Thanks. Eating clean maybe a problem. I eat very abnormally. On an average day, I eat 4 pb&j/deli meat sandwiches for lunch, and then for dinner I either don't eat, or eat a crap ton. For example, I can usually eat a large combo from McDonald's AND a happy meal. It doesn't matter how much I eat, half an hour later, I'm hungry again anyways. =/

Edit: That's sick Senip. I show no veins whatsoever. D:

SCWolf 08-15-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senip (Post 3748358)
Chest and Bis today. hoohaa!

(also: http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...wkins86/xo.png, doz veins)

That vein on your right bicep is the size of a tiny dick.

Senip 08-15-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWolf (Post 3748372)
That vein on your right bicep is the size of a tiny dick.

I'd feel more confident in myself if that dude behind me wasnt twice my size and had a smaller waist. I'm envious of people with small waists, makes me sad :p

kmay 08-15-2012 11:32 PM

senip how old are you?

Senip 08-16-2012 12:07 AM

26 :|

kmay 08-16-2012 12:10 AM

cool and reach is 25.

good news internet. we all have like 4+ years till we need to get on that band wagon

rebelrunner26 08-16-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senip (Post 3748193)
^^ Also if you do cheat meals, it'll reset your leptin levels, and make you burn faster.

205 at below 10% is beasting, dude. I know bodybuilders who are at the 212 range that look like theyre in the 250s.

Also:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...Building-Tips/

Thanks, bro

Wow, that's a good find. Definitely a good read for anybody getting into lifting (or a good refresher for those of us that feel like we know everything already--Seeing a couple of those again were definitely good for me). I'm bookmarking this one...may steal it and make a flyer of it for my gym lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWolf (Post 3748258)
Creatine shouldn't have side effects typically. Besides water retention. Possible though. Keep running it, if it continues, try coming off.

If you're having a hard time with creatine, ingest a few more carbohydrates with your doses. Creatine is best absorbed when insulin levels are elevated, and I believe that some people even have a tendency to become slightly hypoglycemic if they just take it straight. I've forgotten the exact physiology of this...just take it as accurate broscience from personal experience at the mo' though lol. Mixing it with fruit juice or eating something like a half a bagel or a slice or two of bread before/immediately after may relieve any nausea. That's how it works for me, at least.