PDA

View Full Version : flash flash ... good for you?!

alieraisu
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
ok, correct me if I'm totally wrong here, but I have a theory. (please excuse all spelling and grammar mistakes here, i write horribly when i'm typing) Here is my theory: playing FFR helps enhance mental processes, such as identifying patterns and encoding. I am planning on testing this hypothesis by playing the beta version for 15 minutes a day directly before studying. If I'm right about this, i will see an increase in my ability to retain information. How did I come about this? simple. Since I began playing FFR I noticed that i seemed to function slightly different after a game. I have adhd, and often have problems sifting through essential and unessential information when i study. But since playing FFR, It seems my ability to do so, which up untill now has not changed much no matter what i did, is now improving. Maby I'm just nuts, but if this sounds in the least bit valid to you, lemme know! heck, pm me if u dont wish to agree or disagree in front of the masses.

lord_carbo
09-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Good theory. DDR increases focus, so FFR probably does as well.

chickendude
09-15-2005, 06:52 PM
I play the viola, and I actually play it a whole lot better right after playing FFR

I should play FFR before lessons each week <_<

Spazzbite
09-15-2005, 06:59 PM
One thing it has really done for me was vastly improve my hand-eye coordination with whatever I'm doing, and I have a faster reaction time.

dancingmaniac3
09-15-2005, 07:02 PM
I play the viola, and I actually play it a whole lot better right after playing FFR

I should play FFR before lessons each week <_<

Same here, but i'm a violin fellow.

One thing it has really done for me was vastly improve my hand-eye coordination with whatever I'm doing, and I have a faster reaction time.

Yep, ever since i started to play FFR, my hand-eye coordination increased a hell lot. awesome.

Cj_leonine
09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
I play chess better. Maybe I just got better. But I totally agree. Way better hand-eye coord.

Desert_Eagle
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
same as chickendude & dancingmaniac3, but i play cello. does it improve your skills in FFR and DDR by being in orchestra or band? ya no, the other way around what others are saying? if it helps to play an instrument, could it help the other way around? it did a bit for me.

---Desert_Eagle

chickendude
09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
If you are really passionate about your instrument and practice a whole lot, then I guess it could make you better at FFR

frankly, I think its easier to practice FFR, than to practice my instrument <____<

Desert_Eagle
09-15-2005, 07:17 PM
i really dont practice alot, though. but i understand the beat and rhythm of music very well compared to others in my honors class (symphonic, in other words) and i usually understand better than anyone else there. so it does give me a lift to what i play, although not anymore, since my teacher doesnt teach very well to the cellos anymore. its now the "FFR helps play instrument" than vice versa.

---Desert_Eagle

---my teacher is chinese, so our hav this weird relationship with each other.

---should i start using proper grammer techniques now?

Burner03
09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Im bad at ffr though, but playing ffr for a week could help your reaction time. But i played counterstrike for 4 years straight and i never saw anything get better than me at counterstrike.

I wish to beable to finish the hardest level on R2 by the end of next month.

Not sure how to do it though, i just cant read and time all those arrows at the same time. :evil:

Desert_Eagle
09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
counter strike could help, theoretically, in war when you fight. its slightly realistic. if you get hit in the head w/ an ak47 (or whatever they call it, a "cv47"?), ur dead instantly. at least ur paranoid and spray anywhere theres noise. of course, short bursts r more accurate. (duh!!)

---Desert_Eagle

Cj_leonine
09-15-2005, 08:49 PM
How about piano?

Desert_Eagle
09-15-2005, 08:55 PM
ehh... thats kool, too. but i dont play it. it does take more coordination using a piano, but FFR trains ur beat, like, tenfold. ya concur?

---Desert_Eagle

gonzo4life44
09-15-2005, 09:49 PM
yea im a drummer so it helps out with streams and stuff but it dosent halp me play drums better. im also in drumline so that might help out a little...

alieraisu
09-17-2005, 11:44 AM
wow. i didnt expect this many people to respond. But aside from hand eye coordination, i'm more focused on whether it helps with mental processes pertaining to school...

esupin
09-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Interesting theory...Maybe it's like streching out before a game.

I'll test this today since I have to take history notes again.

180digi
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Youre right it does increase the level of hand-eye coordination. It could also help you if youre nearsighted or farsighted or other such eye problems. I know that games like FFR and action video games(Ratchet and Clank maybe) where you have to watch your enemies and shoot them and your eyes are constantly darting around the screen helps your eyes because it strengthens the muscles in there. Now if only we could get someone to prove that video games make us attractive to the opposite sex we'd be on easy street =/

Cenright
09-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Not really school, but it speeds me up for Rubik's Cube solving.

alieraisu
09-19-2005, 11:45 AM
i never even thought about strengthening eye muscles before. Anyway, my brother has a problem with auditory processing and all the experts told him to play Simon, because it would help. He hates the game tho, so he never plays it. But mebe its something like that

Desert_Eagle
09-21-2005, 04:31 PM
i dont know about stretching out your brain, it seems a little out of the way. playing strategy games help a bit more than FFR, i believe. pertaining to the idea of improving skill on your instrument w/ FFR, it could stress out your hands and arms. my hands get all twitchy, so i dont always get the right notes. however, games like DDR and ITG could do some good better than FFR.

---Desert_Eagle

*I hope Hurricane Rita makes my school close!!!*

JenovaSephiroth
09-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Not really school, but it speeds me up for Rubik's Cube solving.
You're the only person here who ever said "Solving" and "Rubik's Cube" in the same sentence. I don't know if it helped me with my solving, being that i started cubing long after I started ffr.

(Best time: 1:24.00)

Desert_Eagle
10-4-2005, 08:24 PM
did the theory work out for some of you people? we need proof that it does work, otherwise this theory goes into the toilet. we cant have such a good idea go to waste. but it has to be something useful (i.e. improve grades, reaction time with certain events, etc.). cmon ppl, be a part of a research 19 days old!!

---Desert_Eagle

iggymatrixcounter
10-4-2005, 08:45 PM
whenever I wake up I play at least 3 songs before going about my day.. it just wakes my mind up. As far as studying never tested that but for some reason playing DDR/FFR/SM has increased my ability to sight read music (play the trumpet) and recognize certain patterns

ckj846
10-5-2005, 10:30 PM
I think that just playing FFR relaxes your mind and gets you ready to take on a task. I don't necessarily think that it improves your mind and your study habits, I think that it wakes you up so that you can focus more. The more complex the steps are, the more you have to focus on the screen. Thus, when you switch from FFR to homework or whatever else, you are still focused on the task at hand. Make sense? That is just my theory about your theory.
O_o

miluardo
10-6-2005, 04:31 PM
I would have to agree aswell, i find that ffr improves my reaction timing and also allows me to perform other things better. Like my saxaphone ^.^ WAIT! I just though of something...do all the people who share and interest in FFR, share an interest in band instruments? I mean i play sax there was a viola, viloin,drummer,cello..i can't think of others but who all plays a band intrument aswell lol.

ckj846
10-6-2005, 06:16 PM
I play the alto sax. This might be just a coincidince because my friends who play FFR do not play instruments.
O_o

chickendude
10-6-2005, 09:21 PM
my hand doesn't become twitchy after playing FFR
it becomes more controlled and coordinated

to put it very bluntly

when playing viola after FFR, my MA on the viola goes up <___<. Also, it helps with not having your fingers stick to each other, or refuse to come up while the other goes down (hello trills)
viola also made me half decent at left hand trills >__>

purplepopcorn
10-8-2005, 01:51 PM
all CS ever tought me is that you can run faster when you carry a knife.

but seriously, ffr and sm does help you're coordination (besides that tiny thing called carpal tunnel). but it helps me to play sm and get psyched for somthing.

Gleb
10-9-2005, 09:31 AM
i also play the alto sax and learning guitar. i think its all coincidence that most of us play instruments.

Games like FFR and counter strike do help us out with overall hand eye corrdination. It also gives us the ablity to track multiple moving objects all at once, which the army really favors.

Ever heard of America's Army? its a first person shooter that the army funded. A HUGE load of recruits sign up from the game's website. Their goal is to have more people that are able to play FPS games cuz it helps with general combat. Crazy huh? (i heard all this on the news)

techno_music_lover
10-22-2005, 03:31 PM
i sux at ffr but i still play it not to long ago i realized that it could reely help me with my guitar playing when i have to finger pick. and for the mental part it probly helps u if u play ffr right before u study specially if u have adhd. because say if u go and play vollyball of sumin active. then i have to calm down before u study. so playing ffr would calm u down. or if u cum home from sckool and ur parents make u do homework right away just playing ffr would let u relax before u did work again so thats probly why sum ppl do better at things after they play ffr. (and for the instrument ppl it just warms up ur fingers.)

Elire
11-7-2005, 05:13 PM
I swear, my digital media teacher (just walked by - panic button time) should not tell me off for playing FFR in class.. It's 100% benefitial, and has no consequences, other than addiction. Hand-eye co-ordination, processive thinking, etc etc. It should be a class on it's own. O.o