PDA

View Full Version : The Chat. Why oh why!

Patricoo
11-25-2004, 10:51 AM
So our wonderful yet seemingly pointless Chat has run into another snag/glitch. Most of you forum people won't know me becuase I exist only in the Real Time era of FFR.

Yet in the chat it always seems down, full of spammer, idiots and people who just leave the screen on and play X-box, which leads to my question...

How does it work? Do the moderators have sceduales or do they just kind of show up? Do people actually CARE about the chat or is it just kind of there because people easily manipulate it? Is this post even in the right topic area?

Again forgive me. I'm 4 days away from having an account for a whole year and I hardly toutch the forum.

So whats the deal with it? Will the easily manipulatable features be changed? I'd love to see that. I would then come to whoever fixes the chat personally and give them....I dunno...a box of donuts and a bag of rolos. Or...something.

ImEric12
11-25-2004, 11:13 AM
The chat is programmed by jasonkey, so we can't change the features. Moderators come and go as they please. This topic has been discussed a lot lately, and basically, there is nothing we can do at the moment, although LD said he's been working on something for the chat.

Patricoo
11-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Oh thats good to hear from LD. And it all seems logical. It still doesn't answer the question if the chat is thought of just another abused feature or a major part of FFR

If it is major then it seems lately there has been a shortage of mods appearing. I would like to see 2 more pop up. (To do the same job as the others, because if there is a mod in a room they do a great job.) There has to be list of potentials somewhere.

Yanah_God
11-25-2004, 12:49 PM
The chatroom has no point. Nobody chats about FFR and it likely eats up a LOT of cash to keep going. Plenty of other chatrooms exist (too many, perhaps). Just get rid of it and EVERYONE will be a lot happier. And the people who enjoy that chatroom don't count.

ImEric12
11-25-2004, 01:55 PM
The chat room isn't hurting anyone. It could, however, use more mods, as suggested above.

lightdarkness
11-25-2004, 02:04 PM
There always seems to be mods in there, but the thing is there are many exploits in the chat program, that we can't do anything about, because we can't edit the source code.

DJRiDDeR-R2
11-25-2004, 03:24 PM
*cough*Use an IRC Chat Webbased Java Client... ;-), I use it and 40people in a day in mine..., Hardly ever any idiots or spammers. and Hard to exploit even though I doubt there is any..

Omegix
11-25-2004, 03:28 PM
djridder there is a offical ffr irc channel: irc.eggheads.org #flashflashrevolution

DJRiDDeR-R2
11-25-2004, 05:04 PM
I know there is, What im saying is, Change the chatpage and embed a irc java based client..

Patricoo
11-25-2004, 07:07 PM
The problem with that is there is no music or webcam sharing. However if you DID fine one that does that I'm amazed. Use it right away!

You can't really use Java due to the inability of flexibility. You get a chat and little more.

The system here is cool...and it seems as though our chat has not been updated but the one on the site has. Check it out. Hell at this rate I'm willing to start a pool to buy the new program and send it if thats the case.

On the fact of new mods would be nice. *knocks on the doors of those ranked above him* Come on people! You can't say you've been seeing some good work around here. That chat needs more police. Seriously it does.

And the chats very existance? A good thing. On every site on the earth the chat room they host has nothing to do with the actual game itself (unless the chat is in-game). The point of it is for those people with a common intrest to get thogether. We MUST keep better order in it or face the reputation of being another "yahoo.com" chat!

*shivers*

JenovaSephiroth
11-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Even worse...

*BIG shiver...*

an AIM CHAT!!!!

StormDragonZ
11-26-2004, 01:10 AM
Now let me throw in my two cents. We can say we could use more mods, but it depends on who is chosen to uphold such rights. I feel, and feel free to say whatever about my post, but there are quite a number of people who do deserve such things, and some just don't deserve it at all. If more mods is the solution, we should think of who deserves it the most. Let's not have 500 random users say "Pick Me!" and then make this into a major hassle.

I spoke my mind, feel free to say what you would like on this.
StormDragonZ has spoken.

Synthlight
11-26-2004, 01:16 AM
I promise you if I had a java based irc chat, we would have spammers and people messing things up in less than 4 hours. I have explored many options and a busy chat anywhere must deal with the same problems that the FFR chat must deal with.

Now as far as the outages are concerned. Lately I have had to turn off the chat a few times due to all kinds of problems on the server. This does not mean that it is going away for good.

Cheers,

Synthlight

Patricoo
11-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Oh ho. That about seals the deal...accept on the mod dealy-o. We'll just pretend he's considering the posibilites. :wink: