PDA

View Full Version : Stepping songs

Blaz0r
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Alright then veterans I have a question for you....

Ok I want to step songs where do I start?
I have stepped a song in Stepmania 3.9a this song would be Newton - Streamline ( I know this is not allowed copyright blah blah) but it was a song i just wanted to try it out on - to practice on.

This is the way I do it so far...
1)Select the Bpm (i have no trouble with this.... i think anyway.)
2)Start recording with the 8th note step on then map out the song while the song is playing, if there are any 16th notes required (or different notes) I then go back to the specific point and map out those notes manually because normally these are quite complex parts of the song and recording does not do the trick.

This is probably a bad way to do it but i just wanted to know how do you guys do and how do I get one of my stepfiles in FFR (I know about copyright aspect of it)

Also would you use DDReam studio over stepmania?

Thanks for reading

Blazor

rushyrulz
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm no expert simfile author, but I usually turn the rate down to somewhere between .5x and .8x so I can hear each beat at a slower pace, which allows me to place arrows more accurately. My biggest thing is stepping to Pitch Relevancy (PR). Low notes go with the left arrow, high notes go with the right arrow.

I use Stepmania to step, but I think DDReam finds the BPM for you as well as any changes (?) I just use mixmeister, which usually gets the job done.

Layering is very important, and sometimes it takes 3+ passes over a specific section to get everything layered correctly.

1. Slow music down to listen for the correct location of the arrow.
2. Layering - putting arrows to multiple sounds at the same time.
3. Create a climax if the song allows, but don't make it too extreme.
4. Make the file flow, don't change the patterns randomly.

who_cares973
12-23-2010, 06:10 PM
i swear by ddream ask anyone. The problem you have is that you're using the record function. Try as hard as you can to not use it for actual stepping. Only use it for what you were using it for just to map out the song.

Blaz0r
12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
ok i am not doubting your knowlage but why is ddream studio better?
Also what is the chance that my simfile appears in FFR?

Also what simfile would you consider the best out of the ones you have done, just curious and thanks for the help.