PDA

View Full Version : 25 Interesting Facts

DotKritic
05-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I compiled some interesting (and odd) facts to share.

1. If you bring a raccoon's head to the Henniker, New Hampshire town hall, you are entitled to receive $.10 from the town.

2. The state of Florida is bigger than England.

3. "Goodbye" came from "God bye" which came from "God be with you."

4. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

5. A whale's penis is called a dork.

Now think about how many times you were called a dork or you called some else a dork.

6. Henry Ford produced the model T only in black because the black paint available at the time was the fastest to dry.

7. Police dogs are trained to react to commands in a foreign language; commonly German but more recently Hungarian.

8. If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will land on heads about 4,950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

9. The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

Blame Dr. Seuss if you don't like being called a nerd.

10. Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.

11. There are more plastic flamingos in America than real ones.

12. You're born with 300 bones, but when you get to be an adult, you only have 206.

13. Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.

14. The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

15. When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes the state's third largest city.

16. "Rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

17. In every episode of "Seinfeld" there is a Superman somewhere.

18. 101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie.

19. Mario, of Super Mario Bros original name was Jumpman, but was changed to Mario to honor the Nintendo of America's landlord, Mario Segali.

20. Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.

21. A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana.

22. There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

23. There is a town in Newfoundland, Canada called Dildo.

24. "I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

25. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."

Which ones were your favorites?

cedolad
05-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Dildo, Newfoundland cracked me up quite well.

UserNameGoesHere
05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
14: What about other quadrupeds?
24: "Go." ... "Go." is a shorter sentence than "I am."

MarioNintendo
05-19-2013, 02:14 PM
25 interesting facts, not top 25!

awein999
05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I find the penny one fascinating.

AlexDest
05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
5. A whale's penis is called a dork.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110108074334/ed/images/b/b3/Kevin.JPG

SC_coolguy44
05-19-2013, 02:22 PM
#23 Dildo was probably the best one on there. #11 flamingos is a pretty scary fact.

Jerry DB
05-19-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm surprised I knew about half of these (3,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,15,20,21,24). I knew the Model T one because in high school I did a biography paper on Henry Ford and the cornhuskers one my old manager told me at Hy-Vee when I used to live in Nebraska. Everything else pretty much came from the internet(half of them Joe Rogan podcast)

The new fact that I'm going to retain the best is number 16 haha

Pseudo Enigma
05-19-2013, 03:45 PM
14: What about other quadrupeds?
24: "Go." ... "Go." is a shorter sentence than "I am."

"Go." lacks subject and object, and is only a verb. It's not a sentence.

#14 makes me mad now. I'm going to google the word and make it part of my new slogan. Row row fight tha powa

UserNameGoesHere
05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
"Go." lacks subject and object, and is only a verb. It's not a sentence.

#14 makes me mad now. I'm going to google the word and make it part of my new slogan. Row row fight tha powa

"Go." is a sentence. The subject is an implied "you" as it is a command. Commands don't require explicit subject. There are many single word sentences possible, such as "Go.", "Run.", "Fight.", "Stop.", etc...

Also, any quadrupeds have four knees, it's just usually the back two bend opposite of ours. So that "elephants are the only ones with four knees" is demonstrably false. What may have been meant is "Four knees which bend like our knees do" but that wasn't stated in the claim, so the claim, as stated, is false.

DotKritic
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
24: "Go." ... "Go." is a shorter sentence than "I am."With "You" understood, "Go." "Stop." "Don't."

Arkuski
05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Knew a few, but these are very good. I swear I've read this list before, what's your source?

Charu
05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Every time I go to this thread, Chrome starts freaking out about Malware.

I think that's an interesting fact, no? Oho.

ilikexd
05-19-2013, 11:22 PM
16 and 22 are wrong

8 is cool, will exploit

mrpreggers
05-19-2013, 11:48 PM

it's MarioNintendo's signature :/

reuben_tate
05-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Well, one could still state that "I am" is still the shortest sentence without an implied subject or verb. The sentence "go" is like a 'sometimes' sentence since it still needs the appropriate context in order for it to make any sense.

Fluvs
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM

You are not the only one

DotKritic
05-20-2013, 03:45 PM
...what's your source?https://twitter.com/fctsofkndneshou

Frank Munoz
05-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Mine too, hmm
and specifically other threads as well.

Says it has something to do with SnipUrl.