PDA

View Full Version : This year's Nobel Peace Prize winner is...

bmah
10-9-2009, 10:44 AM
Barack Obama.

This was announced this morning. Discuss.

Adamaja456
10-9-2009, 10:50 AM
yea i saw it this morning.
im semi confused on him getting it =/
i mean, more power to him but yeaa

GG_Guru
10-9-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Obama deserves it if you ask me.
=/

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 11:37 AM

Agreed.

I don't know too much about US history, and I don't even know if my opinion is "valid", but a black president in a racism-known country is just amazing.

bob bob
10-9-2009, 11:42 AM
=/
+1

sayuncle990
10-9-2009, 11:44 AM
Just because he's a black president in a racist country doesn't mean he deserves a peace prize. I mean, the democrats could have thrown anybody up there and McCain would have lost. And then, what has he actually done so far? He made a decision towards peace. That doesn't mean that he can or will prove true with it. I dunno, it just seems like a rushed decision to make him more popular.

A2P
10-9-2009, 11:48 AM
=/

Why do you think he deserves it Guru?

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 11:59 AM
Just because he's a black president in a racist country doesn't mean he deserves a peace prize.

Well, imo, just the fact of a black man doing his walk right to presidence, convincing a fricking lot of white people to vote him, is the most true meaning of peace. Yeah, it is possibly a rushed decision but I think he deserves it just because his efforts. And, man, you can't change a country in a few months, that's a lot to do yet.

I admit I can be wrong, since I'm not even american, lol.

GG_Guru
10-9-2009, 12:12 PM
Why do you think he deserves it Guru?

I will thoroughly explain myself after I get back from school but I'm in class right now so I can't do much.

A2P
10-9-2009, 12:13 PM
And honestly I'm torn. If I say he does deserve it I'm gonna piss off a lot of people who say "NO HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING!!!!!" but if I say he doesn't I'm gonna piss off people who say "ARE YOU KIDDING HE'S HELPED OUT THE WORLD WITH HIS WORDS!!!"

see my dilemma?

Superfreak04
10-9-2009, 12:15 PM
Friday in a stunning decision designed to build momentum behind his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.
I'm happy he got it, my dad on the other hand disagrees.
:D

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 12:17 PM
lol Andrew

MrGiggles
10-9-2009, 12:29 PM
I feel like there has to be someone more deserving of this than Obama. I won't deny he's been helpful and willing to promote peace, but not THAT helpful.

who_cares973
10-9-2009, 12:49 PM
And honestly I'm torn. If I say he does deserve it I'm gonna piss off a lot of people who say "NO HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING!!!!!" but if I say he doesn't I'm gonna piss off people who say "ARE YOU KIDDING HE'S HELPED OUT THE WORLD WITH HIS WORDS!!!"

see my dilemma?

i am indifferent

rajdaddy
10-9-2009, 01:07 PM
You guys are all idiots, Obama hasn't done anything besides broken pretty much every promise he's made.

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 01:21 PM
They're just kissing his ass since he's the first black president. Nobody kissed Lincoln's ass for being the first U.S. president. What's up with that? Oh yeah...he ended slavery. Yup..if it weren't for Lincoln, Obama wouldn't be president.

Silver_Brian
10-9-2009, 01:23 PM
"ARE YOU KIDDING HE'S HELPED OUT THE WORLD WITH HIS WORDS!!!"

So inspirational!

/sarcasm

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 01:30 PM
Read again.My post was my own opinion and had nothing to do with me not reading the article.

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 01:52 PM
You guys are all idiots.

Discuss.

It said DISCUSS, not FLAME, you ****ing idiot! Just give your opinion like everyone else, if you want to troll, go to another thread or go to ****ing 4chan.

What the hell...

who_cares973
10-9-2009, 02:00 PM
you're doing the same thing. you cant extinguish a flame with a flame

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 02:01 PM

in b4 owned.

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 02:02 PM
It said DISCUSS, not FLAME, you ****ing idiot! Just give your opinion like everyone else, if you want to troll, go to another thread or go to ****ing 4chan.

What the hell...http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?p=3252706

Enjoy.

edit: PhaeL: Be quite and stop repeating what other vets have said.

dore
10-9-2009, 02:26 PM
Nobody kissed Lincoln's ass for being the first U.S. president. What's up with that?

George Washington wouldn't've been too happy.

rajdaddy
10-9-2009, 02:28 PM

What the hell...

Your reply seems to matches your user name.

I would totally give my opinion on Obama, but it would be so long and drawn out, and what would be the point anyway?
Like I said most of the people ive come across on this site are dense to say the least, you being the perfect example. All I would get in return is uneducated reply's with no research to back it up, except besides maybe "Well I saw on Fox news blah blah blah T.V said this and that"
You know?

Fudge it, Obamas broken promises:

1. He promised to allow public comment before signing bills.

2.Eliminate capital gains taxes for small businesses.

3.Provide tax credits to businesses for hiring new employees.

4.Allow Americans to withdraw funds from 401(k) and retirement accounts without penalties.

5. Ban lobbyists from serving in his administration.

6.Bring all combat troops home from Iraq in 16 months.

7.sign the "Freedom of Choice Act."

8.Give Americans $4,000 in credits for college and run a "transparent" administration.

I could go on forever, I could also elaborate every broken promise, but its just not worth the effort.

Silver_Brian
10-9-2009, 02:46 PM
uneducated reply's

hehehe

rajdaddy
10-9-2009, 02:47 PM
hehehe

Touche lol

sayuncle990
10-9-2009, 02:57 PM
Did you read the article I posted or did you feel like simply talking out of your ass?

Actually, I did read the article. Here are some quotes:

The peace prize was created partly to encourage ongoing peace efforts but Obama's efforts are at far earlier stages than past winners'. The Nobel committee acknowledged that they may not bear fruit at all.

"The real question Americans are asking is, What has President Obama actually accomplished?" Steele said.

He said he would end the Iraq war but has been slow to bring the troops home and the real end of the U.S. military presence there won't come until at least 2012.

Obama has said that battling climate change is a priority. But the U.S. seems likely to head into crucial international negotiations set for Copenhagen in December with Obama-backed legislation still stalled in Congress.

"So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act," Walesa said.

"This is probably an encouragement for him to act. Let's see if he perseveres. Let's give him time to act," Walesa said.
------
So my point is simply that they are giving him this prize as an encouragement towards peace. Not for anything he's done. And sorry about the late reply, I had class.

fireking550
10-9-2009, 03:23 PM
I am a bit late on getting in to this but here is what I think. The peace prize is given for well on going efforts towards obtaining peace. Obama has "spoke" of efforts to reduce the nuclear efforts in Iraq and the tension between the Muslim world. He really hasn't done a dam thing about it yet though. He has made the point he wants to do something, well so didn't the hated president before him and half a billion other people in the world so do we all deserve to get a peace prize as well?

He got bonus points because he was black. Yes i am going to play the race card. So many others have made the points he has and got nothing for it. It is a act, a show right now not anything of true meaning. IF HE FOLLOWS THROUGH with his words however he is in line to get the prize in maybe a year or so but not now. How many presidents actually stay true to their word? He said before he became president he would end the Iraq war. After reading the news paper in history class we learned he wants to send thousands of more troops there against the will of congress, this is a farce.

MrRubix
10-9-2009, 03:39 PM
I think Optimus Prime deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, at this rate. He saved us from the Decepticons. TWICE.

MrRibbix
10-9-2009, 03:48 PM

I like that. This year's Nobel Peace Prize winner is...who_cares973. Must not forget the numbers.

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 03:54 PM
I had a chance at winning a Nobel Peace Prize. It was only after that when I found out what I could have done would've gotten me it.

jugglinguy
10-9-2009, 03:58 PM
I think Optimus Prime deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, at this rate. He saved us from the Decepticons. TWICE.

Nice facebook status there. :P

(also +1)

The0thMoon
10-9-2009, 04:00 PM

Can't forget Sam Witwicky! he helped.

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 04:03 PM
Your reply seems to matches your user name.

hahaha oh wow

Fudge it, Obamas broken promises:

text

Few months, man. You can't change a country like US IN A FEW MONTHS. Just wait a few more years and see if he can accomplish his tasks.

dragonmegaXX
10-9-2009, 04:07 PM
hahaha oh wow

Few months, man. You can't change a country like US IN A FEW MONTHS. Just wait a few more years and see if he can accomplish his tasks.

Then he should have recieved the prize when he completed his promises.
Its called working for your prize, not giving an IOU.
PS: Dumbass

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 04:15 PM
Then he should have recieved the prize when he completed his promises.
Its called working for your prize, not giving an IOU.
PS: Dumbass

He received the prize because PEACE acts, like the nuclear stuff, not because his politics. If he did promises, I personally think he'll do that in the next year, or years. It's almost the same thing that throw yourself against an army, barehanded. Gandhi did technically the same thing, although he never received Nobel.

PS: "Chit Chat", not "Flames goes HERE", kthxbye.

dragonmegaXX
10-9-2009, 04:17 PM
He received the prize because PEACE acts, like the nuclear stuff, not because his politics. If he did promises, I personally think he'll do that in the next year, or years. It's almost the same thing that throw yourself against an army, barehanded. Gandhi did technically the same thing, although he never received Nobel.

PS: "Chit Chat", not "Flames goes HERE", kthxbye.

"I promise this day that I will personally save every whale in the Arctic, kill every nazi, and rescue every mudkip in danger."

Can I have my award now?

Non smartass answer: People lie, get over it. He shouldnt have one of the greatest awards of our time for promises, he should have them for actions.

GuidoHunter
10-9-2009, 04:19 PM
This award has been a joke for decades. Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama, and Yassir Arafat?

Also, to those who are suggesting that he won this prize on his merits as President: he was chosen after ten days in office as President. Try again.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

PhaeL v2
10-9-2009, 04:41 PM
"I promise this day that I will personally save every whale in the Arctic, kill every nazi, and rescue every mudkip in danger."

Can I have my award now?

Non smartass answer: People lie, get over it. He shouldnt have one of the greatest awards of our time for promises, he should have them for actions.

Now we have a good argument. Yes, you're right, people can lie, but diplomatic issues deserve attention, if you're a president of an influent country like US, the attention should doubles. For this, I personally think he deserved the prize. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry 'bout that.

NFD
10-9-2009, 05:47 PM
but carter was a peanut farmer he's peaceful

A2P
10-9-2009, 06:04 PM
The fact that you noted 3 Democratic winners as a cause for the Nobel Peace Prize being a joke shouldn't mean anything because....?

YEAHHHHHH I was just gonna say

justaguy
10-9-2009, 06:05 PM
let guidohunter be. he still believes in god, bless the poor child.

A2P
10-9-2009, 06:12 PM
Nobody kissed Lincoln's ass for being the first U.S. president.

Did nobody else notice this

NFD
10-9-2009, 06:17 PM
i did but i was waiting for an edit

and with that it is now a sig

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 06:22 PM
i did but i was waiting for an edit

and with that it is now a sigMakes more sense to quote the whole thing.

NFD
10-9-2009, 06:30 PM
not really

why would i quote the whole thing if i only wanted a portion of it

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 06:37 PM
Alright.

Emo_Saur_
10-9-2009, 07:27 PM
So, I was balls deep in the homeless man.

GuidoHunter
10-9-2009, 08:01 PM
The fact that you noted 3 Democratic winners as a cause for the Nobel Peace Prize being a joke shouldn't mean anything because....?

I said nothing of the sort.

I said it was a joke because Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama, and Yassir Arafat all won it.

That is, for the slow, a collection of people undeserving of any award related to peace. It shows that the Peace Prize committee has turned the award into a politically charged instrument with no regard to merit.

Giving it to Obama after the man had accomplished nothing on any grand scale (aside from, as a previous poster (or jewpin) said, simply not being George W. Bush) just makes this fact clear to everyone.

--Guido

Emo_Saur_
10-9-2009, 08:44 PM
Al Gore most of all.

virus003
10-9-2009, 09:09 PM
still waiting on why guru thinks he deserved it

jellygod
10-9-2009, 09:18 PM
i disagree with him getting it, but if yassir can get it i guess anyone can Lulz.

MrGiggles
10-9-2009, 10:00 PM
I won't deny that Obama's done some good stuff, but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Surely there's someone out there more deserving.

I'll just take it as a vote of confidence in what he says he'll accomplish during his term.

delossantosj_2
10-9-2009, 11:30 PM
the dude hasnt done **** as president so far. lol. wtf. i mean isnt the noble prize given to somebody for outstanding achievement??? i mean who gives a **** if he was the first black preisident. not trying to hate on obama or nothing, but surley there HAD to have been SOMBODY that would have been a better choice

XblazzedX
10-9-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm still wondering how he became president, let alone win the Nobel Peace Prize. I can't get a driver's license without showing my birth certificate and he can run the US without showing his? I disagree with him winning it, imo he really hasn't done anything that great to win it.

A2P
10-9-2009, 11:44 PM
I can't get a driver's license without showing my birth certificate and he can run the US without showing his?

???????????????????

DotKritic
10-9-2009, 11:45 PM
???????????????????OMG

dragonmegaXX
10-9-2009, 11:50 PM
OMG

O_O

fido123
10-9-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm still wondering how he became president, let alone win the Nobel Peace Prize. I can't get a driver's license without showing my birth certificate and he can run the US without showing his? I disagree with him winning it, imo he really hasn't done anything that great to win it.

He did show his birth certificate?

foilman8805
10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
it doesn't seem okay to give someone a nobel peace prize when they're sending additional troops to overseas wars we shouldn't even be involved with anyways

but what the **** do i know

fido123
10-10-2009, 12:10 AM
it doesn't seem okay to give someone a nobel peace prize when they're sending additional troops to overseas wars we shouldn't even be involved with anyways

but what the **** do i know

Thing is George started the whole mess. It wouldn't be nice to **** things up then be "OH NEW LEADER ENJOY THE MESS WE MADE 4 U!!!!!11"

foilman8805
10-10-2009, 12:12 AM
can't argue the truth in that, but you certainly can't argue that he said troops would be coming home and now he's sending more

delossantosj_2
10-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Thing is George started the whole mess. It wouldn't be nice to **** things up then be "OH NEW LEADER ENJOY THE MESS WE MADE 4 U!!!!!11"

who gives a **** about bush lol hes out of the picture and obama is just trying to finish the job. the point is obama hasnt done **** so far and yet HE STILL won he noble prize. what are the Swedish thinking?

bmah
10-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Well for one, I'm sure it had very little (actually, nothing) to do with his race as you've stated earlier. I do remember there being a list of reasons, but I don't have the specifics at hand right now.

also, as Obama stated, "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize."

edit: some more reasoning as apparently stated by someone of the Norwegian Nobel Committee: Jagland said the committee whittled down a record pool of 205 nominations and had "several candidates until the last minute," but it became more obvious that "we couldn't get around these deep changes that are taking place" under Obama.

GuidoHunter
10-10-2009, 01:15 AM

Pardon? George W. Bush started this mess? Mmmhmm. It surely wasn't the terrorist networks who have been killing our people, civilians and military alike, on our own soil and abroad, for decades that started this all, no... It had to be Bush. I see.

also, as Obama stated, "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize."

Exhibit A as to why Obama didn't deserve this. He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest. He knows he didn't deserve it, and that to try to claim credit for it would be shooting himself in the political foot.

--Guido

Ground_Breaker
10-10-2009, 03:03 AM
I can't say that he did or did not deserve the award because I'm not on the committee and that's not my job. Pretty sure that the Stortinget didn't point at me (or any of you) and say, "Would you like to help us decide who the next Nobel Peace Prize laureate should be?"

I can at least say that the committee was apparently impressed by the policies that Obama is presenting to the world. Let's say the Nobel Peace Prize is a "politically charged instrument." Let's say they gave it to him just to give his policies more global recognition, and to help jump-start their progress. If that's all the award really is, then the other 204 nominations must not have had global policy ideas worth the committee's formal endorsement. They must not have had ideas worth jump-starting. Same thing for Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Yassir Arafat, they must have impressed the committee in a similar way.

He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest. He knows he didn't deserve it, and that to try to claim credit for it would be shooting himself in the political foot.

But by not taking credit for it, he shoots himself in the political foot anyway as far as you're concerned. All this says is, "I don't really like Obama all that much."

Grandiagod
10-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Exhibit A as to why Obama didn't deserve this. He'll be the first to toot his own horn and say, "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT GEORGE W. BUSH!" in any circumstance he can stretch to deem appropriate (and even in those where he can't). Yet when he's awarded such a "prestigious" award, he's suddenly modest.

To be fair, saying you're not Bush isn't really bragging. It's like saying you're not retarded.

Grandiagod
10-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Also, I figured it out, Guido is Glenn Beck

Grandiagod
10-10-2009, 03:31 AM
God that I don't believe in help us all

adlp
10-10-2009, 04:24 AM
"sure, i wasn't a great president, but i won the nobel peace prize! ^______^"

smartdude1212
10-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Hitler was also named man of the year for 1938 and look at the destruction he began to cause a year later.

Just sayin'.

justaguy
10-10-2009, 05:36 AM
blah blah blah im from texas i like bush i believe in god deal widit
--Guido

no one wants to hear ya ****

Mollocephalus
10-10-2009, 08:02 AM
fortunately guidohunter's horribly bad post have been compensated by good posts.

MrRubix
10-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Hitler was also named man of the year for 1938 and look at the destruction he began to cause a year later.

Just sayin'.

Godwin's Law is now in full effect.

Emo_Saur_
10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
no one wants to hear ya ****

Apparently you do only because you read the post. If you just so happen to not read the post, then you're a babbling idiot that has no idea what we're talking about. It's super upsetting how butthurt people get over the name Obama. He's our president, he's not the anti-christ, the Nobel Peace Prize is to give the rest of the world some incentive on helping gain peace and prosperity with what Obama is trying to put into place. I will admit, I don't like Obama's policies and all, but we have to live with what we have rather you're poor, rich, illiterate, mentally retarted, underage and can't even express your views correctly because you don't ACTUALLY watch the news or pay attention in your Economics class or US Gov't, the list could go on but you get it. Now, anyone who makes an uneducated post showing nothing but your lack of intelligence will be disregarded and laughed at.

Much like many of you will because your head is really far up your ass.

Emo_Saur_
10-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I wasn't aware that it suddenly became a tool of political use only when the winners were involved in politics. I suppose Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, as well as other laureates, also accepted it to push their own political agendas.

Double post. Oh well.

No, they got it because they actually proved to the world they deserved it. Not to gain recognition and push their own views and actions.

MrRubix
10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
As they put it:

NYT: "The committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obama’s diplomatic efforts so far rather than reward him for events in the future.”

This is the saddest and most blatantly politicized excuse for giving a Nobel Peace Price. Ever. Awarding people for their *great potential* is done with gold star stickers, not Nobel Prizes.

At least Al Gore and Jimmy Carter had DONE things, even if I wasn't fond of them. The last sitting US President who earned a Nobel Prize (Woodrow Wilson) actually DID something, too (something about a World War, oh, I dunno). Don't forget Teddy Roosevelt who ALSO actually did something to earn it (brokering the Treaty of Portsmouth between Russia and Japan, ending the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese War... actually causing peace, DOMINATED). Compare any of this to a man who has done nothing but spew carbon dioxide into the atmosphere from his airplane and his mouth around the world shows just how sadly debased the Nobel has come in recent times.

The Nobel Prize was supposed to be the neutral honor from the neutral country, awarding the finest accomplishments of man towards making the world a better and more peaceful place for his fellow man. That's what gave it meaning, and what gave it power. It was NOT meant to try and play a role in using influence to affect events as they unfold. It is too bad for these old European men, then, that they have so debased the Nobel Peace Prize that it doesn't have any influence left.

At least we can still take the Nobel Prizes in chemistry and physics seriously, until they start giving the prize to someone who *might* invent cold fusion or something. After all, giving a Nobel to someone who might do something is too silly to consider... hm, wait a second, there...

GuidoHunter
10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I wasn't aware that it suddenly became a tool of political use only when the winners were involved in politics. I suppose Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, as well as other laureates, also accepted it to push their own political agendas.

Okay, I admit that I overstepped a little there. How about, "It shows that the Peace Prize committee has turned the award into a politically charged instrument with only occasional regard to merit.

Sure, several laureates in recent history have been very deserving of the prize, but several have also fallen far short of any standard for it, even doing what they can to ensure a less peaceful world at times.

--Guido

GG_Guru
10-10-2009, 11:24 AM
This is why I hate politics...
:(

GuidoHunter
10-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd be willing to agree with you about winners being unworthy if I was able to see the other candidates and judge for myself, but the rules of the Nobel Peace Prize state that the committee keeps the records of the other candidates sealed for 50 years. So until then, even though Obama winning was surprising to me as well, I'm forced to accept that their decision was based on the best factors in mind and they made the best judgment possible.

You're never *forced* to plug your ears and shut your eyes.

Hell, just see Rubix's post above; the committee itself is telling you that the decision wasn't made on merit.

Also remember: ten days.

--Guido

Ground_Breaker
10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
So what's the problem here? Are we just mad, as Rubix said, because we can't take the Nobel Peace Prize seriously anymore?

If this thread is still about Obama and not about the ethics of the committee members, then let me ask this: what is the harm in this situation? Are there not potentially many ways that Obama could use this to improve the global perception of the United States? Also, isn't it healthier for everyone if we don't assume that he will waste such an opportunity?

Syhto
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm just going to say a few things, I don't want to get in any arguments. First of all, in regards to broken promises, everything changes when a president enters office. No one president has gone in and done everything they said they would. Things change, opinions change, they become more educated as to how their efforts would play out. They choose what they think is best, based on the information they gather by all of the other experts helping them along. Honestly, I dare you do go find a president that didn't break one promise, in regards to campaign vs. presidency.

Notwithstanding, a lot of his claims were severely overblown. I don't even like Obama, I'm republican. I don't even really like him as a man. But what can I say? Are you going to flame me and convince me that he's amazing? No, I'll answer that for you. You aren't.

I personally think it's downright stupid that Obama has won the nobel peace prize. Once again, that's just opinion, and I really don't justify that opinion based on facts. I feel that way, but I don't go believe it based on logic. Obama is not the first president to earn the peace prize.

Many others have. I found one example: http://askgleaves.blogspot.com/2005/02/nobel-prize-winning-presidents.html

Look at what these presidents accomplished. Doesn't it seem like a rip off that Obama won, when all of these men did things such as go to war for several years, and actually accomplished amazing things in office? IMO, he's out of place.

There are a lot more social factors to the decision of the committee, personally, I think this is a rip off. Don't say anything dj shox! I read your article! But did you notice that is yahoo news, and did you not notice that for quite awhile yahoo has had a liberal bias?

Well... Obama speaks correctly when he says he doesn't belong there with past winners of the award. He's totally right, he's completely out of place. I think this is all ridiculous to be honest. Ridiculous.

Syhto
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
everything has a bias

edit: shox, I read and understand the article. it doesn't matter. People will say what they will, but it doesn't lead me to believe any differently as to the means of obama's nomination. did no one ever teach you to leave well enough alone?

Syhto
10-10-2009, 01:40 PM
you don't even know my logic, gr8 logic. this isn't how you get people on your side.

GuidoHunter
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
And apparently to you, when the news source speaks about positive events in relation to Obama it must be a liberal bias. Great logic.

Well, you've gotta put on a pretty heavy spin to make anything he does sound good. =)

--Guido

Syhto
10-10-2009, 01:49 PM
that... isn't even what happened.

cya

MrRubix
10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
For all we know, Obama may indeed be instrumental in somehow promoting peace over the next few years or contributing something great. But right now, he has NOT earned the privilege of the Nobel Peace Prize. Look at what the Prize is intended for, how it's awarded, and who it's gone to in the past, and it's clear that Obama was awarded this thing prematurely. Again, they've even said themselves it was meant as an "enhancement." My point is that the Nobel Peace Prize loses its value once it's awarded as something to "enhance" efforts. It should be awarded to "reward" immense efforts and success, and that clearly has not happened yet.

This has really nothing to do with whether or not you like Obama.

Anakinstepwalker
10-10-2009, 02:02 PM
You guys are all idiots, Obama hasn't done anything besides broken pretty much every promise he's made.

U need to close your lips on that comment.. Try reading the news or actually watching CNN.. Obama has done lots already, and hasnt even been in office that long. Before u make a statement make sure you know what your talking about please!

MrRubix
10-10-2009, 02:19 PM
You claimed a bias from Yahoo supposedly, and I'm not sure what you think is biased information when they're reporting a factual event.

Every information source has a bias by its very definition -- the nature of the bias differs, though, and some people dislike certain biases.

delossantosj_2
10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
U need to close your lips on that comment.. Try reading the news or actually watching CNN.. Obama has done lots already, and hasnt even been in office that long. Before u make a statement make sure you know what your talking about please!

name five things he's done so far to CHANGE. he hasnt because he was just brought into presidency not even a year ago lol. not trying to hate on obama or nothing. i mean i like the dude. its just like what rubix said. its dumb because he didnt deserve it YET. maybe next year i would have given it to him.

DotKritic
10-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Just about every figure in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdGENWDzgw) should have one.

edit: Oh wait. They did.

pokelda
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM

oh no you di'int

rajdaddy
10-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Like I said most of the people ive come across on this site are dense to say the least, you being the perfect example. All I would get in return is uneducated reply's with no research to back it up, except besides maybe "Well I saw on Fox news blah blah blah T.V said this and that"
You know?

I called it.

EDIT: How the funk do you "close your lips" on a comment?
Cmon now girl, this ain't the ghetto, we try to make sense here.
Save that for east Oakland.

massflavour
10-10-2009, 05:54 PM

lmfao CNN.

who_cares973
10-10-2009, 06:08 PM
just about every figure in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iddgenwdzgw) should have one.

Edit: Oh wait. They did.

NICKLEBACK

o

pokelda
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

DotKritic
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.Fix'd.

Prime8
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
You don't give a kid a trophy, then let them out on the field and hope he does well.

virus003
10-11-2009, 12:06 AM

you don't know what you're talking about
do you even know when barack got nominated for the award and why he "earned" it

Mollocephalus
10-11-2009, 01:33 AM
hey guys

politics

broken promises

yeah

deal w/it

(at least obama is no republican jerk)

A2P
10-11-2009, 02:34 AM
This thread

who_cares973
10-11-2009, 02:37 AM
there are mice afoot

foilman8805
10-11-2009, 02:45 AM
i see a mice

NFD
10-11-2009, 03:01 AM
not gonna sleep tonight

kmay
10-11-2009, 07:05 AM
i see a mice

???

DotKritic
10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
This just in...

This year's Nobel Prize Winner is...

SATAN!!!

PS. Not insulting Obama, but Satan really did win it.

bob bob
10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
woo satan

pokelda
10-11-2009, 01:10 PM
hey guys

politics

broken promises

yeah

deal w/it

(at least obama is no republican jerk)

berlusconi

wrecked bye

funmonkey54
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM

The amount of stupidity in this statement is pretty epic. Borderline Guru comment right there.

MrGiggles
10-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I feel bad for Obama more than anything. I mean, he spends 25 hours a day trying to fix a country that's collapsed around his head and then all of a sudden people are pissed at him for winning an award he doesn't even think he deserves.

Now, by "people" I don't mean Syhto and Guido. You bros seem like you're ticked at the committee more than Obama for the award fiasco, which I can totally see.

Also, originally I said I wanted to take it as a vote of confidence for what he says he'll accomplish in the future.

BUT THEN
NYT: "The committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obama’s diplomatic efforts so far rather than reward him for events in the future.”hmmm.

Okay, so now I'm just hoping that they were just too lazy to find someone better qualified than Obama. Because if there isn't anybody doing a better job at peace, God help us all.

who_cares973
10-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't understand it. ;/
I mean, I think he's a good president and all (probably because I'm a democrat)

i hope you're kidding

revolutionomega
10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I must agree with Rubix on this matter. The award seemed pre-determined and under-thought. Surely the committee could've secured a candidate that has DONE more to their name, not just won office and spoke of a few plans to be put into place.

In terms of the War situation, I believe many people have discussed people who should have won the Peace Prize that ALSO fought their wars. Needless to say, why would that factor make Obama any less worthy of the prize? Sometimes, peace must be achieved through the eradication of a greater evil. Now, many people will also have opinions on what the "evil" is, as I know this country (during the Bush era) took full advantage of overpowering nations after they had cleared the air of most of the terrorists, then practically pillaged their oil supply. And in terms of the discrepancies represented under the Bush administration (I believe Guido was commenting on this looking for some wrong?), the mess he caused was due to his force of pushing troops into Afghanistan and Iraq pre-maturely before the Congress even allowed it and completely destroyed villages having nothing to do with the Terrorists "searching" for nuclear warheads and terrorist leaders that weren't even there. Besides that we tried to input upon the people a system of government they were not okay with overstepping our power making it seem like the U.S. was the new Mongolian Empire (I know this is a bit extreme of a reference).

Just sayin'. Main point: I don't think Obama should have won the award, and he is still in the works (as that link that I believe djshox posted) with many of his projects. I hope he can turn things around as I supported him at first as well because of his INSPIRATION to people everywhere. This is always a first step as it gets people thinking, listening, and willing to become active in an environment that may be less than ideal.

P.S. I saw that new Michael Moore film "Capitalism: A Love Story". Actually quite intriguing and worth going to see.

foilman8805
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
They probably gave Obama the Peace Prize to put some pressure on him to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. With the generals of the military over there calling for an additional 40,000 troops, Obama has a lot of pressure on him now. He's either going to piss off the entire United States military by denying troops, or he's going to look really dumb holding a Peace Prize in his hands while he sends tens of thousands of more troops overseas.

Tough situation for him. I wonder how he sleeps at night.

GuidoHunter
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
He's either going to piss off the entire United States military by denying troops, or he's going to look really dumb holding a Peace Prize in his hands while he sends tens of thousands of more troops overseas.

Tough situation for him. I wonder how he sleeps at night.

Incidentally, the only way to achieve peace is to send the troops over and eradicate Al Qaeda.

--Guido

MrRubix
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
He probably sleeps fine. I don't doubt that he's trying his best -- I just think this prize puts Obama in an extremely awkward position and is going to cause him more political pressure that he just does not need right now.

And yes, the problem is that Al Qaeda's presence will pretty much ensure that peace is never achieved... especially since their religious foundations say it's okay to kill innocents in jihad. It's a tricky situation for anyone.

Bill Kaulitz
10-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Why did he get it?
I'm too lazy to read all your posts. =/

Afrobean
10-12-2009, 05:02 AM
I mean, I think he's a good president and all
Even though he hasn't done anything but talk?

Do you even know what the limits of the President's power are?

Incidentally, the only way to achieve peace is to send the troops over and eradicate Al Qaeda.
Religious extremism cannot be eradicated. Kill all of the followers in one area and there are still more yet. More will pop up.

A "War on Terror" is an unwinnable war. What we need to do is get to a point of an acceptable situation (American Imperialism?) and live with it. But there is no winning.

ps yeah I'm just now looking at this thread too because I figured it was a bunch of braying in support of the man. I'm going to go look through and read the whole thing now.

funmonkey54
10-12-2009, 05:09 AM
And yes, the problem is that Al Qaeda's presence will pretty much ensure that peace is never achieved... especially since their religious foundations say it's okay to kill innocents in jihad. It's a tricky situation for anyone.

I suggest smallpox blankets and concentration camps.

Mollocephalus
10-12-2009, 07:49 AM
i suggest eradicating religion fundamentalism in eastern countries firts

giganutsauce
10-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Listen, Obama....I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but mother Theresa was one of the best Nobel peace prize winners of all time....OF ALL TIME!

Eddie the munster
10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
i suggest eradicating religion fundamentalism in eastern countries firts

i'm going to make an attempt at solving this will i get my reward beforehand

lord_carbo
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
For every MLK and Mohammed Yumus, there's an Arafat, Kissinger, and Gore.

The only nobel worth caring about is the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.

Niala
10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
He probably sleeps fine. I don't doubt that he's trying his best -- I just think this prize puts Obama in an extremely awkward position and is going to cause him more political pressure that he just does not need right now.

Just pointing out that he's pretty much had this so-called pressure to do well since he's been in office: the announcement of him winning the prize was done only 11 days after the official inauguration. Basically, it seems like they were giving it to him because they like the ideas he stands for and his ideas for the future... Doesn't really count, might as well have given it to some homeless hippy who wants nothing but world peace.

Mollocephalus
10-13-2009, 01:01 AM
i'm going to make an attempt at solving this will i get my reward beforehand

sure what kind of weapon do you like the most

rqm
10-13-2009, 09:05 AM
afrobean and carbo listen to glen beck on the reg

Eddie the munster
10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
sure what kind of weapon do you like the most

Subliminal Programming in lady gaga music videos

Mollocephalus
10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
i'm sorry, that has been already taken :(

will a laser pasta cannon work

Afrobean
10-13-2009, 10:41 AM
afrobean and carbo listen to glen beck on the reg
Actually, when I first saw Glenn Beck, he seemed like a fine fellow.

Then I realized he was insane and that the ideals he claimed to believe in were just lies. Where are the good libertarian or constitutionalist role models this generation needs? Let's kick out the insane religious fundamentalists masquerading as constitutionalists and put some positive characters in the media for once.