PDA

View Full Version : Schoolbuses

mike2727
12-4-2007, 06:43 PM
Should thye have seatbelts? Discuss.

omgitznpv
12-4-2007, 06:52 PM
Don't they have seatbelts? Mine do. All of the school buses I know do.

If they have seatbelts, nobody wears them anyways- people generally tend to avoid them if they need to. If seatbelts exist on a school bus, wearing them should be enforced better.

customstuff
12-4-2007, 07:23 PM
Nah, it's better without them. Our buses don't have them by the way.

EnR
12-4-2007, 07:24 PM
lol, if we got into an accident, we wouldent get very hurt, since well, BUSES ARE HUGE, but nah seatbelts= bad, cuz i like sleep on the chairs raffle

jecht3009046
12-4-2007, 07:26 PM
The soft seat cushion in front of all but the front seats would serve just as well as a seatbelt (in the case of a head on collision). Also agree with omgitznpv. If there are seat belts on buses, wearing them should be enforced. I don't pay good tax money for useless seat belts. Then again, I don't really pay many taxes as it is...

Bre.x
12-4-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't think it matters.. Depends on how many people are on it..

Cindie
12-4-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah, seatbelts wouldn't do much, nobody would wear them anyway. Like EnR said, buses are huge! I used to think that there should be seatbelts after seeing so many accidents on TV, but to be honest i kinda think it would be stupid now, because no one would wear them, and whats the probability of them getting into an accident often?

madmatt621
12-4-2007, 08:07 PM
It's not like seat belts will stop your mouth from hitting the seat in front of you.

Cindie
12-4-2007, 08:10 PM
That's very true.. plus, if you're talking about seatbelts that juss go around your waist they don't do anything anyways.. and on the outside of the seat they wouldn't be able to put a seatbelt there that goes across your chest..

Edit: sorry for double posting.. :( my badd.. i apologizee

FontSize72LOL
12-4-2007, 08:18 PM
It wouldn't really matter too much anyway, schoolbuses are already one of the safest modes of transportation with or without seatbelts and if your packed in pretty tight you'll probably not move too much in the event of any emergencies.

Relambrien
12-4-2007, 08:57 PM
School buses use a method of damage mitigation called "compartmentalization" as a way to protect its passengers, as opposed to the restriction method used by seatbelts.

Seatbelts protect the passenger by restricting their movement in the event of an accident, so that anything they come in contact with, they do so at a much reduced speed (since the seatbelt would help you slow down considerably). Less speed = less damage.

Compartmentalization works like this: if you're standing right up against a wall on a moving vehicle and someone slams on the brakes, your body doesn't have anywhere to move anyway, so it can't move. Therefore it can't suffer damage. The body can be pressed into the wall, but because there was no real motion prior to the braking, there is no damage. School buses work this way by utilizing the seats, windows, and other passengers. When you have a person sitting on your left, a window on your right, and a seat in front of you, all very close, you don't hit them very fast in the event of an accident due to the proximity. Therefore, you don't get hurt. At least, not severely.

In fact, the vast majority of injuries and deaths related to school buses occur at loading zones, due to a bus somehow accidentally hitting the kids, a driver speeding past the bus with its sign out and hitting a kid crossing the street, or things like that.

Seat belts are just superfluous, and unnecessary. The buses in my area don't have them.

arsonistsgetallthegirls
12-4-2007, 09:01 PM
The driver is the only person who would benefit from a seatbelt.
The kid next to you and the seat in front of you work fine...

Rubin0
12-4-2007, 09:17 PM
The only serious bus accidents I've heard about are those that the driver lost control because of a heart attack or something. For the most part, people stay away from busses because they can cause more damage to you than they can cause to themselves.